Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

It was nitro nice to see you run the S/F C Brian, this car is awesome !!
    001.jpg 002.jpg 002a.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg

els, Dog_Patch, Cara Marie and 12 others like this.
  2. How did it run ?

els likes this.
  3. consistant 1.24 60 foot times. we can start going after the 60 foot times with some four link changes. i will convert it back to street driving tomorrow so we can get the street pics done. we got lucky with the weather today. there are not many days like this left. big drag thanks for the pics.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    els, BigDrag, FinnishFireball and 3 others like this.
  4. Saxxon

Saxxon

What are those front wheels... I've always loved that style. I may want a pair for the 48 Austin PU project

els likes this.
  5. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

American racing spindle Mount ==$$$$$. 1,000 up for a pair

els likes this.
  6. correct on the wheel id. they were made two ways either anglia spindle or early ford. the anglia is smaller. the originals wheels were only made in magnesium. they were never setup for brakes. we have shown that they can be modified to take care of that. the repros are aluminum only and are sfi-rated. they come set up for disc brakes. they are just as much money as originals. the price quoted above would be for a unpolished set. add another 50-75 percent for polishing. keep in mind you will become a slave to those mag wheels polishing every week if you go that route. the chassis shop in michigan carries the stiletto forged chrome molly spindles and wilwood disc brakes to complete the install. add another grand for that. it aint a cheap date but the look can't be matched. they scream race car.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Without a doubt, both these and the rear wheels are some of the coolest wheels to ever grace a race car!

els, volvobrynk and racer-x like this.
  8. rooman

rooman

Correct on the original wheel pricing. The new repros are even more "spendy" at $790 each (or in fact were, as currently neither Summit or Jegs has them listed as available)

Roo

els and loudbang like this.
  9. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Dave-

I have a pair of those (see pic) if you are interested.

IMG_1477844677.999709.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  10. after its all added up the repros might end up cheaper when the polishing and machine work for the brakes are figured in. i personally prefer the look of the magnesium.

11. Saxxon

Saxxon

Thanks guys but I think I'm going to try and keep the Austin build simple and relatively inexpensive.
    I can get the same look and feel with a set of old school torque thrusts. Lets me run front brakes and keeps the cost and maint down.

els likes this.
  12. they can always be added later. it took me a lot of years to finally get mine.

els, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  13. My friend john shepard stopped by today to finish off the shadowing on the chrysler logo. the pic taken in the shop doesnt show how the lettering jumps off the car now. before the shadowing the logo kind of disappeared. the car is converted back to a street car now. its ready for the final photo shoot. pete ores was able to get some great pics both on the track and static shots over the last week. unfortunately i cant post any until after the magazines run their stories. it takes a long time for that to happen. i had 20 gallons of race gas left over so i put it in the car. that sure smells good driving around town. starting the car up after converting over from the nitro smells even better. as the engine runs the nitro that was still in the fuel lines gets sucked into the engine. the nitros distinct smell fills the air. 20161103_195940.jpg

els, mad mikey, Dog_Patch and 9 others like this.
  14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

WOW loocking Better and Better! Gary

els and racer-x like this.
  15. Ahh, how I do enjoy a good old school drag racing story. Must be the fumes in the air . Great story and good luck in your future endeavors

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, racer-x and volvobrynk like this.
  16. 20161107_085426.jpg 20161107_164826.jpg 20161107_165732.jpg The 2016 season has ended. the 2017 season has begun. everything but the short block came out today. it was my schedualed day off with rare temps in the upper 60s. a perfect day to work in the shop. i could have removed the short block but i took the chevelle for lunch and a ride. I couldnt pass it up. mental notes were made for some changes over wintèr. it was a crazy and challenging year. next year will be even better. there will be no letting up until we reach all of our goals. for the next few months maintainance will be done and the interior finished off. since the car became driveable in mid september we were able to hit seven tracks in six states. union grove was run more than once. thats aggresive. we learned alot along the way. proving the ideas could work like the dual fuel system; tortion bar; radiator in the trunk; spindle mount wheels etc was a big relief. for those that have been following this build thanks. it was nice to run into so many hambers along the way that have been watching. there is alot more to come. 2017 will be here before you know it. have a fun and safe off season.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  17. Thank you Brian for keeping us posted on this cool and innovative nitro journey, already waiting for season 2017 updates

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  18. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Brian , that was a hell of a thrash to get your Rod together, (2016)
    Work & more Work !!! when you have a Race car on the street ,,It's the Love &. Dedication
    to Achieve Your Goal, Love last 3 pic's of your Shop , I can relate to it so much the cars go's together come right back apart , go back together , till all the Bug's are worked out ,,, """""""""""""""Street Fuel Coupe """""""""""

19. loudbang

loudbang

Get some rest over the winter you deserve some after this epic thrash. The result was worth the effort though nobody can say they have one like this beauty.

els, mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  20. Thanks Brian for the wild ride along in 2016. Following along and watching the adventure has been great, and I have learned some things along the way. Street Fuel Coupe is the ultimate!:D

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  21. Agreed ! Hard to believe 2016 is over already. It was a bad ass ride :D

22. thanks everyone. its been fun sharing the rebuild. the plan now is to get the short block out then return the car to jim so the interior can be wrapped up. while the car is gone I will do a project each week. disasembling the Bruno and lenco looking for worn parts is one such project. the crank will come out for a close inspection. the rods go back to grp for resizing. the heads will be disassembled and completely gone through. the brakes will get a going over. between these off season jobs I will attend the pri show and several trade shows and swap meets to break things up. I also plan on getting back to doing some competitive combat pistol shooting. during the winter months I shoot on average 500 rounds a week. its a good thing I reload my own or I would go broke. now that I have some extra time I will take some extra hours at work so I can buy a enclosed trailer this spring. im looking for a 28-32 foot. I want to be able to put the car and the drag week trailer inside or the car and the three wheeler.

els, loudbang and Cara Marie like this.
  23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I AM ALSO A SHOOTER AND RELOADER. I HAVE BEEN TOYING WITH THE IDEA OF DOING SOME THREE GUN. I BELIEVE I WILL START OUT WITH A IDPA MATCH AT OUR LOCAL GUN CLUB.

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Brian.Have a safe and productive winter.May all your shots hit the "X"ring.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. enloe idpa is a great organization. i compete in the cdp class with my match grade 1911 sig sauer. sometimes i use my carry sig 227 depending on the match. once a year we have a side match with a shotgun. then i use my 16 inch door greeter mossburg 500 12 gauge. a few times a year we have a bug (back up gun) match for that i use a sig 938. living in the country allows me to set up a course of fire in the back of the property for fun practice sessions. if you ever come north stop by for some shooting fun. I'm always up for that. exercise those second amendment rights every chance you get. after tonight who knows what will happen to them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

If I get up that way we will hook up. I am always down to shoot so is Ethan. I have a 70 series Combat Commander that I like to shoot but I also Have a Springfield Range Officer that is also a Hell of a gun. I recently got a Keltec KSG that is a whole lot of fun to shoot.
    My favorite though is big bore Revolvers.

27. i shot a friends 50 cal revolver this past spring. while fun and accurate it was not something i would want to shoot a box through. six was enough for me. the 410 shotgun shell revolver looks like fun. i prefer sigs due to their reliability and superb triggers.

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have a SW 500 a Taurus 454 Casull numerous 44 Mags and a Contender with various barrels
    and I reload for all of them:)

29. squirrel

squirrel

one of the DW guys from Australia posted this on fb....it's the Aussie magazine Street Machine.

street machine 31.jpg

(they also put a pic of my car in it, but that's for another thread)

els, Dog_Patch, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  30. Thanks for the heads up. can your friend send me a copy? i could pay for it in advance.

els likes this.