Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What did ya do back in your day,local car hop hangout?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Nov 30, 2016.

1. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

back in the 60s we hung out at a Steak & Shake called circle Steak because 5 streets all met at this circle round about. Well, back then a new manager took over and he was a real weenie. No loitering, no getting out of your car, leave when your through eating and so on. Well we concocted an American grafitti payback. We got a group of cars to circle around a couple times to get in line and the first car to pull in the parking lot made a big deal of backing in the first spot next to the street. While this is happening the second car was halfway in waiting for the first guy to get parked. This gave me a minute to pour a gallon of white house paint through the rusted out passenger floor boards and allow the line behind us to grow. Well we finally drove through and every one following. By the time we went out the other exit and came back 15 minutes later there was a white strip at least 5 feet wide all the way across the lot. The manager was out there livid mad, veins in his neck i thought would pop. Walks over to my brother who was the first car making a big deal of parking which caused the backup and says you dont have paint on your tires so you had to see something. To which the reply was " didnt see a thing, just eating my burger". Priceless.

2. Clik

Clik

I may have told some of these stories on the Mo site, not sure. I'll change the names to protect the guilty.

Security guards had been hired to keep us off the lot of the burger joint but they caught Hell and got no respect. The burger joint upped their game and hired a security firm that carried guns and had a more hard nosed attitude. One of the frequent car guys looked just like Joe Cocker. He would time walking around the corner such that he would run into the security guard and startle the guy. It got so the guard would look around the corner as he made his never ending circle of boredom. One day Joe Cocker noticed the guard eating his burger and knew the guard would soon be dropping the wrapper in the trash can with the swinging lid. Joe climbed in the can. When the guard went to stick his burger wrapper in Joe went off like a mad dog scarring the crap out of the guard.

3. Clik

Clik

A bunch of goofy chicks used to come around and Link (not his real name but those who were there will know who it is) used to like to gross them out and send them running. One night we hear Link just outside of the main group making a theatrical moment out of choking up a big hock lugi until he had everyone's attention. At the pinnacle of his theatrics he spits the hock lugi in a high arch and when it lands in the parking lot twenty feet away he runs over and licks it off the asphalt. The girls hauled ass gagging.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  4. Clik

Clik

Another time the goofy chicks were there and Link had a handful of napkins left over from his burger bag. Link made a theatrical show of sticking them down the back of his pants and wiping his ass with them. That in itself didn't gross the chicks bad enough to run them off, until he ate the napkins. ;)

5. Cheboygan, MI had 3 drive-ins- most kids cruised what we called the loop- Proffitt's Drive Inn through town to the B & C grocery store and back- might also cruise through the A & W or the Flame- all had car hops but the cute girls worked at Proffitt's- Saturday nights- Proffitt's had the Platter Party- DJ up on roof took requests- over in Harbor Springs, MI they had Club Ponytail which brought in some bigger name bands- also had a few small diners if you wanted to eat somewhere other than in your car- simple times-

6. Clik

Clik

One night some straight laced nerdy looking couple with two kids pulls in the lot and starts grumbling about us "hoodlums". We weren't even on the lot, we were on the lot next door. The husband throws a few verbal insults our way. Well, there were some trees growing in very shallows planters made with curb stops. The roots grew flat because the planter bottom was the parking lot. Joe Venuto (his real name because he'd be proud ;)) was a little bull. Joe yanks one of these big trees out of the planter. The roots made a big flat base and the tree, maybe ten feet tall, would stand on it's own. Imagine the straight couples surprise when they found a ten foot tree growing from the roof of their car. :) ;) ;).

7. Clik

Clik

We used to come up with dares for "chump change". Everyone would pool their spare change and pay you if you completed a small dare. Bruce warring (his real name because he had no shame even when he was alive) was drunk. One of our members picked up a dead mouse off the parking lot by the tail, put it between a hamburger bun and told Bruce "Take this in and tell the girls at the counter that you found this mouse on your burger". I think Bruce was just as surprised as the girls when he lifted the top bun to see, in the well lit counter area, that it wasn't a mouse but an old tampon.

dana barlow, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  8. Damn Clik, no wonder we got hassled at all the local hang outs. We were doomed before we even got there.;)

9. Clik

Clik

Somene we both know had a Duster and the Manager at Peoples was a big guy who had a Chevelle. The Chevelle guy talked a lot of trash about his car but wouldn't race. Things got heated but the Chevelle guy hid in the store. Somebody did a drive by and shot the store up when it was closed.

10. Clik

Clik

One night at McDonald's one of our crew lit a broom on fire. When the Manager started out the door the broom was thrown on the roof to hide the evidence. It caught the rubber/tar roof on fire. I'm not sure the store ever made the connection though. I think they thought it was a grease vent fire.

dana barlow and wraymen like this.
  11. thunderplex

thunderplex

In the 60's the best places were The Varsity Drive-In and the Yellow Jacket Inn, both in Atlanta, Georgia and on North Avenue. They were about a mile apart and Georgia Tech's Grant Field (football stadium) in between. The Varsity had two decks of parking with the top deck called "The Lunching Pad". Great times at both places and they sold beer back then.....!!!!

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A buddy of mine did something similar. Caught a poor old garter snake, and took a bite out of it. Went into Rotten Ronnies and bought a burger, unwrapped it, took a bite, tossed the meat patty, and replaced it with the now deceased snake, carefully lining up the bite out of the snake with the bite out of the bun, and wrapped it neatly back up in the wrapper. Walked back into the restaurant, and handed it to the girl, and said "this isn't what I ordered." We waited patiently while she unwrapped the burger, and then all hell broke loose. We got banned for a while over that one. Buncha hoodlums...:rolleyes:

13. University Blvd? Damn I bet we were within shouting distance at times. The age difference kept our groups separated probably.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. There were a couple of nice cars parked it the lot most days. Was it a 68/69 nothing real special?

15. fleetside66

fleetside66

Back in the early to mid-60's, I WAS a carhop for the Stewarts Root Beer chain. That's right, they weren't all girls on roller skates. The uniform was black pants, white shirt, black shoes, c--t cap with the Stewart's logo & the ever present coin changer. Tip averaged a dime & a quarter if you had an upscale customer. The great thing about that whole scene was that all of the crew were heavily into cars. It was like American Graffiti on steroids, even though it was in Allentown, PA. The old boss was even into cars & he had a very early production '55 T-Bird & later a '65 442 (which was the first car I drove with anti-sway bars). After work, late at night, we'd adjourn to the local (illegal) drag strip to test out our latest speed enhancements. Let's see if I can remember some what we had in 1963. I had a '57 Belair hardtop with the factory 265 & a Hurst 3-speed (converted from automatic). There was a three-speed '56 Corvette with 2-fours, a Shoebox Business Coupe with a Caddy motor (stick, of course), a '49 Pontiac, a (new!) Plymouth Valiant with a 273 (stick, of course), a '53 Chevy with a stove bolt, a '56 Ford with any ever changing engine, rear & trans (because he beat the piss out of it), a '53 Chrsyler with a flat head six, not a hemi (who's owner went on to be a famous local stock car racer named "Crazy Ray") and a '57 Plymouth Golden Fury with 2-fours (obviously). I think the Fury & the car with the light-up Indian were the only automatics in the bunch. Of course, we all went on to graduate to other cars as we got rich on all of those tips. Waiting on all of the young's girls was the best.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  16. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

1959 i bought a cream 50 ford 2dr from a car salseman, bought dual steel packs from honest charley, ran a garden hose up the exhaust to burn them out faster?? i didn't have money to hop it up so when i went to the dairy queen i would take off the w/wiper vacuum hose and it would lope like a hot cam. it was the fastest of the 50 fords,chevys plymoths, the mercurys were faster as big as they were. clyde had a 50 olds stick shift and i challinged him one nite, we went out hwy 76 and were going to run back to the DQ, a deputy must of come up behind clyde and he saw him so he turned off so the car i was running back to the DQ was a deputy,he sayed back just enough that i thought i was out running the 50 olds, i was realy surprised when i pulled in w/morgan sprott on my bumper. RECkLUS DRIVING, one of my 37 tickets i got befor i got married in 62. lost my liscence 3 times. lot of stories,early - later 50's there were no Playboy mags to see neckid girls, only pigmies in Nat Geograpic, movie PORKIES has nothing on us trying to get a look....OH MY gosh a FEEL...

17. Clik

Clik

Yeah, I think the Chevelle was a Blue SS. Might have had headers and a carb but didn't sound cammed up.

18. Clik

Clik

One of our Chillum boys wasn't much when it came to mechanical aptitude. A lot of us owned beaters as they were dirt cheap and this guy bought an Olds beater. A 61 or 62 as I remember it. If you stomped it the column shifter would drop into low. We let him believe that it was Super Passing Gear rather than a broken motor mount.

19. Thought it might of been a friends older brother. He worked there for a while and was kind of dorky but his was a goldish color.

20. Clik

Clik

I'm pretty sure it was dark blue. Owner was pretty heavy with dark slicked back hair. In spite of the occasional Chillum boy getting out of hand we were a plus for the shopping center. We were pretty hard on the thugs that were trying to come into the area. There was some gang banger that named himself after some African general that used to make forays into the area and we'd make it clear that he and his boys were not to be seen in the area. I can't remember what he called himself. You may remember because you lived closer to Riggs Plaza than some of us.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Happy fathers day !
    Fun stories by all,
    THANKS too all those that added,I'm sure some that didn't see this have some too !
    I stared this thread thinking it would be a few LOL,but its way better,kind of a "Time Machine" or as close as we get.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    wicarnut, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Just thinking;Looking for another AG or Grease type movie ideas ,that are real;just read ! Both AG or Grease had sequels that sucked,based on the bad idea of what came after. Vs following any number open ended parts,but even better.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. 6sally6

6sally6

Mid-late 60's........Sam's Drive In ...Swainsboro, Ga. Park under the canopy.....listen to the juke box....flirt with the wimmen. Hanging out with "hi wader slacks" and no socks with penny loafer shoes.Marlboro man :cool:
    Cruise up the highway 1/2 mile to the Dairy Queen (still there)....burn rubber leaving and turn around at the A&W Root Beer. Start over!
    Many times on Friday & Saturday night there would be a line 1/4 mile long JUST TO circle thru Sams and start the cruise back again.
    Burn up a tank gas (100 octane) both nights.
    (SO what!.....how much money was that ??..7 Bucks?)
    6sally6

dana barlow likes this.
  24. 6sally6

6sally6

Anybody ever "do" The Varsity Grill in downtown Atlanta?! First double decker drive in I ever saw.
    Curb hops would ride on the front fender of your car as you look for a parking spot. (IF you had front fenders!) Jump off and take your order. For a quarter they would dance-a-jig for you!!
    6sally6

dana barlow likes this.
  25. 1957 Bel Air Fuelie.jpg I cruised and cruised some more with my F.I. Belair. Used to hit Kelly's, McDonalds and Richard's Drive=In looking for a little acceleration contest challenge. Had a small circle of friends that worked on each others rides to keep them reliable and competative. That circle of friends gets smaller every year now unfortunatly.

26. Clik

Clik

Did they make a Fuely More-door?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Clik

Clik

It was the 4th of July and we're hanging in a parking lot just outside of Washington, DC figuring out what to do that night.

We decided to go down to the National Mall and watch the big fireworks display.

The chosen vehicle was Al's 60's vintage pick up truck.

Three in the cab and myself and another in the back on laydown type lawn lounge chairs.

Getting out of DC after a fireworks display can take hours, but not when Crazy Al takes a bet that he can have us to our hangout at the DC line in ten minutes.

Crazy Al was driving down sidewalks, up one way streets the wrong way and had us airborne when we went over the Monroe Street bridge.

Lounge chairs in a pickup truck put you right about at the height of the rails, there's not much keeping ya in the truck and I was holding on for dear life.

Two DC Detectives witnessed the airborne incident and gave chase. Crazy Al pulled over and was subject to a barrage of "Are ya'll F'n crazy"? "WTF is wrong with you guys"? "Are ya'll drunk or just out of your F'in minds"? But as luck would have it Detectives don't carry ticket books and apparently don't do traffic court. I couldn't believe we got out of their with a warning.

The bet? Yeah we gave Crazy Al a time out credit for the interruption by the detectives and he drank free for the rest of the night... as if he needed anymore.

28. ............I'm guessing that hangout was the Queenstown Mighty Mo?!:D;)

wraymen and dana barlow like this.
  29. ..........Wow! Good question. Looks like F.I flags on the driver's side fender. If that was a factory car it had to have been one very, very rare piece. I have never seen one and had no idea they made them.

dana barlow likes this.
  30. Yes, it was a real one.
    No emblem on the passenger side at the time as I was still reassembling it after new paint.
    It was a good sleeper that I had a lot for fun with.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.