Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupe-Build/Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Dec 13, 2016.

1. I had been looking for one of these for years.
    I love the '39-'40 Fords, but prefer the '39 Deluxe, with their crank out windshields, wide grille, tail lights etc.
    I came across this here on the HAMB, a member from Wisconsin had it. We talked on the phone, pics were sent, deal was made.
    His description was spot on.
    This was/is an old Hot Rod from the early sixties, would be my guess. It has an early 283, 3 deuce's, Muncie 4 speed. Which is exactly what I wanted.
    He owned it for 7 years, he never had it running-prior to that I have no history. IMG_1686.JPG
    I will post pics, as I progress on this car.
    First pic, is at foot of driveway, where transporter dropped it off, second pic, is down at shop, which will be it's new home.

Attached Files:

2. Love those '39s. Keep us posted as it progresses. Fabulous stone work at your house by the way.

i.rant and lothianwilly71 like this.
  3. Prior to its delivery PO said he had all new sheet metal for flooring.
    I anticipated a body off, involved restoration-still keeping it true to its history.
    Some pics, as delivered. IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1696.JPG

Attached Files:

4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

looks like a nice complete car! thats alot of the battle! i just got another 40 from a good friend, thats been sitting in his garage since 1957. glad to see you found a nice one!

40FORDPU and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Thanks, I placed each one of those rocks by hand-must have had more energy then, then I do now.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Kinda hoping you put the '39 headlights back on it like your truck.:D 416590-1349191271-60488ba27ecad01b8de8d978f567e65a.jpg

7. Work begins.
    Yes headlights will be the first to go.
    IMG_1742.JPG

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. First issue, will be to get it running, to assess what I've got myself into. I will wire it initially to get it running, and go from there.

9. Okay, wired to run..started, seem to run surprising well.
    Now, re-install gas tank, brake lines, change oil, etc and take it for a spin.

10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

can i ask a question, i have a new 40 project, will the 39 buckets bolt right in for the headlites? i have had 4 fortys and have always liked the 39 headlites.

11. Running, driving under its own power.
    I have concluded that I will not be doing a body off on this car. I'm enjoying it too much as it is, and don't want the down time (maybe at some later date, but doubtful, as it's fairly solid). IMG_1838.JPG
    The heads are mis-matched (early staggered holes on one head, opposing later model on other head).
    I will install, new wiring harness, heads, cam, lifter, timing components, and clean up the engine bay.

12. IMG_1864.JPG Started the tear down on the engine bay, pretty ugly.
    I will attempt to clean it up a bit, and paint the firewall white.

13. IMG_1866.JPG IMG_1876.JPG Painted firewall, disassemble engine for cam/timing component/headers, install. IMG_1866.JPG

lothiandon1940 and LOU WELLS like this.
  14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You lucky dog . It pays to have the money on hand when an opportunity like that pops up. I was looking hard at that same car but timing financially was off for me . That car is a good one . Enjoy it.

15. IMG_1945.JPG Engine re-assembled with the new 194 heads, performer cam/lifters, timing components, block hugger headers, etc.

16. Now that the engine is somewhat sorted out, it is time to deal with the dashboard/gauges.
    A couple of previous owners ago started the theme, and I continued it.
    All Stewart Warner gauges, fill all the non essential holes (including glove box-deluxe had the clock).
    Paint, and call it good. IMG_1931.JPG

17. Continuing on the interior, sound deadener installed, carpet, seat covered with naugahyde (wife and myself did the seat, and it looks like it-not perfect, but neither is anything else on this car, so works great for me). IMG_2053.JPG

18. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Cool ride. Looking good.

19. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Looking good!!! Congrats on the purchase. Love your eye for details.

20. IMG_1974.JPG IMG_1975.JPG Thanks guys..it's appreciated.
    Now to address that grille. Sand, primer, and paint.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. The Jade Green, from TCP Global, was a close match.
    I also touched up areas of the paint on the body that needed some attention (I'm leaving the old battered paint, by the way).

22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good lookn' coupe , real nice combo of 60's rod pieces. Makes a real nice pair with your neat truck.

23. So, now for what has been bothering me since I bought it-the Cragars, and the stance (I love Cragars, just not on this car..tri-five chevys, impalas-sure).
    I bought some steelies, and new tires, for a tire rake and closer to an appropriate size.
    I also wet sanded/polished entire car, to bring somewhat of a shine to it.
    I created boards, and carpeted trunk (forgot pics).
    Future plans?..maybe.
    I guess they would be to have it professionally upholstered in black roll and pleated, maybe some new chrome work, maybe new paint. But frankly I'm digging it just the way it is. IMG_2067.JPG IMG_2070.JPG

24. Man you work fast. You did all that in one morning!
    Thats a great looking car.
    The 30 Deluxe is my second favorite car too. Glad you replaced the headlights, it looks better. Now if you could just find a banjo steering wheel.......

25. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

26. I also really like the banjo steering wheel, but I thought this original to the build would be better suited.
    I bought the car just over a year ago. I waited to post this until I had a somewhat completed project.

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. What a pair! Nice job on the coupe!

JUNK ROD likes this.
  29. Thank you

30. birdman1

birdman1

used the deluxe buckets on mine, worked fine