Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Whole Kit & Caboodle Up for Grabs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Well it's new to me, so thanks!

At least it's pretty dry in that part of the country, so the cars will not rust so quickly.

On the positive side, the owner gathered all these neat old cars to one place, so possibly they can be sold off to a few hundred enthusiasts who can take on one or two each, by whoever buys the property.

c2355 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I gathered he wants to sell it as a package the property, the cars, tools, everything...all or nothing. Basically a business for sale...our kind of business...Grease for Peace...;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  4. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know what the real estate is worth, but a million seems a bit steep. If Canada has anything like our EPA, they will want all the dirt washed after the cars are gone to make sure there's no oil in the soil. That can get pricey.

I wonder how much you'd get if you bought the property and auctioned all the cars off? Who is the target buyer at that price? My guess is he doesn't really want to sell it.

Neat to look at though. A few gems in there yet.

Stogy likes this.

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think everyone on the H.A.M.B should chip in and buy it, have an auction and then divide the money amongst those that chipped in!

CoolYourJets, Texas Webb and Stogy like this.
  6. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Judging from a couple articles I've read about this property for sale...it used to be an old wrecking yard, so it's zoned commercial (and grandfathered in with whatever zoning a wrecking yard needs), which is why he bought it in the first place. There's a house (small, though) and a shop, and a bunch of steel beams for building additional covered storage.
    Looking at the region, there are a lot of properties in the mid-400s to 500s, with not much in the way of land. So while this place may be a bit steep, it comes with a fair chunk of land relatively near the lakes (major tourist destination in BC summers) and it's also very unique. There may not be another place in western Canada quite like it.

c2355 and Stogy like this.
  7. blackanblue

blackanblue

Holy moly stogy at first glance I thought that was in Ontario if you consider the cost of real estate round here its a steal,not that I have an extra million to put out.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He really is torn in selling...he was emotional in the interview. He eluded that he chose the more desirable models when collecting.
    He is not getting any younger, is just into his sixties and doesn't want his wife saddled with this should he pass.
    Sounds as if the passion will never fade just be reduced to a smaller footprint.

9. Mine isn't as good a collection as his is. Im past 65 and realize I need to make some changes. I would sell the entire lot ,land buildings, junk ect for $150,000. Hoarding isn't a fatal disease. Most die with their hoard not because of it.

49ratfink and Stogy like this.
  10. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

slv63, lewk, drdave and 1 other person like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wolf your a collector somewhat like this fellow and I see this type of activity as clever marketing and doing what you enjoy and getting something out of it in the end. A nest egg of sorts. Not a typical way of putting away for retirement but knowing there is a market for buildable tin makes it viable. Ya gotta have the space too. It sounds like you do.
    The problem arises when to decide and how to move the stuff.
    He did say it takes a lot to find the right
    buyer. So think about thinning the collection and taking the dough and enjoy. You win and they win.
    Good luck on moving forward.

12. YJ4000

YJ4000

That would be my dream come true. I can't convince my wife to move to Canada. Oh well dreams are good to have.

Ryan.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a nice property with quite the view...

15. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I have met this guy a few times. I attend a show in Penticton BC every year for the past 10 years. He usually shows up. He is particular fond of 69 Chevelles. He's a big boy. I would say about 6'6'' or so, long blond dreadlocks. Looking at him you wouldn't think he was a car guy. He likes to talk.........alot. I guess all the stories he told me weren't all bullsh*t.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Mine is a hobby that kinda got out of hand. Then you get that Hoarder mentality. You bought it because you liked it. Then you sell some stuff. and very soon spend the money and don't have the stuff or the money. Ive decided to list some parts in the Hamb Classifieds every week. If it don't sell I will just keep it for another decade or two LOL.

Stogy likes this.
  17. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Ryan, they might have better weather than you do in Pulaski. Lol

18. rfraze

rfraze

This would be perfect for that TV show that comes in, takes all the cars, and builds one or more for the owner. I'll try to think of the name.

19. Now if I could just hit the lottery. :)

20. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

rfraze , I think it was car hoarders and now called rusted development, Rick Dore

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike (the owner) was saying if you fix/restore/mod the cars and move them the land would be free and clear. Another way of looking at it was the money to be made in the car wheeling and dealing would net significantly more than the initial investment. There is a vision, motivation and knack for this kind of enterprise.

In BC and much of Canada the property values have skyrocketed and @blackanblue is correct many lesser properties are fetching these kind of dollars. Still 1.4 mill is no small denomination to come up with regardless of opportunity. Home ownership these days is becoming a pipe-dream.

22. Kinda off topic but land is still relatively cheap in Arkansas. Two years ago I bought a 2600 square foot house and 5 acres on Hwy 412 atop Bowman Hill just south of Hardy. My youngest son and his family now live there. I paid the princely sum of $841.00. That's correct eight hundred and forty one dollars. I bought it at the s commissioners of state land tax forfeiture auction. Go to COSL for more info.

Stogy and dan31 like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. bct

bct

that's the white post auto museum in the pic . not for sale. the land, across the highway, is worth 500k so the shitty old cars are about 4k each . publicity stunt from a guy who thrives on the attention.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bct I gather what you are saying is these places are neighbours. The links are a mixed bag of pictures perhaps mostly from the for sale property but some from the museum. It is true when you get away from the metropolis the value of land and homes is lesser. Your also saying that there is a great deal of work to bring the investment into balance. It would definately have to be a business venture for sure. He did say it would be a timely adventure.

The 35 coupe is not the museums correct?
    Thanks for adding clarity to this.

26. I don't think there are a lot of ready willing and able buyers for project cars. I had a 59 ford station wagon. I put it on EBay with a $200 starting bid and no reserve. Not a single bid. I eventually sold it to a guy for a demolition derby car for $400. It was the star at the fourth of july derby. and after it was beat to death he sold it to the crusher for about what he paid me. A 64 Plymouth wagon met the same fate.

Stogy likes this.
  27. bct

bct

The coupe is at the museum. Not sure but the guy who owns the whole complex must own the 3 window. It's been there thru the numerous management at the museum.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hence the saying buy it because you want it not to make money on it. That fellow eluded that this business takes time to find the right buyers and it can take a very long time. I guess it is a sales proposition and its either feast or famine.

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw the coupe in the pics on the real estate ad...again property lines are very close here and no doubt irregular and the fact there is cars everywhere can lead to confusing connections. I saw that post coupe a while back on a car on post thread here. It has an ambience we can relate to.

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There have been several of those types around here. Salvage yards that were started before there were any laws governing them. Most of the cars were free to their father or grandfather. They saw some old cars going for high prices and think the cars they have are worth as much. They had chances to sell some for a few hundred each but figured they would be worth more later. Many don't have titles. Some had trees growing through them. The land values got higher so the property taxes got higher. Taxing entities used to wait a few years but they need money now and don't wait over 6 months before going after delinquent taxes. The property gets sold for pennies on the dollar including all of the cars. If they had scrapped the cars they could have probably gotten enough to pay the property taxes for many years.