Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 50 Chevy 2 door Styleline Delux

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokin Joe, May 22, 2014.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Well, both the car and I survived the winter. We welded up most of the trim holes on the rear fenders and the trunk last week and I have a surprise on the air cleaners for the real mean 216. Pics soon...

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

So, how soon is "soon'' ???
    Haven't seen you two since the tailpipes got installed.

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Get yer butt out to Cruise Nights. When it ain't rainin and blowin or snowin... LOL
    It's a bit mellower with the pipes on it. 20 inch steel packs and 2 inch pipes quiet it down at idle, but I win the noise battle against the typical Dodge 4x4 deisel with those giant pipes that always seem to be next to you at the red lights if I rev it a bit. They still beat me with that throwing soot out the back tho... Mine don't smoke.

4. Hollister Kopp

Hollister Kopp

I love that car. Much better shape than mine: I have 52 more Saturdays before I roll it out.

5. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Here's the front with the rust I need to fix before I pit the grill back in.
    frontrust.jpg

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Look Ma, no trunk holes. Paul welded them up for me. No bondo yet. Lower pics show the fenders and fill that needs to be done. Threw on quick spray of primer to cover the bare metal.
    Trunkholes.jpg
    fenderrear.jpg

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

rearleft.jpg
    Rightside.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Hood Ornament/ Shop Guard. Check out those eyes! Yes, they are different colors. LOL
    Hood.jpg

9. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think I got your car's older sister.....your's is looking good....keep on keepin on!

Attached Files:

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

LOOK! Up on the top shelf! Behind the box of old carbs and the worn out cheater slicks! Could it be?....Could it possibly be?...
    Yes, it is! SCORE!,,, SCORE TWICE! N.O.S. hiding up there since the 50's. Just waiting for the right 50 Chebby to come along.
    Jumped right into my trunk! Won't be hiding much longer :) These tuner kids have no idea what real N.O.S. is LOL
    af1.jpg
    af3.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

A little fab work to make a bracket to connect those holes near the bottom to the bolt that holds the coil to the block and a pair of short pipe extensions to clear the valve cover& connect to those model B carbs and away we go. No more lubricating the engine with bugs!

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    302GMC likes this.
  12. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Final mock up. Almost there. Fun day today.
    20160529_140110.jpg

14. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

16. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

And finally, no more bungie cord holding the hood down. Didn't show the 1/8" by 1/2" stiffening strap on the back side of the center bracket. Parts from a 49 Chev, 50 Chev and early Vette in this grill. Off to Cruise Night.
    finally.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  17. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

18. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

19. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

20. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

As of this afternoon. Weather here in east Idaho telling us summer Cruise Night season is over. Time to continue on the car. 1 piece Olds windshield when this gets back together. Can't prep or paint anymore due to asbestos in lungs so Adrian Beezer is shooting this for me. Seems dark Cobalt blue is the new silver or refrigerator white for 2017 with all the car companies so I did Cobalt Kandy over Orion Silver so it wouldn't be mistaken for a new Toyota Corolla or Chevy pickup. I'm feeling Blue :}
    Parts start going ON the car instead of OFF the car soon...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  21. e z i

e z i

I've been wondering where you have been lately...

22. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Well, right now I'm watching the Cubs smack on the Dodgers, posting the new pics here and wondering who can stitch me up a white interior and headliner for this Chebby. Know anybody around here that isn't booked up for the next 2 years?

23. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Starting to go back together. Pulled the seats to take to the upholsterer and snapped a couple shots.
    nov1a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  24. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

1 piece Olds type windshield is in.
    nov1b.jpg

302GMC likes this.
  25. Well done, nice job Joe! I'm doing a custom grill and the one piece windshield in my Pontiac.

26. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Thanks. BTW. My first car was a 58 Super Chief. Wish I still had it. Good old 370 with Dual Everything! Guy we bought it from said it started out as a factory race car for some Can-Am series that didn't last. It even had pads on the floor and frame for a roll bar that had been cut out of it before I got it. It was a 2 door with all the Super Chief trim. I've never seen another one like it. My old man bought it, then I bought it from him back in 66. Paid 125 for it. Those were the days.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  27. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Nice windshield ! Where did you find one with a shade that didn't go clear to the steering wheel ?

28. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Great Car you have there! I've been enjoying the progress.
    Even more so, now that I just picked up this 80k mile '49 Deluxe.
    Outside will get satin clear coat to preserve the patina, and inside is getting completely redone.
    Came with a '56 235.

s-l1600.jpg

29. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Here is today's pic. Going back together. Should be at the Upholstery shop next week.
    111816a.jpg

30. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I would do the same thing if my trim was as nice as yours. Mine on the rear fenders was pretty bad. Also I always wanted a mild custom. And those Corvette teeth really needed a home besides in my brain.
    Now for a little old school white pleats.

Oh, and for the windshield, it came from The Glass House. Google it. Just tell them what you have and want and they'll fix you up.