Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Converting 30` Model A to AV8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Richard Reed, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Gentlemen; Will 39` Ford clutch and brake pedal assembly fit the model a or can I use the model a clutch and brake pedals with an adapter? I am putting in a flat head 49` with 39` trans. Who is a good source for these parts, new or used? Thanks
    farmerdick

2. You have the famous Tardel - Bishop book? A good place to start I'd say...............
    How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod

3. chiro

chiro

Cling's Aftermarket has the adapter you need to bolt up to the '39 trans and use the stock model A pedals. It works a treat. I have it in my AV8 and it's perfect. Quality product.

https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/

The kit is designed to put a later toploader 3-speed behind the four banger in a model A. You only need to buy a few components of the kit. You will need the clutch and brake pedal mount and the throwout bearing shaft. I think the parts cost me like $150.00. It wasn't much and was a very good thing to buy. I had been scratching my head trying to figure out the pedal situation and stumbled upon this. There's a neat bell crank/master cylinder mount that I fabbed up to convert the "pull" of the Model A brake pedal to "push" the actuating rod for the master cylinder. Also works a treat. I have to admit I got all the info on that mod from another HAMBer. I have great pictures of it all if you want, including a description of the bell crank modification/master cylinder mount. Just let me know.

And...oh yeah on the Tardel/Bishop book. It's a great reference for sure. Mine is dog-eared from sleeping with it for the last 6 years.

Andy

4. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Looks like Farmerdick has a tough climb to catch up on the particulars of A-V8 making. Somewhere between alls-ya-godda-do and yu-odda-ya... Like Sponge Bob says: Good Luck with that. Otherwise there will be plenty of great parts left from that roadster in his avatar. Hope someone in Maine comes to his rescue. Fred A

5. Andy,

Sure wish you would post those pictures as I have a project like that in mind for a future project.

Charlie Stephens

6. chiro

chiro

This is the full description of how to use an F1 pedal assembly and master cylinder bracket as bell crank and master cylinder mount in your Model A using the stock model A pedals. This is from HAMB member Rich Wright. Just be sure that you actually are getting an F! pedal assembly/master cylinder mount and not the big truck (2 Ton and up) pedal assembly/master cylinder mount as the F1 master cylinder will not match up and the big truck master cylinder does NOT work well with the 1950 and up wheel cylinders (ask me how I know).

Andy,
    Finally got time to gather pictures and write a response....sorry gain for the delay.

I found that I only have a couple pictures of the assembly in my sedan so I decided to take apart another brake unit I have to make it a little more clear how I turn the pedals into a bellcrank. Here are the steps to take it apart and reassemble it along with. A link to my photobucket album with the photos of the process.

http://s248.photobucket.com/user/wh...an/F-1 Brake pedal modification?sort=4&page=1

I hope this is explanatory enough. If not ask me more questions and ill try to answer them...

1...Drill out the pin and remove the shaft and pedals.
    2.... Cut off the pedals and dress the "stubs" to suit your taste....just don't cut off the Clevis ends!!!
    3... Reinsert the shaft in the housing with the brake pedal stub in the original position (center) and the clutch pedal stub on the outside of the housing...closest to the centerline of the car with the master cylinder facing the rear.
    4... Position both stubs so that the Clevis ends are opposite each other.
    5.... Drill and pin both pedal stubs to the shaft making sure the Clevis ends are opposite. Do not re-pin the shaft to the housing.

You now have a bell crank assembly..... Both "stubs are secured to the shaft which now rotates inside the housing.

With the unit mounted in the frame with the master cylinder facing the rear of the car and the original F-1 push rod attached between the brake pedal stub and master cylinder, you can attach a rod from the model A brake pedal rearward to the Clevis end that sticks up. With the Clevis ends on both the M/C and the model A brake pedal facing upwards the action on the rod is "pull"...no chance of binding!

I did have to bend my model A pedals somewhat to fit around the engine better, but this is something that'll have to be tailered to your application so I can't really say how much to bend. You should be able to see what I had to do in the pictures.
    The kit to mount the model A pedals to the V8 trans came with a new clutch shaft with an arm the proper length to reach the clutch pedal.

The link between the master cylinder and bell rank is the F-1 piece. The long rod is a piece of model A mechanical brake rod, and the various pins that attach the all the linkage are either F-1 or model A.

Let me know if the link to Photobucket works.....some guys say they have trouble with it..??..

5280A2 likes this.
  7. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

I have the Vern Tardel book. How would I go about buying the individual pieces I need without buying the whole kit? I don`t Clings would sell the pieces, would they? I already had Clings bookmarked on my computer. Chiro, I would definitely like to see your project photos. You can send them to my email [email protected] . I`ve got my friend Walt Dupont who posts on the Ford Barn and will be rebuilding the 59A flathead for me. The difficult part of this project is figuring out parts are interchangeable between Model A and Early V8. Thanks everyone for your input. feel free to jump in at any time down the road with any pictures or ideas. If I can see it I can fix it.
    Richard

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Thank you very much. I think I am in too much of a hurry sometimes to thoroughly check things out.

10. A Boner

A Boner

You have basically 2 choices:
    1. Old 3 speed transmission and 100% traditional.
    2. T-5 and freeway friendly, but SLIGHTLY less traditional.

Basically depends on your intended use, and degree of anal or not.

11. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I need some help - schooling. Question) Is any Model A with a v/8 in it considered an A-V8? I'm building a 30 Tudor sedan with a Chevy V-8 and really never considered it an A-V8 but maybe it technically is? Any Model A knowledge would be appreciated. Gary p.s. save the Chevy bashing for later.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I always thought an AV8 was built with a Flathead.

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

X2

14. Yes to be an AV8 it would have a Ford flathead V8 in it.

15. dwollam

dwollam