Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glass '32 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splitbudaba, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I have responded on a few other threads, guess it's time to start one of my own. I started with a dream, an idea, and went from there. I bought fiberglass 32' 5 window body from the nice people at R&R Fiberglass, they hand laminate the entire body, to get fairly consistent thickness. That allowed me to install a complete UPAC interior structure, wood and steel. They all fit in with little to no modification except for the chop. Bought a perimeter frame and had a ball designing and figuring out what parts would work together, and give me the look I want. I've been working on her for 2 years. I think the build is the best part, driving is great, but the build is the best! Here are the most recent pics. Great day when I pushed her out in the driveway!!!!! IMG_2475.JPG IMG_2476.JPG

2. SWEET! I like the build more than the drive too. I do drive mine, but not that much. I'm always tinkering with it, or something else.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks good - but many here will not accept a glass body/full aftermarket chassis as part of the traditional world

hrm2k, Big mike 1968 and HellsHotRods like this.
  4. Great looking project.
    Keep at it!
    Very interested in your chop. Exactly how did you do that? You got pics? I'm considering a 34 coupe glass body but would like to do a "Bonneville" chop or similar.
    Like to learn what all is involved. Not like a metal car I'm guessing...

5. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I didn't start this thread for any ones acceptance! I thought I might be able to share my ideas. I don't have the extra $20,000 for genie steel or a repop body. Hot rods are about creativity and finding a new way to accomplish the task at hand!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    hd1084, 1biggeorge, Jibs and 84 others like this.
  6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

And to those who feel that way, I don't care what you think.

7. Xman

Xman

Nobody is more traditional than me, and I like what you have done.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Here is my Wescott for support.
    Denny\'s-garage_grey3.jpg

9. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Plastic Fantastic! Love the style.

10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Fiberglass or steel it all looks the same running down the highway.

11. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I see you're from Star, ID. Not far from where I grew up. I would have been pretty pumped to see that thing rumbling around when I was a young kid - steel/glass/whatever - it looks bitchin. You nailed the wheel/tire combo, and I like that the Buick drums are tucked in nice and tight, not pushing the wheels way out like the aftermarket disc/fake Buick drums do. Killer hot rod. Keep posting progress!

chryslerfan55, jrlphx, Xman and 4 others like this.
  12. joee

joee

I DON'T GIVE A HOOT WHAT IS MADE OF.........I LIKE IT

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

looks spiff... note the cardboard radiator protection... i use abandoned plastic political campain signs.
    protects against my being stoopyd...

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You're not alone. My 'glass '34. Built originally in the late '70's/early 80's. It must be nice starting with new parts, a 40 year old glass body is no easier to work with than a neglected steel one. That's traditional, saving junk. ;-) 14992032_10211784729436334_2160630791604988979_n.jpg

15. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Here's what I refer to as an AMT car. Most you old guys probably built some of those models as a young'un. I believe its a Kilborne body.

roadster.jpg

16. figure8

figure8

Like your car. Steel firewall and dash? Do you have photos of how you did the inner wood and bracing.

17. I like your glass 5 window. Best thing is never having to chase rust.

18. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Glass coupe steel in the roof copied the wood door post from an original car. had a carpender make the post. The car was in pieces glassed it together myself far too much work.

Attached Files:

19. The only change I'd make is your seat.
    Keep hot rodding. Lookin good.

20. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep up the good work, it has the look. Mine took me only 8 years.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

NICE ! Great Look ! Enjoy !

Splitbudaba likes this.
  22. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Those seats are for size only. I'm an old aircraft mechanic, homemade bomber seats will be the final choice.

23. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Steel dash, reinforced fiberglass firewall. I'll post some pics of the interior structures.

24. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Here in Idaho we have an abundance of sprinkler blow out signs from last fall. I believe the going price is $25.

chryslerfan55 and Big mike 1968 like this.
  25. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

My favorite AMT was the 32 5 w coupe. In fact I have an un-built kit from the 60s at home. I'm 67 and the dream still exists.

26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

30 model kit 1 007.JPG
    Starting in 1983 I used to buy the model kit that looks somewhat like the car I'm building... [used a 1929 roadster with top kit for building my 1928 coupe.].. lengthened frame, bobbed rear fenders, top chop, rake...etc...
    Used a machinist's "scale" to build it with the same proportions as I wanted with my car... I then sat it within sight on the shelf 10' away to let time tell me if my plan worked...
    Had all the early spare parts and tools in an old blue Avon bag my mom had used... 20 years ago I gave it to a kid at a rod run... at the time a bunch of the guys were giving the old kit remains to the young-uns...
    ... Hambers like pix ... so... '30 Coupester from the past...

27. Jibs

Jibs

Plastic, smastic, who gives a shit, thats a hot rod!!

28. A Boner

A Boner

But many will.....

29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Amen brother. Traditional in regards to styling, modifications, etc. Not traditional are moneyed players but those are welcome too!