Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Engine hoist modifications

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by azlo, Mar 17, 2017.

1. azlo

azlo
    from dallas

Im interested to know if you guys have any more modifications. I modified my hoist because i hate the bending over and the constant removing of the bar from the jack to the release valve. I didnt find much on the search.

2. I have a modification I am looking at, which is taking a pie cut out of the fold-down legs, so that they are not spread out as far. This lets you go further in when you are coming from the front, over the grille. In the stock configuration, the top of the extensions usually get caught under the lower control arms, and you have little (or none) sideways movement available.
    The control valve mod is a good one, the removal/insertion of the handle is a PITA.
    I also have made another extension to the lifting arm, which is a longer piece of 50X50mm(which fits down where the black one normaly goes). Of course the weight it can handle is a lot less, but can be handy if you have to replace a too-heavy for one bloke job (like a Buick straight 8 head into a car.)

3. I wouldn't want the legs any closer in. Much prefer to just have the car up higher. They need that spread for stability. Especially for sudden movements, like rolling a big engine around and having one wheel suddenly get stuck.

zzford, Hnstray, BigChief and 2 others like this.
  4. I put a knob on the cylinder valve,,,and replaced the wiggeley front casters with wheels from a pallet jack.
    I have also used a smaller tube to get more reach.

alanp561 and Atwater Mike like this.

5. frame off.jpg I have a wooden frame I made that fits on the end of mine that has made it a drywall jack for ceilings and has been put through the windows of a truck cab to lift it from the frame.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    alanp561, fauj, indyjps and 1 other person like this.
  6. SASROD

SASROD

It is a pain opening and closing the valve, especially when your working alone, but make sure you don't accidently flip that lever while your shoving the hoist under the car, could get ugly.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That valve lever is genius.

bobss396 and Bandit Billy like this.
  8. I added the HF air assist ram to mine, when the ram that came with it was leaking like a sieve. Works great and you still have the pump handle for small adjustments.

9. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I have a bar across at the top for the legs to rest against, doubles as a great way to steer when in use. The best " adjustment " I've done is the lowrider mod to the legs. IMG_6675.JPG IMG_6676.JPG

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having just dropped a 5.0 Ford motor from a good height because the hoist tipped over I wouldn't want the legs any closer together either! They aren't all that stable to start with and certainly not with an engine high enough to get it out of a car. Mine ran off the concrete on one side and one of the wheels sunk in the dirt and over it went! Nothing I could do. Motor landed on the oil mount boss cracked it and ruined the block.

Fatbrosracing those lowrider legs are awesome! I might have to steal that idea!

zzford likes this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

All I have done is put one or two junk big block head on the jack end for ballast.

48fordnut likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been wanting to put a crossbar/handle on mine to catch the legs and aid in moving it around every time I use it or move it. I'd agree on not wanting the legs closer. they get wobbly enough.
    I'm another guy who uses his engine hoist in place of straining the back I have even pulled a broken fence post out of the ground with mine.

48fordnut and 49ratfink like this.
  13. Yep, I'm stealing that idea too.... Brilliant!

kbgreen likes this.
  14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

X 2 on the crossbar / handle for moving it around. put one on mine, I don't know why they do not come with one. the lowrider legs are a great idea.

63galaxie406, seb fontana and fauj like this.
  15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wonder how many guys are gonna cut up their engine hoists this weekend...I know I am!!

Morrisman likes this.
  16. I'd flip that lever the other way, so pulling the lever into the open releases it.
    But that's pretty good set up.

The low rider legs is great.

Hnstray, wraymen and bustadrodz like this.
  17. My old hoist had straight wheels up front, non caster style.
    It was way better. Way way better the the swivelly kill you things

This would also work with the low rider legs.
    image.jpeg

18. I got sick of fighting with those, and built one of these. It breaks down for storage.
    32 Hemi Instalation 025.jpg

BigChief, alanp561, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  19. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fat Bros...
    I Like the Low Rider Mod...(Did you weld the extensions to the base legs?..don't see any holes.)
    &...the Top Bar (Mo bettah than bungee cords!)..
    May have to steal those ideas...

seb fontana likes this.
  20. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

I LIKE IT. Now I know what my next project will be.

seb fontana likes this.
  21. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

My wheels look similar to this, but I re-drilled the spindle holes an inch and a half higher, so the arms were a lot lower to the floor, so it would fit under the car better. Lowrider. :cool:

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have never thought about anything but using mine as is. Some cool ideas you guys have came up with here..

23. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I welded a pipe on the upright on mine ,used it for an engine stand then . I did it to save shop space , used it once , sold it then,

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Mine came with a cross handle on the upright, makes it easy to move around. I have added a piece of 4"x4" box tubing on mine right now for a boom extension, the Lincoln engine bay is so long I can't sit my engine back where it needs to go with the factory boom. I sit the engine in the car with the factory boom and let it rest on the cross member, then I put the square tubing extension on and pick up the engine and sit it back the rest of the way. Can't get very high with it because the extension is out past the legs, just high enough to clear the mounts.

25. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Mine came with the upper crossbar. It helps a lot for steering the thing around.
    My next chore with mine is to partially disassemble it. I want to unbolt the boom assy from the base and hang the whole mess on the wall. It would sure safe some precious floor space.

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Any more mods you guys are doing?

27. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I cut and welded the original legs, any shortening was offset by the front wheel mounts. Feel free to use the ideas, that's what this is all about isn't it? IMG_2785.jpg

28. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I've still got one of these I built thirty years ago. Used 2 x 6 tube for the top, made it easier to build a trolley for a chainfall. My kids thought for years that it was their swingset!

RICH B likes this.
  29. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have not done it yet but plan to mount a small worm gear winch to the boom to allow lowering an engine even more than lowering the boom will allow before hitting the fenders, front sheet metal.

30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have made my garage door taller

IMG_20170326_123231433.jpg