Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stuff You were happy to sell for a loss..............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Feb 26, 2017.

1. I did find a Muntz Jet bumper/grille mixed in with a bunch of parts I bought at a estate sale and was told I could make a good profit on it,I carried it to swap meets for a couple of years and sold it for 50 bucks to a friend wanting to cut it up and make a custom front for his shoe box.

Needless to say had I kept it, it might be worth a few more bucks today, :DHRP

2. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

This was my year long nightmare! We had nothing but problems with it. Constant overheating problems, wouldn't run right and the final straw was when the gas tank fell out one day when the wife was driving it. (yup...strap broke and the tank fell out on the road!!!) Sold it to some hipster looking dude in Portland. I hope he had better luck than we did with it! 11953247_10204786775333186_461403209443863037_n.jpg

chiro and Bruce Fischer like this.
  3. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I would have totally loved that car! Those old Mopars are so ugly, that they are too cool!

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

NWRustyJunk likes this.
  4. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

That's very true!!! It was in really good shape too. No rust, nice interior etc. We just had nothing but problems with it. It was time for it to find a new home.

classiccarjack likes this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I took a loss when I divorced my first wife :D And I was happy to do so :D

chiro and 57 Fargo like this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

I know there have been a few cars in my life I was very happy to see leave, rather or not they were sold at a loss would be questionable. I usually buy junk, then pour money and time (mostly a lot of time) into them and drive them for a while, once they are roadworthy. After about 4 or 5 years, I grow tired of them and find a new project, when it gets close to being roadworthy, the old ride goes up for sale. Often I find someone that wants the old ride more then I do, and away they go. I usually get enough money out of them to at least cover the cost of the start on the current project. If that happens, I really don't care if I made money off them or not. There have been a few that I was tired of well before the 4-5 years was up, I was always smiling when those went away. Gene

7. Toqwik

Toqwik

Ever notice how cars are desirable until you try to sell them? I have a non HAMB friendly turd in my driveway that has become a thorn in my ass. Bought it to flip, then hurricane Matthew rips off my roof, push it out of the way. Put new siding on my house, push it out of the way. Garage door collapsed, you get the picture. I hate to know how many miles I have pushed this piece of crap. Wish I owned a field where I could let it rust in peace. Won't do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Mo rust

Mo rust

I find something that I want, pay too much for it, work on it until it's finally worth what I gave for it and then keep it forever because I'm terrible at selling anything.

9. gpohl6

gpohl6

You know, it may be far less of a curse that we all think. After all, those of us who get all enthused and buy things with the intention of doing this or that with it are also the type of guys (and gals) who actually get things, including big things like cars, done! Having the occasional "false start" or "expensive mistake" is simply a small part of the cost of our enthusiasm. But it this determination, this willingness to act and optimism that drives us to get things done, so, all in all, I don't think that the rare "swing and a miss" should cause despair, but rather provide a moment of wisdom and humor. Oh, and yes, I sure that had a number of those deals...but had some sweet ones too! Nothing ventured results in nothing gained. When they cart me off to be cremated, I hope to leave a pile of potential project parts from whatever I may be still working on the day before. Just my view on it...

Lone Star Mopar and clunker like this.
  10. Mo rust

Mo rust

Well Put.

I've also sold a junk 3x2 carb/manifold setup that was worn out and ran horribly when I took it off before I forgot how bad it was and put it on something else because it still looks so cool.

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I abandoned this at a truck stop the same day I bought it. I paid cash and tried to drive it home, which would have been more than 400 miles. We made it about 80 miles, which was hard, hard driving. A long day of sweat, roadside repairs and gear jammin' eventually gave way to defeat. I parked it and jumped in the passenger seat of my chase car. I walked away glad the adventure was over.

[​IMG]

CoolYourJets likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    That military truck brings back bad memories of my old 58 Impala. One night in Long Beach, it was so foggy that we could not see the neighbor across the street. I did not know that he had purchased this giant military truck for some reason. He could not get it in his driveway or back yard, so he parked it in the street, facing the wrong way, on his side of the street.

I had to go to a high school meeting, so I ventured out on this night. I carefully backed up and as we all know, that white backup light shines, but in this thick fog, it was like a bright white something just sitting beyond the rear of the car. The coast looked clear, so I continued to back up. In turning to straighten out, I hit something with the right rear fender. This huge military truck was parked farther out into the narrow neighborhood street and the normal backing up procedure hit a snag. The high bumper of the truck hit the top of the rear smooth curve of the fender and made a gash.

I was $*^@#% to say the least. Nothing happened to this huge truck, except for a small amount of black paint on the tip of the bumper. I was running late, so I left. Luckily, the slow driving in this thick fog prevented anyone from seeing the damage. Of course, the next day was perfectly clear and I drove to Los Angeles to get it fixed by my dad's friend's body shop. They used lead, matched the black paint and at the same time, took off the rear angled antennas.

Jnaki
    The following day at school, someone noticed the antennas were gone and that I was not at school yesterday. My excuse was that I had an appointment to get those taken off and repainted. No one ever knew of the crushed corner of the rear fender... It definitely is nice to have friends in the auto industry.

13. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought a chopped 50 chevy coupe , rough shape..got it home and realized it was worse than rough..it was a bondo bucket, horrible to say the least..one mans garbage is another's treasure.....ha ha ha

14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've been fortunate to not lose money on anything. I've either bought it right to begin with to be able to make some money or I hang onto to it. A couple cars I broke even on money invested but have driven the vehicle a couple years so I got my moneys worth and enjoyment out of it. I won't inpulse buy and projects or cars are something I want to potential use someday. Same with parts, if it is worth something to me when I buy it will be worth something when I sell. Just have to be patient put it on craigslist it will sell. I stay away from 4doors and odd makes just cause its cool or good condition won't sway me to buy.

15. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

What?!? Sell stuff? Are you crazy?

The37Kid and clunker like this.
  16. I'm anal and I overthink things a lot and often when I'm shopping for some do-dad or accessory more than one choice is available to order but not where I can get my hands on them to judge in person. So I often buy 2 choices figuring I could pick a winner and sell the other for only a small loss.

I think we all know how the rest of this story goes...... :oops:

The37Kid likes this.
  17. Baldies

Baldies

Small parts are what I seem to collect. Disk brake conversions etc. Selling stuff is too much of a hassel. I give it away or throw it away. It seems that when building I buy more than I use.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have some hot rod projects going, also some cool '40s and '50s stuff. So I'm always buying parts, like...intakes, carburetors, (pistons/rings lately, I have more than a few engines)
    My question is, 'When do you sell?' :eek:

Actually, have sold some, mostly parts, but fast talkers irk me and sometimes just kill the sale.
    One jerk came to look at a cool '24 Dodge Bros Elliot type front axle, with spindles. Clean, nice. Primered. Priced at $300. Guy says he'll be here with cash.
    Guy gets here, is 'looking' at it with his foot, kicking it around, says: "$300 ain't gonna fly...What's your BEST deal?"
    Now I'm fuming.
    "My BEST deal is to let you keep that foot, so you can use it to GET THE F### OFF MY DRIVEWAY! PRONTO!"
    He left, the 'last word' was "Three hundred...Not worth 50"...

Next guy came over and gave me 3 one hundred dollar bills for the axle, all of them good to the brown marker. Also sold him a '57 Chevy 283 short block for another $200. Another guy just like me! Building more than one...

Bruce Fischer and pat59 like this.