Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects After 25 years it's time

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Jan 30, 2017.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

My father and uncle finished this roadster in 1992. it's been on the road most every year since then. my father moved to a smaller house and decided it was time that the car went to me about 10 or 12 years back. it's got a stock rebuilt 8ba in it with an isky 77b cam. since it was built way back when it's had a couple nagging issues that haven't been bad enough to worry about. the 32 radiator has always popped pinholes at the top tank and the factory gas tank has had a slight weep on one side. well.. I've been looking for a deal on a walker radiator because the $890 they want for one makes me want to punch someone. I lucked out on speedways site and found a "damaged" unit that I got shipped to my door for $650 15 minutes of cleaning foam out of fins and making the lower outlets round again and it's perfect. SO thanks to speedway I guess I will be pulling the car down a little it's time to try fixing the rest of the nagging issues.

list of things I need to look at:
    39 trans started popping out of second last summer... minimum she will need a shim or 3 already have van pelts book.
    oil leaks... 8ba with truck pan leaks... everywhere! seems like there is a fair amount of oil coming from the road draft tube. front and rear main... trans drips too. nature of the beast??
    dual 97's need a rebuild... think I have at least one bad powervalve
    the left rear drum (46-48 ford on all 4 wheels) locks up before the rest... adjusted well, pulled it a couple years ago and the wheel cylinder is free... could be the RR wheel cylinder because i couldn't check it that drum was stuck on the axle, need to get the KR wilson tool to pop it off.
    motor needs the valves run, I've got a max-1 cam I can put in it... don't know if that's worth changing?
    coated exhaust is starting to rust. (what's good these days??)
    left hand temp gauge never worked.
    every once in a while I think I smell antifreeze out the exhaust... hoping there isn't a hidden crack somewhere.
    after 25 years the paint is peeling off the block like mint green potato chips....

so.. all in all most of these issues are just little projects... once I get it all apart it will be just a slow process of maintenance. The only big issue is the gas tank. when the car was assembled they used a black vinyl sewn welting for the cowl band instead of the thin stock stuff. it was HORRIBLE to get the tank in and bolted tight (I was 12 at the time and still remember the swearing). I think this is what caused the leak in the tank which looks like it may be coming from the seam on the right side. this tank was cut to make room for the stewart warner panel as well... of course the welds aren't leaking! I've been told that a leak at the seam is impossible to stop and have to agree... I will know more when I get it out. the tank was sealed when the car was built but it started leaking almost right away.... and I tried to seal it again a few years back as well as I could with the tank in the car... no luck of course.
    here's the start on sat. she now sits with most of the interior pulled and most of the engine disconnected. have to pull the rumble seat out and get to the rear body mounts. body needs to be lifted to get the motor out. you can see where the gas has been leaking on the passenger side lower corner of the tank eating the paint and soaking in to the cowl welting. 20170128_171006.jpg 20170129_112202.jpg

Attached Files:

exterminator, slim38, 3340 and 32 others like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

Really neat car, very historically accurate for a 1992 build too (was a rarity then!) and sounds like you're going to do it justice.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

nice, dad and uncle did good...
    for me, kicking out of second in a '48 panel had been a worn / chipped cluster gear...
    IMO....the term "cluster fudge" came from flathead V8 ford trannies...

dwollam and Jet96 like this.
  4. I love the color matched cabinets. And the white walls. Cool car man. Drive it hard

czuch likes this.

5. metalman

metalman

1992, yeah. I built an AV8 that year as well, was kinda of an oddball to be doing that back then, most rodders didn't get it. Guess we were just ahead of the trend!
    Good luck with the redo, I need to do the same, the A I built needs a little TLC maintenance work as well, my right rear brake is locked up right now as well. Stuck in storage, gotta deal with the hassle of non rolling to get it to the shop.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Nice car, except for the green paint. Is a color change from the green in the works, since the engine might be torn down anyways?

I'm thinking about all the nagging things I need to fix on a car I built ten years ago. Hopefully I can get to some of them before summer rolls around.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

enjoy the time as the the current care taker of this great Family built ride - imagine, as with most projects, things that need to be done while it is apart will expand - have fun

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

thanks guys... color combo will stay... I'm not a huge fan of the mint green either but the car was pinstriped with it as well. 1992 was rare to see old school builds but my uncle has always been old school. newest part on the car is the F100 box. it was extremely well received back then as that color matched cabinet was the trophy case for the car... I think my ole man wanted to get rid of the clutter of the trophies as much as keeping the car up when he handed it down to me! it took lots of big trophies in it's day and as a kid I spent HOURS keeping it clean. I've waxed and polished the bottom of this car more than most people wax the tops of theirs lol... I LOVED this thing as a kid, learned to drive on it too. This car will never be significantly changed... my mother did the tuck and roll. my 7 year old already has dibs on it!

fiftiescat, Jet96, clem and 8 others like this.
  9. studebaker46

studebaker46

man what an for lack of better term an Inheritance do your dad and uncle justice and just bring it up to date on the maintence I even like the color combo very sanitary Tom

Cosmo49, clem and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that's the plan... whatever it needs, it gets. colors were similar to mid 50's ford white and green... green has faded quite a bit.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Cool car, just in need of some maintenance, don't change a thing, as you're now the curator of a treasure from the past. Just don't shortcut on what it needs. While it's down this far it might be good to check things out on the engine. So many oil leaks could be a symptom of excess crankcase pressure due to blowby. I would suggest a temp install of the radiator, start it up and run till hot then do either a compression check or a leakdown test. Lots easier to do any work needed now than after you've done all the other stuff and have all the cleanup and painting, etc. done only to find you need to freshen up that flathead.

fiftiescat and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. czuch likes this.
  13. christmas tree

christmas tree

I have been slobering for quite a while however I,m drying up now so I will comment.. Takes me back to the 50,s. Excellent is all I can say.

14. catdad49

catdad49

Sweet little car, bit by bit you will get the things done and it'll probably be good til the boy gets it. I'm pretty sure you have an eager helper and he'll be your incentive to get on down the road. Keep us posted.

15. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

White's my favorite new car color (easy to clean, forgiving of dents & touch-ups)...I usually hate it on a Hot Rod.
    But something just looks "Right for White" on that car. It's really cool, traditional "feel" & unusual.
    I like it.
    It's kinda like the Rebel antagonist of Black on Black.

HunterYJ and 65pacecar like this.
  16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I love the color combo. The green is a nice accent to the white. That car just looks right.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo49 and HunterYJ like this.
  17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Neat A!
    Looks like it's in real good hands.
    KK

18. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice car . Glad it has stayed in the family

19. I know both your father and your uncle. They built the roadster the right way when they built it. Now, it is up to you to keep it the right way. You will be doing the right thing for your 7 year old when it is his turn.

20. 3340

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is a relatively simple car.....therefore, I suggest you blow it apart and reassemble as you correct the issues with it's various major and minor components. Since you are committed to maintaining the essence of the original build, A good thing IMO, it shouldn't be too taxing to rebuild what needs rebuilding and/or replacement. After 25 years of use, it's due. When finished, you'll be good for another 25.

Ray

22. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Thanks nick...I'm assuming you must be Nick N.? I've seen you at the shows and swaps since before I had peach fuzz.. heck I just drooled over your table at the big E a couple weeks ago...

Car is coming apart a bit and getting cleaned up and all the little issues fixed. Going to pass off all the paint to Tim as it should be

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I love it . . . except I hate green . . . when I used to paint custom cars, I would paint your car ANY color except green . . . and that dang mint green on the suspension, makes we want to go to Benihana's and order ice cream . . . just sayin . . . I HATE green! LOL

24. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

His Dad and Uncle finished the roadster in 1992! cut him slack Jack. :)

25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

regardless of your feelings on the color I WILL be picking your brain when I pull the motor down (even if I have to ship you ice cream in dry ice!). is it worth ANYTHING to put a MAX-1 cam in this motor over the 77b that's in it? I've got one on the shelf. if the cam won't make much difference and my compression checks out ok I will probably just run the valves and check for cracks. she doesn't smoke or knock, the valves are a little noisy and I swear I'm catching a whiff of antifreeze in the exhaust which I'm hoping is a head gasket. if the heads look questionable I found a brand new in the box set of edelbrock heads for $200 last summer. things like sealing up all the little oil leaks are going to get top priority. from day one this car has leaked like a sieve and I was always the one who had to make it look like it never leaked a drop! Not that I minded back then as a 12-14 year old who was in love with the car and buying parts for my own car with mowing money. Now I'd like to enjoy driving the car and working to get that 32 I bought as a 14 year old actually on the road!

I'm in the market for flathead assembly books... been literally 25 years since we put this motor together on a picnic table in our basement under a 60 watt light bulb. what is everyones recommendations??

26. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Mike at H&H flatheads just put out a new book. Might want to check it out.

27. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

She's a real beauty Clark!

28. dwollam

dwollam

I have never been a big fan of green but man! I really, really like the white! Makes me want to do one that color. Maybe my '31 Roadster Pickup or my '24 DB Roadster or maybe the '33 Plymouth Coupe. Besides, can't have them all black can I?

Dave

29. Sharp looking car, tastefully done too (except the green)..lol

30. Mikel50

Mikel50

I like everything about this car. Wouldn't change a thing. The history you have with the car is the best part, thank you for sharing its story and future with us on here.
    I hope someday my kids carry on my passion for cars

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app