Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ok, going to stop posting and breath on this for a few days.
    I will say though as it sits right now besides any wonkyness with a roof laying in place and not completely fitted. In person it looks fairly well proportioned and Hot Rod as hell. Maybe the windshield lay back is a little soft especially if the car gains some rake. The quarter glass seems maybe street rod esc in size(even at 5.5"), and certainly the rear tires seem very small in today's homogenized scene.
    I just think I'm wanting a bit of the "lakes" look or the don't touch it or you might get a chunk ripped out of your ass followed by shots in the belly button for a month.
    Wyatt

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

On a tire note wouldn't it make since to have a tall tire on back if your going for a lakes vibe?

I'm not necessarily talking aesthetic wise as much as the thought that taller tires = taller final drive ratio = higher top end?

3. Are you going to chop up that flex next?

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

No but I've been wanting body match steelies with baby moons since I brought home. Now I just want it to disappear so I can get a Custom 49 caddy, 55 Pontiac gasser, or a mild shoebox. You know, a modern driver.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I know it needs 18s out back but I really love these Lincoln wheels. I do not want to put a 7.50 on it. Resisting to get a tire that totally follows the quarter wheel opening to me helps this "authentic" vibe.
    Oh and the car has 91 cuts. Now back to contemplating another 90.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If anyone needs help with a comparison in height. I measured my wife's 09 Scion Xb today. It is much lower than my Flex. Her roof is 61.5" above the middle door jam. I've never heard a complaint out of her getting in. Hubba Hubba right now is 55.3/4" at the crown of the header panel insert opening, 56.5" at the B-pillar(basically at my huge pectoral muscles, (I'm 5,10.625"), and 58 at the back of the roofs highest point.

loudbang likes this.
  8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The cowl/hood weirdnesseses appear to be messing with the feing shui of the roof.
    Perhaps a correction of those angles, even with some vies grip attachment my provide some valuable visual relief of your current roof conundrum.

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Matt, the hood totally lines up with the belt line when it is secured. I spent what seems like immeasurable amounts of time screwing with that stuff.
    If you can look through the "wonkyness" here in person. It all seems to look very well proportioned.
    Again I'm having trouble with what I feel looks like a little long and a little tall quarter glass. Remember I've already shortened the quarter panels two inches. I'm in love with what appears to be a angle cut with the roof's basic setting on. If you look at say Poteet's 34 at seven inch chop. You see how the "drip rail" runs much closer to parallel the door window frame.
    [​IMG]
    I'm convinced this car's windshield frame is taller than mine. I prefer the angle of my door tops. I want to be closer to the Rudy/Gibbons 34.
    [​IMG]
    The only reason I haven't cut it all back apart is I'm trying to gain some self-reassurance that continued alterations will garner what I see in my head. It ain't so easy to go back.
    I have just a tad over 5 5/8" windshield glass height at the center. I really don't want to cut it anymore. I want to lean it back more but it looks really good right now with the roof height and dog house size. I'm concerned if I cut the whole top down any, that I will for sure have to pull the back of the car in. I am not excited about cutting the frame again.
    So basically I think it looks ok if I pull it together right now, but...
    then I close my eyes or go in the house and think it's lame. It just doesn't leave an impression with my soul. I'm not hearing George play bad to bone ya know? It's important to me that it's a head snap'r at least to me when I go to get in it. I don't mean from hitting my head on the door jam.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sounds like fitting the windshield and side glass then the drip rails to that might be best then? And pancake the roof to match?

Be nice to see it in person.

Runnin shine likes this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you like the Rudy chop have you thought of asking him what he'd change on yours?

12. Wyatt give Rudy a call. We hang out every year at Lars. He knows where the BBQ is every year. Last year we drank are asses off. He's cool and will help you any time. His shop is always full of hotrods. It's called Fullerton fabrications. Google eyes it. We kicked back and went over hypersonic front to back and he even said just leave it alone. I was in his shop when he was building that 34. It's looks even crazier in person. Man crush.;)

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ok I would like to try to just lay the windshield back maybe another 5 degrees.
    And see what this will allow me to drop the roof straight down. Or maybe just a touch of angle down. I again want to say how I like the way the upper part of the door runs to the lower
    [​IMG]
    Besides having to cut the frame or back of the car in to re-balance it's proportions again, I am very concerned with head room. If I sit on a 2x4 turned tall ways, 3.5" I do not have a lot of room up there. Mind you there's no give to this simulated seat foam and my back runs pretty vertical without something to lean back on.
    I don't think I know anyone personally adult wise besides myself that would still contort themselves to ride in the back. This crap is getting hard on me too, although the intentions of the back seat is for kids. Yes there more head room in back but this doesn't take into account that the stock style back seat will be much taller than the front. Then there's the frame kick up back there to consider.
    My gut is telling me I should just go ahead and chop it another 5/8s or so and balance everything out again Proportionately. Then I might see the car as bad ass. I may loose my wife as a passenger but I'm the one who has to love the thing, I paid for it, built it, and poured my vision into it.
    Tim as for the Rudy car it's pretty clear it's angle chopped and the rear window area drastically leaned forward like Squab wants me to do. I think I prefer it closer to the stock shape back there.
    Sorry to be beating this horse. I will get it figured out. Although I've been sick all week(thanks Saskatchewan) it's all I've been thinking about basically, well that and giving the HAMB a hard time.

14. .... Dan Gurney is on topic. Race car driver. Race car. Gurney Bubble that bitch, for helmet hair.

shelbygurney.jpg
    GurneyBubble.JPG

... and he's from Texas ! Carroll Shelby's buddy.

Plenty of head room, maybe put four on for back seat growing room ! :)

Get better soon Wyatt. I read build threads. Otherwise, I'm aimless wandering in HAMB life.

"What color should my wheels be?" :D Eeeeeeeek' !!! :confused:

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Crap!!! I haven't even thought about my brain bucket! You know how high those 40s pudding bowls sit? Yikes! I will be racing this thing that's for sure. I'll be the one going up the hill in the green monster with the white head pimple ready to pop.
    Magnesium is the best wheel color.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think the mega wedge chop works on the coupe because the roof is shorter. With a sedan it gets pretty exaggerated pretty quickly.

It'd be worth talking to him either way. Tell him what you want it to look like, not that you want it to look like his car. The guys got a good eye it'd be worth the effort I think.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That being said the wrong rake and tires along with the rest of the car not being there is going to throw your proportions off to some degree as well.

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That's a valid point Timothy. I tend to think of any extra rake from dropping the front when the engines in or raising the back with a larger tire, as effecting the top of the hood, leaning the windshield too far forward, or grill shell, and maybe making the side of the car look faster. I hadn't thought about it making the roof angle too exaggerated like some crazy Barris T-bucket.
    I also look at its soft mild rake currently as 40s esc. Remember the chassis is not slammed all the way ala Bones or Spencer. Funny cause I did this on purpose. Now I keep wanting to get the back lower by an inch. The front I'm guessing will come down a 1.5 maybe 1.750". If get a bigger back tire this could lift the back of the car a half inch.
    If you don't think a 1/2" doesn't matter, then you don't see details very well. I you do though, your an artist.

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I just remembered that I keep forgetting I may need to take a slice out of the top of roof section to get the pillars to lay back some more.
    This would probably resolve the problem of leaving my windshield the same size and lowering the roof down as much as I'd like to see.
    I hope I'm not bothering everyone with this crap. I think it shows how serious I am about building a successful concept not just another car in the drab rows of a car event parking lot.

20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Looking at the last side pic you just posted.

Just leave the windshield, fix the "forehead" area just above it. That is what is messing with the look. It looks too thick.

Runnin shine likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The half inch thing actually plays into my tires and etc thought pretty well.

Example.
    Your crushing your brain OCD style on the proportions of this quarter window.

If you see more or less of the quarter below the window it's going to make the window feel bigger or smaller.

The correct tire will reveal a different amount of quarter than shown and as such could make a half inch of difference.

The difference a different set of wheels and tires makes to how the shape/chop/ of a car looks is crazy. Some short fat radials on some 15 inch street rod wheels on a model A changed out for a set of 16" 40 ford wheels and skinner taller bias plies and the car looks like it's had total plastic surgery not just a hair cut.

I wonder if you found a perspective point to sit at every time and the. Sat shit on top of the tire and looked at it again ifnit would change how your seeing the roof.

Put a tuna can on it, then a coke can, then maybe just lay a jacket over the wheel.

There are lots of things that make a chop look like it does that arent the cuts made

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

~ I'm only continuing to chime in because your obviously still obsessing over it so i figured I'd try to give feedback that hasn't been said yet

brEad and loudbang like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also could you post a photo of it with the grill on but the hood off?

I was thinking last night and where you have such a radical wedge chop you ended up with some people questioning the hoodline.

I'm wondering if it isn't throwing off how the roof looks in contrast. I often feel that hood and grills on early cars land in the group of things that just because the measure right doesn't mean they look right.

Getting rid of that hood may let us see the roof in a different light so to speak.

Figure it's worth a look, I know I'd rather drop a grill she'll 5/8 than chop a car another 5/8

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Sometimes plans change, especially where budget intervenes.
    I really wanted to weld on 4" risers to my intake. I have been on the prowl for a set for some time. But just can't justify 150 that could go somewhere else.
    For $20 I got a rough cast pair that are pretty short at 1.5".
    [​IMG]
    Now I've been smoothing them out and shaping the fronts a bunch. They were flat but I wanted them to closer resemble the intakes intended shape. So I ground out soft curves in'm.
    [​IMG]
    I'm just going to fake it the rest of the way since there wasn't enough metal to make it the same. They also need dividers welded in. Unless I can do something rad and machine out the divider in the intake. This could throw off the whole 180 degree or intended whatever design is going on with it. I haven't looked it over.
    I figure with some thick phenolic spacers it'll look better, function well, and saved some cash.

loudbang, Tim_with_a_T, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Historic old metal rules...;) aged to perfection....

loudbang likes this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah Stogy, now I have to polish these in a manner where they look like they belong there. I may leave the weld visible. Then polish over it all to look like it was modified back in the day. I certainly couldn't of slapped new shiny spacers in between my cool old intake and badass old chrome carbs. My scoops are new but I ruffed them up.
    You should see how ugly I've been making my new toe rest.
    Now if I could score some 70 year old phenolic.

27. Squablow

Squablow

I've got similar spacers for the Sharp intake for my T. Mine were machined and my intake has a very old polish job on it so I need to make them match. My spacers match the carb bases on the intake really well but the machined finish, not so much. If you figure out how to get the polishing to match, please post what worked and what didn't.

loudbang likes this.
  28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

You could make dividers out of phenolic and glue them in. Make them line up perfectly with the original ports.

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Matt! I think that's exactly what I'll do. Don't you just hate when someone thinks of the obvious before you? Now I feel stupid.

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Happy to be of service sir!

loudbang likes this.