Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Attn metal fab guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket Man 57, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

There's a whole lot of truth in what Squirrel said, you're not going to learn ANYTHING, until you start trying to do SOMETHING.
    Lots of free stuff on you tube, but if you have a little money to spend, David Gardiner ( Mindover here on the HAMB) has a good video showing how to use a torch and hand tools. Every time I watch it, I noticed things I missed before.Check out his thread on his homemade 32 body. Its good to know what CAN be done, if you just work at it a bit.
    Peter Tomassini is another master craftsman with instructional videos. He shows how to make a complete quarter panel for a Monaro (Australian Chevelle) . Has about 100 hrs in its construction. I had the good fortune to attend one of Peter's American classes last fall, and about the first thing I learned was I'm never going to live long enough to be as good as this guy, he's been at it 40 + years. Amazing what CAN be done. He does cheat though, he uses his english wheel a lot, :)but he's quick to point out, its just a continuous hammer and dolly.
    One other place you can go for info, allmetalshaping forum. Lots of knowledge there also.
    Good Luck to you.

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have a break and a small bench mount roller . Shrinker ,stretcher and a lot of hand made tools. I find that T dollies work really well for stuff like stainless trim repair. My bench vise gets used for so many things other than just a vise. I build a lot of wooden bucks for one off projects.
    Buy old hammers and dollies. They are not Chinese steel. Yard sales,swap meets estate sales.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of scrap metal dealers have them. If you have rails in your area that are active, they are being serviced regularly.

I am not sure where you are.

4. Rocket Man 57

Rocket Man 57

gimpyshotrods, I think you win the internet for the fastest response times ever. I googled it shortly after asking where I could find a section of rail and then returned to delete my question after finding out how easy it was. I'm in Dekalb IL, about an hour or so west of chicago depending on how heavy your foot is. There's plenty of rail lines around here. Thanks.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always happy to help.

6. Hop2it

Hop2it

i would highly recommend David Gardener's dvd he shows how to make panels with hand tools only he uses the name "mindover"on this sight and metalmeet,and allmetalshaping both are fantastic sights with many members that are willing to help answering questions and with tips.
    Doug