Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '46 Ford Tudor Sedan into a 3 window coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '52 F-3, Aug 18, 2013.

1. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

Followed me home yesterday- 8/17/2013,
    /also it came with most the parts not pictured...

story is: Was at an old body shop for 30'sh years, (got there with minor body fender/grill damage) never got finished and shop owner bought it. my neighbor retired from there and bought about a decade ago and been in his garage ever since. so now it's moving to it's 3rd garage....

I don't have a good plan yet, thinking about putting back together to check panel fitting and see if I can get it running/driving and stopping.

EDIT: 3/8/2017 plan change, my 1st major custom attempt... "1946 Ford 3 window coupe"

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

start plan by posting pics here

3. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

that's the plan....

change #1..... it's a 46 not a 47 (says the "PA state title")

in it's new home, these are the last "before pics"

I decided to install the fenders, grill, trim etc... to make sure I have all the parts and check fitting o' stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

Cool. Got some dealer-installed accessories, like radio and heater. My first road car was a 47 convertible, super deluxe. Bought it for 60 bucks near home, north of Scranton. Going to VN, sold it for 85. what a wheeler dealer I was!

5. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

the pinstripe on the wheel looks pretty old, could it be factory?

[​IMG]

6. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great project, she looks pretty solid!

7. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Your interior looks exactly like my 47 Super Deluxe. Another giveaway is the crank out vent. My doors may have been replaced at some time.
    If your running lights are under the headlights, it's a 47. Titles get altered all the time, makes no difference, these cars are virtually the same 46-47-48.
    You have a good start. Have fun.

8. BTW, nothing you can't get from Mac's or Bob Drake. It's all there.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Nice project, keep us updated.

10. Based on the interior pics, it is definitely a 46 super deluxe. It has the correct blue/gray metal finish on the garnish moldings as well as the dash and the silvery plastic dash trim as well as the 46 only black and red gauges, horn ring emblem and steering wheel color. The steering is super deluxe as it has the trim on the spokes. The pinstriping on the wheels is factory. It's one of those cool little details of old cars. Good luck with your build. Remember the build is as much fun as the end result. If you have any other questions on your car, please feel free to PM me directly.
    Matt

11. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

thanks for info on parts suppliers,

I do have crank handles for the vent windows, also there are holes that look factory in the panel that fits behind bumper, appear for additional light. thanks for info, i'll do alittle more research.... haven't verified VIN yet.

looks like the oil/filter is overdue 53 YEARS.... i'm gonna have to leave this on as long as I can.
    [​IMG]

update picture, doing more cleaning and finding most the parts, fitment is pretty good.

[​IMG]

12. Normbc9

Normbc9

Great work! Nice body choice too. I love the Ford-Merc '41-'48 two door sedans. The finished product really has nice lines to them.
    Normbc9

13. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

splitting time with other projects,

did get the radiator re-cored, and made a drawing of the door panels to start sketching some ideas (thought I'd share, easy way to draw lots of different ideas)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Model T1

Model T1

Good luck. It's getting rare to find cars in that nice of original condition. Have fun with it.

15. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

the interior is a complete loss, and I like to do upholstery......

so I'm going to stretch my skills and proceed very close to the deep end on this one.

I plan to use most of these, (leftovers from other interiors/chairs etc.... including maroon leather pieces, a lot of the tan and some sparkle gold.
    I like the idea of tan/maroon/gold interior with the car exterior being painted "Cream".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Looks like a nice solid car to start with. HRP

17. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

not a lot done, but pushed out of garage and got engine started/running without a radiator....
    (I removed thermostat and ran a garden hose into water pump, wanted to flush engine alittle before hooking up newly redone radiator)

link to a running video on youtube; http://youtu.be/4xdlo4fUAs4

bumper aren't straight or tighten, missing one parking light (but thanks to interweb I found a used one for a fair price.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  18. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Your car could be a 1947. In 1947 the first half of the year was the same as 1946 and the second half of the year was the same as 1948. The main difference is the parking lights shape and location and the trim on the body was different. You have a nice looking car.

19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Super cool. I always loved the lines of these cars. Glad you are gonna get it back on the road. Good luck and thanks for sharing. Nice color tones for the interior by the way.

20. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Yeah, looks like you've got a solid car to start with.

21. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

made alittle progress, installed radiator and new battery.... and have drove up and down the alley a few times (it' gonna be difficult to modify anything on this, it so original I just can bring myself do anything that's not original)

working of polarity (currently battery is negative ground) been getting HAMB'ers help here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835764

22. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

reversed battery cables, it's now positive ground.

started and took for a drive..... going to car wash and try an knock some cob webs and crust off the under side.

still lots to fix, but it's rolling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The trim around the windows gives it right away, it's a '46! My favorite year of the batch by the way BECAUSE of the trim around the windows!

24. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

I'd say '46 'cause of the exterior side tim and the instrument faces. Hell, don't make no difference, looks good.

25. Sweet little Ford!

26. Looking good....Great cars...I have a 46 coupe, had a sedan in the past that was an old hotorod. a couple of pics attached. Looking forward to that interior work. Good Luck. Murph

Attached Files:

27. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

A fellow car club member gave considerable thought to building a 3 window 46-48 but never got beyond the planning stage. He intended to start with a short door coupe that had the long trunk and then put the longer tudor doors on it and then fill in the gaps. Don't know if this helps but thought I'd share it. My pal is long passed but he did have considerable enthusiasm for the prospect of such a car. He even marked up with chalk and yellow pencil an old short door coupe body he had that was really poor... his "sketch pad" if you will.

29. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I'm currently on the hunt for such a car in donor shape, I found an affordable one but snow storm and distance has prevented looking at. I also want a set of coupe doors to use,

I've found the side window shape is super important to get a nice look, with a "weird" window it really makes the entire car look odd.
    Searching the interweb I've found a few that have been done, I really want the top to be "short/small" not like a 5 window with rear sides closed in....

Hamtown Al likes this.