Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Replacing shocks on my 46 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodyankee, Dec 17, 2016.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Looking to replace the lever shocks on my 46 ford, any suggestions on what to use for the front and rear? The rear is gonna have a reversed eye spring and the front is gonna have a 4" dropped axle. Thanks for your input.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

As far as an off the shelf shock or for mounts?

3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Chassis engineering

hotrodyankee likes this.
  4. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Tim, looking for the mounting. Thanks.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think the best option if possible to to find late 47 to 48 stock mounts. They came with tube shocks stock.

The front axle had a stud on it for the lower mount, some people drill and bolt one on other weld a stud on. The rear Bolted to the backing plates.

I'll take some photos for you when I get a chance of stock mounts if no one beats me to it

LOU WELLS and hotrodyankee like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

also, take a look at speedwaymotors.com - on front I used shocks that were designed for rear of mid- 60's Corvette

hotrodyankee likes this.
  7. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Thanks for your help!

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

No problem, was three feet away from them all afternoon but still forgot to get a photo. I'll make sure you get one my tomorrow night. They are just on a shelf

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright I remembered :) these are the rears. I'm holding the part that would bolt to a backing plate IMG_4834.JPG IMG_4835.JPG And some krusty fronts that I think bolt onto the stock holes that the lever shocks do IMG_4836.JPG IMG_4837.JPG IMG_4838.JPG snout faces forward.

So that's a front upper and a rear lower mount :)

10. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Thanks
    Thanks Tim, you are a great help! Did more digging , and those are the mounts that I came up with also. found a set of NOS fronts, and the rears you can buy from a shop right here on the Hamb. Just have to find the correct shocks now. Thanks again.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'd bolt up all your mounts and measure, I know with mine lowered it was some try and see tuning to find one that fit

hotrodyankee likes this.
  12. I have a spare set of front shock mounts if you need them

13. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Thanks Chris, I located a pair of NOS ones, will let you know if deal falls through.