Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Upholstery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROBERT JAM, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

i need some pics of upholstered roadster seats. Looking for patterns I can take to the guy who's going to do my seat to show him what I want. Thanks Bob

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a pic of a narrowed Dodge Caravan seat that I covered myself. Not perfect but not bad. Going in my 31 roadster project. Was going for the old school tuck and roll look. 20160616_131446.jpg

rjones35 likes this.
  3. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Yes that's what I made my seat frame from. It turned out just the right size. Now I'm looking gor pattern ideas. Thanks for showing yours nice job

4. Wyld Deuce

Wyld Deuce
    from ...

Smooth border all the way around with pleated a center.
    Had something like this in my old 32.
    Looked real nice

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

5. Blake 27

Blake 27

6. 2015 5 window 090.jpg Here's 1 for ya, it in a coupe but do the same thing in my roadsters, it's a caravan seat also 2015 5 window 090.jpg

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thumb thru your magazines. When I did my 32 I took the trim guy several books with pictures of what I liked .

8. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Thanks to you all for the response. Any more?

9. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Just did this in my 28 Roadster.

I had this done at a upholstery shop and they felt this design would hold up very well (for what its worth.) They did not like just a flat material all the way across either top or bottom - it needs some kind of pleat.

One point of pickiness - make sure your pleats from the top and bottom line up exactly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    dana barlow likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Wyld, nice job. You nailed it.

Gary

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Blake...Perfect seat bolsters, design is classic. This '27 Roadster Pickup is over the top.

12. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

13. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Another Dodge Caravan middle seat. I added removable arm rest where the seat belts used to come thru.
    IMG_0754.JPG

deuceman32 likes this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inspired by the Packard LeBaron Speedster:
    010.jpg
    Clean original Packard Roadster design, but a split seat:
    021.jpg
    I'm partial to bigger pleats. Seems to lend a sense of room and maybe durability as well.
    A genuine Packard LeBaron Cpe, originally owned by actress Joan Blondell:
    Packard_Twelve_Model_1106__1934__detail_8_577_450.jpg
    Sometimes smooth panels accented by bolsters just works. I know the above is a little busy with arm rests and such, but just the panel/bolster gig, not too hateful. As truly "deco" as can be, take note of the rear courtesy lights above the hardwood window moldings. Bitchin, huh? Enjoy...

Tman and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be "stitching it up" on the roadster this year so I have been collecting some ideas as well. Here are a few that caught my eye on the HAMB
    Not sure about 2 tone leather seats but this is really cool "Reece's" effect (peanut butter surrounded by chocolate). Nice photo TWIG!
    upload_2017-3-30_13-14-23.png

This is very modern and not my style but you can learn from anything if keep an open mind (rare on here at times).
    For example, I kept this picture for the cool matching webbing on the aircraft belts, the simplicity of a design with no pleats and the use of the two tone color scheme again which I am debating.
    upload_2017-3-30_13-26-21.png
    This pic below has been saved on my computer for years, sort of a "go to" for ideas on all things "hot rod interior" speaking. I am torn on the "surround" look above in TWIG's pic with pleats in the middle and this look of straight across the bottom and top of the seat and pleats in-between. Maybe the answer is that it depends on how wide the seat is so it doesn't look too busy.
    upload_2017-3-30_13-21-48.png
    I have more on my home computer, ill try to post them tonight. Don't even get me started on map pockets! HRP, buddy start a thread, "Show me your map pockets!"

16. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

That seat bottom looks about what I want. Looking for a little wrap around on the top of the seat back with a roll at the top. Goin to find a distressed look in he material ,like a old leather jacket.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have a Tandy Leather in your area, check them out. We have one in Portland by PDX, it is fantastic and has a lot of distressed pelts to look through.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

putz and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just saved that picture too, thank you sir. I love that stich work up the side. Robert is getting a lot of fine input.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Disclaimer
    I may be full of S#!π on my upholstery terminology.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  21. HAHA French stitching is when a seam is top stitched on either side of the seam like the vertical seams on the door panel in the picture Bandit posted of the "peanut butter cup interior". I have seen that type of stitching on the side of the seat referred to as ball glove before.

22. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Second row mini van seat, for my 29 roadster seat .jpg

23. Blake 27

Blake 27

Your seat is absolutely gorgeous!
    It looks super comfortable. Great color too.

3Deuce40 likes this.