Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Not sure when he bought it or from who. It was in Davenport`s KKOA show as well. I`ll post pic`s later. A person from LoneTree Iowa had it in the Classifieds in KKOA. I`m bettnig Gary had it after the 88 show. Had different wheels on it. I`ll also post the pic`s from the classified section as well. We seem to get off the subject and go a totally different direction. But it`s just me rammbilin on again. Nice pic`s of the car Dave and without holes in the corners.

2. No one is complaining about you "rambling" or straying off subject. PLEASE don't stop!

It is ALL kustom history so you are still on topic. Especially since a lot of the history of these cars/owners is overlapping.

3. It's Karl Jonasson seen in this story from a Swedish Motor Magazine. He has worked with Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose, has been involved in most of their finest cars but is now retired.

4. Amen!!

54delray, Sancho, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I found some more pic`s while searching for the classified add. Here is the Olds that appeared on the cover of KKOA mag in late 92. Possibly the latest pic of the car posted. Here`s he 64 Chevy at a KKOA show in Davenport in 89 with different wheels. I`m guessing still owned by someone in Kansas. It`s sitting next to Hub Harness`s 60 Buick. And the add that appeared in KKOA in 92 when Gary owned it. Scan0243.jpg Scan0245.jpg Scan0244.jpg

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I also forgot that Gary also owned this Chevy before he acquired his Merc. The first pic was taken at a KKOA show called Last Pass held in Des Moines. The last pic was taken at our show in Red Oak. I recognized a 54 Ford in the background and the Nomad. Scan0246.jpg Scan0247.jpg

7. What Ever Happened To..........? number 53.

1950 Merc
    Owner: Joel Sheipe
    Elmont, New York

For this week's W.E.H.T., I wanted to feature a Mercury that I've been searching for information on for a good while. It has turned out that I've really had to dig deep as this car has proven to be fairly obscure.
    Joel Sheipe built this car in the true Sam Barris fashion. Perfect chop--not too little taken out, not too much. He also chose to go with the clean, smooth look and didn't install dummy spots or lake pipes. Very unusual for the time.
    Back in the mid-80s when Joel's car started making the rounds at the car shows, there were a lot of yellow Mercurys. To make his stand out from the rest, he chose to paint his car lime green with a gold pearl top coat. This gave the car a yellowish/green color that actually looked nicer than it sounds.
    As far as my research went, the information trail on this sled was fairly hard to trace. I seem to remember seeing it in a magazine somewhere, but my long search turned up nothing. I'm sure a clean, chopped Merc like this with a crazy pearl paint job and New York license plates that read "LEADSLED" would have been featured at one point, but I couldn't find anything.
    Video research didn't turn up much either. Joel attended the Leadsled Spectacular in Springfield, Ohio in 1985. He was interviewed and gave a lot of information about his car, including mentioning that he hit some bad weather on his way to the show that caused some highway flooding. He said it was no big deal as "Bathtub Mercs float!" Another thing he mentioned that I thought was different for most Mercury customs is that the car had a four speed.
    I was also able to find his car on a 1991 Sled Scene East video I found on Youtube. The video was shot in black and white and I might have missed the car altogether, except for the New York "LEADSLED" plates.
    Aside from these few sightings, this Mercury is pretty much a mystery. I'm sure that you east coasters can add something to this as I would think this car attended a lot of shows in the east like Lead East.
    Hopefully Joel is still cruising around the Long Island area and many other areas of New York just having a ball!
    'Til next Tuesday, take care! E

Joel Shife 50 Merc a.jpg

Joel Shife 50 Merc b SPC.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Joel and I traveled a LOT together back in the 80's, and attended many custom car shows, Gettysburg, Spectaculars, a few James Dean runs, Fiesta of the 50's. I'm not sure who built it, but Joel also had a chpeed lavender 57 Olds for a while, and a chopped, hydrauliced Candy maroon 58 Chevy, as well. He also had Joe Manieri build him a gorgeous 52 Olds, peach colored, that has been seen ALL over, with a new owner (Scott something).
    With us in our travels, quite often were the "Angel Eyes" Merc, Pete Coleman (Green Onions shoebox Ford) and Harvey Bagshaw, who built several kick ass customs.
    During our travels, Joel and I also hooked up with Brock and Elaine Brockman, Bob, Beverly, Bill Heenean, IndianaCarHop.jpg and once in the Midwest, traveled with them to many shows. Joel met a nice woman who lived near the Brockmans, and eventually married and moved to Hagerstown, Indiana, home of Brockman Mellowtones. He wound up giving the Merc to his son-in-law, who has it now. He still may have a custom, but doesn't go to car shows like he used to.

9. Glad @chopolds could answer that, I haven't been able to come up with anything.

That is a clean custom. Simple, subtle, beautiful.....

10. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

ChopOlds, Thanks for the update on this W.E.H.T. Merc. Hope the son-in-law gives it it's appropriate cruising time.

Great pic. Reminds me of the old Dog & Sud's drive in my older sisters worked at in the 70's although, I am a little partial to the name of the drive inn in your pic. Any chance you have a picture of the "Green Onions" Ford? I recall it in a magazine back in the 80s/90s and loved the name on the deck lid. I planned my 51 Merc build around the Green Onions theme, but never finished it, and sold it in 2005.

Bill

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have pic`s of a few of the cars that @chopolds mentioned above. I`ll post later today. @54delray, you know who used to own the chopped 58 Chevy don`t you.

Sancho, 54delray and OG lil E like this.
  12. Thanks for the great fill-in information @chopolds! Sounds like you had a tight knit group that had some fun times on runs. It's always a bummer when a group grows apart for whatever reason.
    You mentioned a few cars that are on my research list for this thread. Thanks for the information.
    Last of all, great picture. Nothing like some customs sitting around a neat old drive-in like "Bill's Fabulous 50's" in your picture. Do you know if the place is still in operation? Where was it? E

13. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

No, but I bet you have that rolling around in that Kustom steel-trap mind of yours.:D

Bill

Sancho, stanlow69 and OG lil E like this.
  14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Since Ed mentioned some of the cars Chopolds listed are in future W.E.H.T. features. I`ll wait on posting them. Here are a couple scans of Joel`s Merc from the Springfield Illinois show. The better pic is the one my dad took. I really like this car. I was gonna add it to my favorite 49-51 Mercs thread that Micky started. It was rare to see a custom in the 80`s without dummy spots and no lake pipes. . Scan0250.jpg Scan0251.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is another pic that appeared on the rear cover of Mike Key`s Wild Leadsleds book. I wonder if Dan Olson(Omaha Nebraska area) was inspired by this pic when he built his Merc. His dad, Harry went to a few of the KKOA shows back then. Scan0252.jpg Scan0253.jpg

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

OG lil E, that drive in was somewhere in Indiana, I think, near Indianapolis. We hit it in between Larry Kramer's "Hot Lead and Other Bad Metal" show, in Ohio, and the Leadsled, maybe Springfield Ill.?
    Joel (last name spelled Sheipe) drove the wheels off that car. Remember, we were all on the very East coast, so going to the Leadsled every year meant a minimum drive of 600 miles, one way, and almost 2000 in some cases. Then another trip to the James Dean, or some other show, and you really put on the miles. We all had CB's in the car, so we could communicate with each other. One time we were driving through what seemed to be a hurricane, the lead car had to warn the rest about tree branches, and debris in the road. We really drove'em back then!
    Joel's 51 Olds 98....IIRC joel+1951_oldsmobile.jpg

17. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

joel shife's merc is now owned by his son in law. it's currently under going an upgrade- restoration in a pennsylvania body shop. the drive train got tired and the whole car was ready to be freshened up. i'll get some pictures.

18. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

I saw both Glen's '53 Mercury and Joel's '50 Mercury next to each other in Springfield, Illinois at the Leadsled's. It must have taken some courage to choose a color that was so different than everyone was using. It really made the car memorable.
    Hamb.jpg

Also saw Doc's Olds at the Lowriders show in Sterling, Illinois the same summer.

Hamb1.jpg

19. Thanks for the reply @chopolds. Neat drive-in. There are so few left anymore. Sounds like you guys really loved to travel and I know you loved customs to travel so far to the big shows.
    Now that you posted Joel's Olds I've seen it in books and magazines. Another piece of the puzzle falls into place.
    Glad to hear the Merc is still around and under restoration. I wonder if the current owner will stick with the unusual color or try something new.
    @BrewtownPrez, the picture you posted of Glenn's Merc sitting with Joel's Merc looks like it was at the '87 Spectacular judging by the background. I'm guessing that means the Sterling/Rock Falls Lowrider Show was in late July or early August. I have a video of that show only it was the next year ('88). There are some nice lowriders on it, and more great customs than you would think since it was a lowrider show. It is one of my favorite videos. Looks like it was a well organized, fun show to attend! E

20. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Anyone know this mercury it was at the Ohio kkoa in 2002
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I didn`t go to as many KKOA shows during that time But I did make that one. It was a well built car. Looks like it is sitting in the same spot. Scan0254.jpg Scan0255.jpg Notice the chrome pan under the grille. I listened to him tell what it was off of, but can`t remember. Some different modifications were tried on this car like the contour of the skirts and the rear bumper.

22. Are those '49 Buick taillights on that Merc? I like that! Shaped sort of like the stock lights but a very cool change. Lincoln door buttons? Rear bumper/exhaust set-up is very nice.

23. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

IMG_9242.JPG Latest picture I found of just peachy

24. OneBad56

OneBad56

stanlow69 likes this.
  25. That one is Dan Olsen's Merc. It's a fairly recent build. Stanlow posted it above just to show how similar it is to Joel's car.

stanlow69, drdave and Moriarity like this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  27. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

The Lowrider show in Sterling was a fun show, one of the guys in the club said it was more like a family get together. They had great food and entertainment. Not the usual 50's rock and roll you hear at car shows but Latino music we never heard before. Customs actually out numbered the lowriders. Very nice customs, Lee Pratt's Chevvy, Ray Botharth's Buick, Jan & Norm Wher with their current ride at the time, The Canadian Kid and Paul Mathes with Alley Oop were all there. It was great while it lasted.

28. Just a quick follow-up to last week's W.E.H.T. In my research for tomorrow's post, I came across Joel's Olds in the 1st KKOA book. There is a great under construction photo of the Olds with a neat little story written by Joel himself.
    I also corrected the spelling of Joel's last name as well as correcting the name of his home town. E

Joel Sheipe 50 Olds.jpg

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I first saw the Olds at the Davenport Merc Duce reunion and here are the pic`s I took at the Lancaster Ohio KKOA show. It was owned by a guy in Ohio, possibly Avon Lake. He traveled with a chopped Merc. It was in black primmer in Davenport with a flame job and was painted by the Lancaster show. My dad always liked the color of the Olds. Was his 2nd choice when he had his Vicky painted after a mishap. It was a tossup until the bodyman changed his mind. The Merc had been in the HAMB classified recently. You can see the Merc Austinrod posted in the background. Scan0256.jpg Scan0257.jpg

30. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

All that talk about our old travelling buddies, and last week I heard that Pete Coleman (Green Onions) passed away. RIP, Pete!