Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2017 AMBR Contenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 26, 2017.

1. I gotta admit,there are several cars that trip my trigger,I think what it boils down to is I'm just a sucker for black cars.:rolleyes:

Each and every one of these cars will should appeal to Hambers unlike some contenders from the past. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. Pretty sure the third one is blue;).

HEMI32 likes this.
  3. when do they announce the winner? Thank you.

4. Sunday evening.

5. Thank you thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

[​IMG]

I like this one better with the top down. Photo cribbed from Hot Rod's Facebook page.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

now that I've seen all the pics it's a great lot. the packard was my favorite from the read view but I'm not as keen after that last post. guess I'll have to scroll through the pics again :)

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Be sure to watch the video walkarounds too. Gotta be thorough. They're all stunning, differently.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. squigy, TerrytheK and kiwijeff like this.
  10. tevintage

tevintage

There is a good precedent for the Packard's retractable hardtop. See the 1938 Peugeot 402BL Eclipse Decapotable which sold recently at Fantasy Junction.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  11. aircoup

aircoup

wow yep the mulholland roadster

12. 66gmc

66gmc

Great line up this year. The Muroc 28 roadster is my favorite. I really like how the windshield was done.
    The 32 rpu with cycle fenders is also very nice.

I think the Packard is probably most deserving of the AMBR title, I prefer it with the top down but overall the car is a work of art, and I have no doubt the workmanship is top notch.

13. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I'm trying to figure out why there is so much space between the front of the block and the back of the radiator..... why was the engine mounted this way??

Hnstray and shawnsauto1 like this.
  14. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

BACK IN '47 ???? with a small block Chevy ....huh??? What am I seeing here?

Tim and WiredSpider like this.
  15. LTM75110

LTM75110

Looks like a toss up between several cars, Being from Texas, I`m partial to the one from Austin Speed Shop..

32Stoker likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

I actually like every car shown in the lineup. Some more than others, a few things I may have done differently on a few of the cars but overall a really nice selection of good stuff. Don't know if I could have said that in any previous years.

I guess I'll "vote" for the blue RPU just because I like the wheelcovers. But every contender this year has something to love, which is pretty cool.

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You should see it with the top down. But you are correct that n the scale of the roof.

18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The first banger roadster is awesome. I saw some other pics of it on Instagram and was blown away. I dug the mechanical brake parts that are all chromed out. Beautiful details. Thanks for all the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like it with the top down but the apron below the grille shell is too angular/sharp so it is in conflict with the more rounded lines of the rest of the car.

20. deucemac

deucemac

I see enough black or nearly black cars in contention that we could have a sizable hot rod funeral procession. Personally , I like the tub and the red rpu. But, Mumford ' s and Jackie Howerton ' s cars are the only ones I got right in years so I hope that I haven't jinxed those two.

21. Toqwik

Toqwik

I'm torn between the Packard and Aftershock. Massive amount of work in both. I can't imagine the hours spent to build any of these cars. Glad I am not a judge.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. I do think the HHR Bruce Wanta "Mulholland Speedster" Packard is the front runner.

The other 3 roadsters that could take it out
    Dr Dan's "Hill Country Flyer"

Bill Grant's “The Muroc Roadster

James Hetfield "Blackjack"

Dark horse pick
    Matthew Gordon “Time Merchant” RPU

23. Chrome Moly Steel

Chrome Moly Steel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, fl

Thanks for the pictures. Really like the Muroc roadster.

24. Reading comprehension is critical, you obviously missed where the previous owner's/original builders birth year was highlighted in bold lettering, it's a nod and sign of respect to the deceased original builder.

HEMI32 likes this.
  25. Spooky

Spooky

I really dig the Fools Goldster! Reminds me a tad of the AMBR winner from 1960, The Emperor.

26. 2 deuce rpu's on the first page.........

27. Yeah, the blue RPU is my favorite; in terms of a 'traditional AMBR' (i.e. 1950-1965) it's the clear choice. The red one comes in at a close second.

The Packard and '37 Ford would look right at home at Pebble Beach, but look out of place IMO at the GNRS...

biggeorge and deucemac like this.