Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FOUND! Frank Maratta's "The Rake" 1930 Model A Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Fantastic find!! Congrats Dean. She needs to see some strip action again.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Dean, congratulations! Are you bringing it to the CARBS reunion?

Cris

Stogy likes this.
  3. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Holy Crap! this is SO KOOL.......Maratta was approched by Dover Drag Strip Owners to be a partner ...He turned them down and opened Conn.Dragway. Have talked to to new owner and he relates prior to the Dragway,frank DID run it at Dover as the 'Missle" in Blue.But darn...In all our 4000 shots -I can't find one of it at Dover...Any Help here? ...Oh. Dean's planning to show it at the 8th Annual Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags at Lebanon Valley,New Lebanon,N.Y. Sept.24-25. My plan is to park it right next to The "Gold Rush" roadster of Don Gallant ...together again .... for more on the Dover Drags See: http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=69&sid=40e335e2a68bfcee780e70a63ef4594e

Stogy likes this.
  4. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Just saw this post........ What an awesome piece of history

Stogy likes this.
  5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Dean,
    From one of the pictures it looks like the quick change might still be in the car. I have never seen an Anderson. If you can get some pictures of it, that would be greatly appreciated.
    If you would like to get it to me, I will go through it at no labor charge. Just pay for the parts & shipping.
    Bruce

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, is that supposed to be a 283 bored to 4.00" with a custom crank? What would have had a 3.50" stroke? Who was grinding stroker cranks back then?

That would have been pretty radical for its time.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Is that a wooden dash in there? In one of those B&W magazine photos it looks like a clear coated wood dash. In one of the photos at the top of the thread it looks like maybe the dash was covered with some kind of material.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you build a matching truck, then you must build the matching trailer to complete the package. I was always impressed with that combo since the first time I saw a pic of it.

Stogy likes this.
  9. GearheadsQUC - quick change rear is long gone, has '57 Chevy rear now. Much was changed when he rebuilt the car as Maratta's Missile in 1960 Rake Outside Shop1.jpg Rake Fallout.jpg which is basically how the car appears today. Here's some up to date photos of it. Still need to finish making the headers and some other odds and ends. Maybe have it ready for the next Maratta Auto Show?? -Dean

10. What a cool car, in all it's forms.

Stogy likes this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pretty sure CT Crankshaft was around then, later to become Hank [Benchloft?] the Crank I think..There was places welding [stick] the cranks up and regrinding..

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Darn! I thought we might have found another Quickchange survivor.
    Welded strokers are not new. I know they were around by 1960 for sure. A 3 1/2" stroke was a pretty standard upgrade. GM 350 was only 3.48" so, they actually built a 352 destroked to 350.:p

Stogy likes this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Next time..

Stogy likes this.
  14. This would be such a fun project, history is incredible, good save!!

Stogy likes this.
  15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool coupe.. Great story...

Stogy likes this.
  16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It does not get much Cooler then that!!
    Frank Maratta's car shows and Connecticut Drag Strip are the stuff of legends.

Jimbo

Stogy likes this.
  17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Scan0001.jpg Buddy Blaine still has his '32 5 window that went 100mph at Sanford in '57... also beat the No-mads Ardun pick up truck...
    Squared off with him at Winterport...spanked me hard... now my Xmas card...

mad mikey, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Got the coupe on the road this past week! It's a handful but a blast to drive. Planning on taking it to the Connecticut Dragway reunion hosted by the CSRA this Monday evening. That's Frank's son Carl Maratta and I standing with the car. Several of Frank's grandchildren also got to see the car in person for the first time. The Rake Carl Maratta Show.jpg Main St. Middletown 2016.jpg

19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Very COOL, congrats! Gary

Stogy likes this.
  20. Yeah...... Saw it last night in Middletown

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Stogy likes this.
  21. That's one cool coupe and you are doing it right

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  22. 392

Totally cool.

Stogy likes this.
  23. catdad49

catdad49

Love both versions, keep us posted!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

What rear is in this, now? If, by chance you can share how it's all set up like the pedal linkage, mounts and such? Can you post some detail shots from under the car?

I know this is a lot to ask but this car (and Maratta) had a reputation. I'd love to see how it was built (as I'm sure other would, too). I've heard some stories about this car from a few old timers I knew, growing up in Connecticut.

Edit: at first the write-ups on the car hadn't showed up until I went back. Still, I'd love to see some detail pics of how he built it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Here it is on Display at The Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags in Sept. In our "Drag Alley Nostalgia Race Car Display Keith Hudak Marattas Coupe.jpg

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Very cool find... I'm partial to the rake on the "Rake" myself - that guy was ahead of the times, eh? Nose high n mighty was not the best way to go, as everyone eventually found out. Gary

Stogy likes this.
  27. Here's some closer pictures of the car. When it was originally built it was a true street/strip/show car, fully finished inside and out yet with a very competitive engine. When he rebuilt the car in the early 60's it was simplified much and used only for racing. As far as I can tell it was built in early 1958, and by 1961 the straight axle, mags, moon tank, and drilled visor had been added. It was painted blue and the fenders narrowed in 1962/63.

Attached Files:

28. That is one bad mother fucker...

What make/size of the slicks please?

29. catdad49

catdad49

Hot Rod Rake!

Stogy likes this.
  30. Slicks are M/T Radir, 9.00-15, 32" tall 9" tread

mad mikey, Stogy, -Brent- and 2 others like this.