Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I went and done did it(well started it anyway)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Feb 19, 2017.

1. upspirate

upspirate

After collecting car and boat magazines for many years , I finally decided to part with the treasures .I had originally saved them for reference for future builds, but online has taken care of that need.
    I was going to sell them at maybe a swap meet, or CL , but after reading some threads on here decided the market just wasn't there or worth it , so......out to the curb for recycling.
    It'll take a few Mondays , a few boxes at a time , but it kinda feels good already.
    Today was my wifes 60th b-day and she was thrilled at this present!!!LOL:rolleyes:

Squablow likes this.
  2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ive got a bunch in the attic I probably need to get rid of but probably wont, Some ive had for around 35 years so Ill probably just keep em til Im done, for someone else to throw away some day.

Someone here Im sure would like to have em if you are just gonna throw em away....Doesnt "Enloe" sell some or am I thinking of someone else?

3. upspirate

upspirate

Most of mine are Street Rodder, Rod action, Rod & Custom.....some from the '70's, most '80's ,'90's , and last couple of years. Shipping is what kills ya

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, sad in some respects..........isn't it!
    It was fun looking forward to the monthly mag in the mail.

5. I take mine to the local veterans home and they tell me the residents appreciate them.

I have also taken several boxes to the tech school automotive shop,they also appreciate the magazines. HRP

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Dilemma, should one toss out the ones with relation ,friends, or neighbors
    on the cover...
    since i'm a Iowa/Sandiego kinda guy...lol
    Cover has both January 1970 Rod-n-Custom

to.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yeah its Enloe that deals in some (great guy) , It might be more of a hassle tying to sell or give them to someone but at least that would maybe keep em in circulation for future generations???

8. donno21

donno21

I give mine to the VA medical center and a local tire store.

9. BJR

BJR

Take some to the local hair cutting establishment. Better then reading People Magazine or other chick rags while waiting your turn.

lbcd likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, a difficult decision to finally make the move to reduce your world of stuff that gave you so much enjoyment, and some extra knowledge. giving items,like magazines, to others that would also enjoy and learn from them would be great.

11. I've agonized over mine EVERY time I moved. R&C, PHR, SRM, HotRod, Rod Action. 30-40 years worth. I need the room, guess they're going to the landfill. Not worth taking to a swap meet.
    SIGH!

12. Bugguts

Bugguts

I finally recycled all mine a couple years ago. Saved every issue from 1979. Would spend my winter nights before the Internet re-reading all of them. After moving them 4 times and storing them in the basement, it was time to let go. Like others said, they didn't have enough value to sell.
    I now take them all to the school I teach Auto Collision Repair at and hand them out as prizes for doing a good job.( of course all do a good job). Hopefully the mags will instill a passion for the hobby.

henryj1951 likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The VA hospital is probably what I will do also.
    I think I'll save some for the doctors office, never find anything to read there except Better Homes and Gardens and the occasional Motor Trend.

henryj1951 likes this.
  14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

When I was a kid I would sometimes get a cool double page pic of a car out of em to put on my bedroom wall but I would always feel a little guilty about ruining the value of the magazine:D

hotrodharry2 and henryj1951 like this.
  15. upspirate

upspirate

I got to reading the thread about getting stuff in order for the "end" as well as we moved my 96 yr old Mom in a few weeks ago and have to go through all her stuff.
    I got to thinking about getting my "stuff" in order also , so the mags are the first to go , then the auto & boat stuff I won't be using. Diecast Ertel collectables (not worth much) Toy outboard motors (pricey)

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

my mom has been in the hospital for a little while. I take 3-4 old magazines each day when I visit, re-read them, then leave them thru-out the hospital.