Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Packard manual trans help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbytnm, Nov 21, 2016.

1. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Gentlemen,
    I have a 1954 Packard 327ci straight 8 that I'm going to be using for my roadster pick-up project. I have a good running engine but its mated to the Packard Ultramatic auto trans. I'd prefer to go with a manual trans so I've scrounged up a manual trans bell housing and a flywheel. I'm trying to find a transmission without spending a fortune.

From looking at the bell housing to tranny bolt pattern it looks like a fairly standard wide bolt pattern......just not quite wide enough. I'm hoping to find something that bolts to the bell housing without having to fabricate an adapter plate.
    Here is a pic of the back of the bell housing with the measurements of the bolt pattern. Can someone tell me what my options might be?

thanks for the help
    Bobby

Attached Files:

2. man.....that bellhousing and the trans that go on it are 53/54 Packard only....but somewhere someone has the trannie sitting around....they did have overdrive one's if that make's it feel better.....

3. are you sure that's for a standard trans - the bearing retainer hole looks kinda big.....

4. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks for the reply

Yea, its the manual trans bell housing. I just went out in the garage and compared it to the Ultramatic that is still bolted to the engine....they aren't even close to looking alike.
    I have no problem with running a Packard only trans, and or running a 3spd and/or 3spd overdrive. Knowing what tranny will bolt up will sure make my search easier.

Thanks again
    Bobby

5. wryhawk

wryhawk

Hi Bobby,
    I have a 3 speed OD trans from a 1950 model with 288" engine. You may have a six cylinder bell housing. Most of the eight cylinder manual trans had a fifth bolt on the center bottom. I'm a long way from you in Michigan. Sandy at Tucson Packard knows his stuff and has parts. Beware, some Packard people can be hostile to hot rodders.

JT

6. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

JT,

When I've been "googling" for pics and info I've seen the trans you are talking about with a 5th mounting bolt at the bottom. I'm missing the lower (dust shield?) part of the bell housing where the 5th bolt would be.

I imagine shipping from Michigan would probably be more than the price of the trans...lol
    I know what you mean about some of the Packard people being a bit uptight.....life is too short to be that grumpy all the time.

Bobby

7. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

Maybe a T-5? I read an early article about 37-39 Packard transmissions in Chevys and Jimmys with an adapter plate and bolt holes were close but not exact. The adapter also acted as a spacer. So if all that is correct, the s10 t-5 with a camaro case maybe what you need? The s-10 snout is longer and the camaro case has the GM bolt pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 73RR

73RR

The Packard trans has a fairly long input shaft so some swaps may be difficult.
    Back in the old days I had a 55 Pontiac with manual trans and I kept breaking the oem Poncho units so I sent my $19.99 to JC Whitney for a Packard adapter. As I recall the adapter was about an inch thick. Yes, I also broke the Packard.
    The Mopar A833 has a long-ish input.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

10. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks everyone!
    I'd sure like to find one of the late 30's Packard 3 speeds as it would sure fit with the look I'm going for.
    I'll look into the whole T5 thing. I hadn't thought about the length of the input shaft, I guess I have some more measuring to do. I'll bolt my flywheel and bell housing up to my spare engine and see what I have.

Bobby

11. Danny G

Danny G

I have a 42 Studebaker 3 speed overdrive transmission but that was before Stude and Packard were kin

12. varee2000

varee2000
    from So cal

I have a two or three but I'm So.Cal. Greg

13. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Greg,
    Thanks. Shipping might be a killer. What do you need to get for one of them?
    I'm currently working on adapting a T5. I picked up a 1985 S10 T5 and I'm in the process of scrounging up an everyday old Chevy manual trans bell housing. Once I have that in hand I can fabricate the adapter plate between the bell housing and the engine.......I hope

Bobby

14. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Have you looked at the tremec t178 from the fullsize jeep pickup? Its basically a version of the ford toploader with a topshifter. It has a long input shaft and there may be enough material to drill a new bolt pattern. Worth a look i think.

15. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it

16. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

If you check out novak or advance adapters they should have gear ratios and possibly bolt pattern measurements

17. varee2000

varee2000
    from So cal

$100.00 Greg

18. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Hmm, tempting
    Any idea on what it would cost to ship it to zip code 87124? I have no idea what it might weigh.
    Does it have the shift arms?

19. I used to run the old Packard floor shifts in my '50 Olds. When they got hard to find I tried newer (top loader) side shifts with the old floor shift tower. It all fit together but the throw of the shifter pushed the synchro sleeves to far resulting in the balls flying out. I'm sure it could be made to work with a little imagination.

20. Check with Fastenal on shipping. A dry transmission strapped to a pallet might be less than 200 point to point. I have used them many times.

21. varee2000

varee2000
    from So cal

Yes on the top and sift arms. G

22. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

+1 Eric at Novak helped me when I went to the BW overdriven trans in my Willys. When I was looking to adapt a Supra 5 speed to my 1960 Rover 3L, Advance Adapters told me they could do it.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com

23. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

What part of SoCal are you in? I'll poke around and see what I can guesstimate for shipping.

I'll check into the Fastenal thing

24. ems customer service

ems customer service

packard engines were also used in white trucks

25. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Really? That's pretty interesting. You learn something new every day.
    In what years were they used?

26. here is the link to the Fastenal 3rd party shipping request form. Just send it in and they will usually get back to you in 24 hrs. you do not need an acct with them or fax number. They will email all info. Shipping charges can be paid at either end.
    https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/third-party-logistics-(3pl)

27. ems customer service

ems customer service

white motors ( trucks) use packard engines after ww2 , there was move in the early 50's for all independent auto companies to buy parts from each other.

28. varee2000

varee2000
    from So cal

Huntington Beach 90247. G

29. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Interesting info on the Packard engines in the White trucks. I'll have to look into it.

varee2000, I'll request a quote from Fastenal, and maybe Greyhound. Do you have either one near you? would you be willing to strap the trans to a pallet and drop it off?

I'm still moving forward with adapting a T5 trans to my Packard engine but it would be a good idea to have a Packard trans as a back up.
    I'll let you know what I find out about shipping

Thanks
    Bobby

30. varee2000

varee2000
    from So cal

Their both pretty close. G