Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Fred, that sucks, hope you are feeling better and able to get the job done. Rehab will get you back up to your usual ornery self, just work as hard at it as you do on your T-bucket.

2. Here's a short video of the T shaking it's tinsel! I gotta find some sleigh bells!

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man....... that was way too short. MORE!

dana barlow likes this.

4. This one's a little longer, cruising out after the show was over. (it's a little shakey, didn;t have a mount in the car, so it's just my cell phone sitting on the dash). Fellow Street Masters cars are on the left, a few Over the Hill Gang cars on the right.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  5. That's cool ^^:cool:. Fred, take care of your back and take it easy for a bit. My hand is now at about 40% and im taking it easy. I can play Drums again and do a bit more on my T so things are good. Looking forward to more pics. Oh...... stunning taste in music.:cool::D JW

dana barlow likes this.
  6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Great music Fred. Just about as Kool as Steve.
    Speaking of Standing on the corner. Me and Brotherinlaw Jerry on Route 66. Another great song to build by.
    Take it easy and don't hurt it again before it is well. Reminds me of me trying to catch an engine before it dropped and almost lost my pinkie and ring finger. They still don't work too good.
    Wish I knew you back then we visited my uncle in Oak Cliff a suburb of Dallas. Or BIG D as he calls it.

DSCN0645.jpg

7. Great photo Gary, I stood there back in August, was very cool. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  8. Thank you, Sir. I do what I can to pay foward the blessings I've been given in this life. It hasn't always been easy, and sometimes I find myself a little envious of what others have accomplished in the same time period, but when I sit down and remember to look at what I have, I've definitely been blessed in this life!

9. D@mn Fred,

You must have screwed it up good! Go easy and let it heal, we don't want you crippled up!

Blownfuel

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

For my steering set up, T Rod, I stole your idea. ;)

Houston's weather is so screwed up. It was mid 70's and cloudy today, but may drop to mid 50's tomorrow. I was able to get on a primer coat and the first color coat. I may or may not apply a second color coat in an hour or so. Being that these are small pieces, I rattled canned them. First coat looks good. I took a couple pics, but they didn't come out. Not enough light, I guess. Hopefully, when I get in from work tomorrow, I'll be able to get some good pics.

All in all, a good productive day.:)

t-rod likes this.
  11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Second color coat applied! Looks good. Might get some sun tomorrow for good pics before assembly.

Dick Stevens and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  13. t-rod

t-rod

I'm glad I spoke up. Be sure to check your clearance at full lock, the tie rod moves up and down as it goes side to side. I had to drop mine a little more after I noticed that.

Sent from my SM-G386T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some massaging (grinding), I got the steering arm to clear the caliper. But I'm concerned at where the clearance will be between the drag link and shock tower. Damn...... this hot rodding is some work.

[​IMG]

Taking a break and will install the tie rod in a bit. Kinda cut myself with the grinder, so now this gal has drawn blood. No turning back.:D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  15. Ouch, gotta be careful with grinders!:rolleyes: Are you having the drag link on to or under the steering arm? JW

tfeverfred likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

For now, it looks like under. But I really won't know until I get the steering box installed. I'd like the drag link to run parallel to the wish bone.

The grinder things was a "nick". But it sure got my attention. A lit cigarette makes a quick bandage.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

If you don't bleed you haven't done it right. "Be careful out there".

Looking good Fred. Disks and all.

Good music. In Dreams. Kandy Kolord Klown. Roy Orbison. Yes I have a one track mind. No pun intended.

Gary

tfeverfred likes this.
  19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And........ done. With 9/16" clearance. Seems close, but I have full movement stop to stop and I'm well within where the scrub line would be.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

t-rod and Blue One like this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gary.... as I went through the grinding of the steering arm and all the other fitment issues with this disc set up, I was thinking, "If I had gone with drums, I'd be done by now.";) Next build, I'll go that route.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your advice and encouragement.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  21. Looks good.:D JW

tfeverfred likes this.
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Beautiful.......

Dick Stevens and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know Fred the old way is easy for me because that is the way I have always done it. It's the only way I think to do it. If I was doing what you are doing all I would think of is just going down to the junk yard and finding an old ford truck and take the brakes off of it. Luckily I live in a rural area where an old truck would probably be sitting in the mud. Well the mud now but in the blazing sun and dust in the summer. And it all depends on the group you belong to. A lot of my friends build pretty much what I build so we help each other with stuff.

I think I kinda pisses of the HAMB moderator when he needed some 15" steel Ford truck rims and I couldn't understand why he bought them new when I would have just gone down to the junk yard and take some off of an old truck.. But that is just the way my old mind works.

Keep up the build Fred I like the look of what you are doing.

Gary

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Fred I luv ya man.

Genius I tells you Genius. Think about it if you were writing a song about dreaming of a lost love what would be the last phrase you would think of to use to start it. "A Kandy Kolored Klown". And that is the shit my demented mind dwells on.

I'm going back now and listen to it a few more times before I go to bed and dream about a lost love.

Gary

whiplash1923T and tfeverfred like this.
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I get where you're coming from, Gary. Me and my friends, who are hard core traditional, always have these discussions. Even when the "old school" way is practical, some of us find ourselves yielding to what's new or improved. Is one way better than the other? Hmmm..... that's very debatable and a mute point. I think what a person has to do, is find the path that pleases them and use good judgement.

I'm not even 1/4 into this car, but in the pages of this thread, from page 1 until now, will guide me on my next build. It's a journey, man. I'm just glad to be on the ride.

26. deucemac

deucemac

I can easily appreciate what you and Gary are saying. It is pretty easy to build almost any style of car today with 1 800 Plastic. I might have been able to do that somewhat on my roadster but there is so much I would have lost doing it that way. My youngest son was with me from chalk marks on the floor to finally firing and driving a finished car. There is something magic in scrounging for parts at swaps or bone yards. I remember well, he and I searching through long stacks of old wheels and tires looking for 15" pickup wheels in the right width. Two as is and 2 for the centers to be put into 15 x 12 rims. Or searching for just the right 9" from an old '60's F100 to slightly narrow. The list goes on and on and so did the fun of the hunt! And finding my engine at a buddy's house a block away. I was determined time find a Ford full syncro 3 speed with overdrive so I could install a Jeep top shifter to retain the old time Ford look in the cockpit. I was surprised to find Ford never built such a set-up. But, AMC did, starting in '75 through '77, Hornets, Gremlins, and Pacers used the Ford box and since Ford didn't make an overdrive for it, AMC bought Laycock de Normanville units like those in Jags, Volvos, and several other European cars. It was tough finding one but worth it when one surfaced 150 miles away in a bone yard. I could go on but you get the picture. The hunt and the joy of building the car with my son after all our scrounging has left both of us with wonderful lifetime memories. Plus the fact that we used our heads, phone, and learned hunting prowess gave a sense of accomplishment that 1 800 Plastic just doesn't do. Yes there were a few times that the plastic helped secure parts and freeing up time to scrounge better. Twelve years and 18,000 miles and we still drive along grinning like assassins. People will stop by and as about this or that and I enjoy my son as he proudly tells them that we scrounge that up and made it work for us. There lots of you out there nod in your heads while reading this.

27. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Fred, these songs are some of my all time favorites. In my opinion, The Ecstasy of Gold, coupled with the graveyard scene, followed by Il Triello, coupled with the showdown scene are some of the most epic moments in cinema history...carried entirely by the music.....

Anyway, back to hot rods...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea....... happy holidays guys. And for you folks traveling.......

HJLrulz likes this.
  29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I say Merry Christmas but Merry whatever you guys and gals celebrate around this season.

How's that for being Politically Correct.

Gary

jalopy45 likes this.