Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hiwayman NEEDS a Y-Block!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-bangertim, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller
    January 29, 2016 ·
    “The deeds you do may be the only sermon some persons will hear today” - Francis of Assisi

recently, I stopped to help a feller on the 163 SB JNO the 5th St off -- down from Mercy hospital --
    fella looked like onea Clint Eastwood's "salty lookin dude" w jailhouse tattoos, bulgin muscles, shaved head -- had a beat up earliy 90s Tbird w a BO tire & no spare -- been asittin there fer several hours in the heat -- he'd called a friend to bring him a spare -- didn't fit the hub -- he was from outta town -- just IN town to pick up a friend of his outta jail -- I arrived jist as his friend w the no-fit spare got there -- friend was "interestin lookin" as well, they was both bummed -- I gave him my card and took his wheel w the BO back to my "20" and put a decent tire on it that i keep various sizes of fer JIST this purpose [ got bout a hundred or so out behind the barn ] -- took it back to him and put it on the car -- turned to leave -- he grabbed my arm
    w tears in his eyes, he said I'd "blown him away" -- he'd sat there in his car readin the card i'd gave him -- he hadn't really believed i was comin back w a tire for him -- nobody had ever done anything like that for him before!
    maybe made a convert that day
    anyways -

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

One thing I noticed over the years, raised in a more rural area and mindset about a lot of "big city" types. If ya do something decent for them a lot of times they become suspicious.

Maybe it's some kind of "defense mechanism" or somesuch, but it's really strange.

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. :

Struck this many times myself.
    You get used to it.

mctim64 likes this.
  5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

*had* that quite a few times Truck64 -- it's fun to watch the "realization" set in -- I've had GROWN men cry :confused: many times-- always surprizin -- got LOTsa stories :D onea my most memorable incidents - -I was NB 163 JSO the Robinson off ramp, and there was a small car on the RS but I wasn't in position to stop behind him safely so I went off @ Robinson and went around back SB to Park Blvd and came back NB to find the driver hiking w an empty gas can UP the Robinson St off ramp -- pulled up beside him and told him to hop in and I'd help him -- he was hesitant, but Shela moved over for him and he did -- we had to go around aGIN back SB to Park and NB back to where his car was sittin so's I could pull up behind it. I gave him some gas -- and all the while he was hesitant, likely disbelieving, till I said Via Con Dios and turned to leave -- all of a sudden, this hesitant man turned animated and hugged me w thanks!

He was a TSA agent and just couldn't believe someone would do what I had done for him :cool:

many many stories -- these are jist a few -
    http://snowchains.tripod.com/sandiegohighwaymansweblogonlinediary/

Dashcam videos here -- https://www.youtube.com/user/SanDiegoHighwayman

could MAYbe write several books and people *might* buyem - but I prefer to "pass em on" for free -- hopefully encouragin others to BE the change they wish to SEE in the world! The HIGHway is my "church" and HAS been since 1966.

Truck64 likes this.
  6. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Oughta read "Haunted Mesa" by Louis L'Amour to see an example of a REALLY messed up "civilization" ;):eek:o_O:mad: GREAT book BTW :)

Truck64 likes this.
  7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Thomas.That is a good read.Been through it twice.Big fan of his books.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You mean I oughtta read it again. Probably should. He writes some great stuff, always loved the desert southwest, and he's like a painter except with the written word. Red rocks and blue sky, sagebrush.. stay safe highway man

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  9. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

:( 8:30 this mornin, my beautiful copilot and angel dog Shela crossed the rainbow bridge -- We buried her in the garden -- where we kin see her grave outside the "readin room" window ----

I was wishin that I had a sunny knoll to bury her on -- I had the grave dug -- I went to git her to lower her into it -- and LO and beHOLD! the sun, reflecting from the "readin room" window, ILLUMINATED her grave -- warming it FOR her!

I'm struggling to see to write this ------- the ranch is feelin mighty eMpty tonite :confused:

10. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Sorry to hear that. Pets always leave paw prints on our hearts. I know Shela has left many on yours and will always be remembered.

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Losing a pet can be as difficult as losing a friend or a family member I know, and I'm so sorry to hear this. You'll never be able to replace her, but you do need to find another co pilot for your travels. Bet you could find a nice dog at the adoption center that I'm assuming San Diego must have.

12. Doesn't even scratch the surface, but maybe getting that new Y-block tomorrow will help dry an eye....
    Sorry for the loss of your companion.

13. Shela will always be with you, in spirit and in memory.
    They are not our "pets", they are our 4 legged friends, our best family members.
    Our family members should treat us with such kindness and respect, as our 4 legged family members do.
    Shela was good to you, and for you.
    You were good to Shela, and good for Shela.
    A match made in Heaven ..... you have to know she'll be waiting for you to join her, one day down the road.
    You were her caretaker, now GOD will watch over her, until you all meet again.

14. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thank you ALL for yer condolences and good wishes -- know that Shela had a steak dinner last night w a shower bath after w hot towels dryin off [ something she always loved ] after, and bacon & eggs this mornin which she promptly polished off, and treats [ and tears   ] all the way to the vets --

Bruce Fischer and 6-bangertim like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Very sorry for your loss Highwayman.

16. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I FEEL your loss Thomas, I have been there too... :( My thoughts are on FB.

mctim64 and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've said this many times, and I don't remember where/who I originally heard it from; "They say diamonds are a girl's best friend, and the dog is man's best friend". I think WE got the better end of that deal! Sorry about your co-pilot; most of us have been there. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  18. Sorry for your loss Thomas, we are dog lovers here also and know what it is like to loose a family member like that. God Bless you and keep you. You will miss her but are better for knowing her.

19. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I'm sorry to hear about Shela's passing. We've buried half a dozen dogs and cats in our yard the last few years and it never gets any easier. Hang in there....

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bless you, Highwayman...and Ditto on what @Dirtyoldman says.
    Just keep on keepin' on.

Mike

lbcd, kiwijeff, Bruce Fischer and 2 others like this.
  21. “Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.”
    -Agnes Sligh Turnbull

I may have posted this quote before... But just to refresh your memory.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fuck man :/ I'm sorry to hear about your loss

23. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

DANG IT --- Brian -- I *intended* to photo-document yer arrival w my beautiful McTim engine!

I didn't

I've been a littl "not myself" as you may of noticed when I hit the curb w the Merc while we was pushin it across the street so's to clear space to unlimber my hoist to unload the engine :oops:

THANK YOU!

Latigo and Bruce Fischer like this.
  24. No worries, you were driving the Merc just fine. I was jus pushing too fast! HaHa.
    You are truly welcome.

25. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Been havin a difficult time here recently -- tomorrow, it'll be a week since Shela's passing -- I don't think I've cried SO much in my LIFE! :( I keep expectin to see her under the table when we eat & I think I feel her muzzle on my knee or between my legs askin quietly for a bite -- Wife & I been on cryin jags fer days when we come across sumthin of hers unexpectedly -- I've got all her gear now piled on the pool table and tomorrow I'm gonna swing by a coupla shelters to see if they need any of it --

in the meantime, tonite, I stumbled across *this* and it raised my spirits some to remember --

skip to the 15.05 mark to hear me tell somea my best stories :)

https://soundcloud.com/billbradley/...r-favorite-place-and-the-san-diego-highwayman
    i'd forgotten about this -- from back a bit in time -- it's not Beulah in the picture, but the Merc, a pic taken by our local legend Hot Rod Holly, at a San Diego Automotive Museum event a coupla years back -- but, what the hay? "Who ya gonna call?" :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Bruce Fischer and 6-bangertim like this.
  26. sorry for your loss.....haven't cried so much as I did when I lost my Brandi girl....she was just an old stray that showed up after I fixed the fence where the other two strays had gotten in to stay at my shop.....she was just so cute on the other side of the fence - I had to take her in........ Miss Brandi 2009 (1).jpg

27. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  28. Sorry for the loss of your buddy Sheila. :(

29. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Best way to honor your lost buddy is to save another. Good job man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.