Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods We never learn!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, Nov 1, 2016.

1. image.png When will we ever learn not to buy and old car. Have liked 32 Fords and 54 Chevys all my life. As a kid I drove my 54 thru town wishing it was a 32 Ford. Now I drive my 32 thru the town and think about my old 54. So here is my newest 54. Will go get it in a few days. No chop no bags just an old mans car for an old man.

2. R Pope

R Pope

Where's the pix?

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Boy that's solid looking. I like it. Have fun!

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

It looks like a good solid start. I have been working on a 54 in between many other projects. We started driving it this last month. I wanted to work the bugs out of it, then paint the front clip and do the interior this winter. Although mine is a 210, I used a combination of 210 and 150 trim. I really enjoy driving the car. We plan to use it for coast to coast trips.

John 54driver20.jpg

brEad, deucemac, slack and 8 others like this.

5. Thumbs WAY up!!!

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. mike bowling

mike bowling

AGE doesn't mean squat; it's ATTITUDE that matters!
    I'm 68 and just started building that thing in my avatar and I'm having a blast doing it . ( it has caused some of my friends to question my sanity)

Good luck with it.

Update, 3/2/2018- I'll be 70 in August and it's not ON the road ( legally) but it is IN the road. Starts stops and shifts. DSCN3616.JPG

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the Anglia running last year, using many pieces of your old induction, (thanks for the great deal) and just bought a '55 Ford Customline. You hit the nail on the head, another old car, for another old guy! Gonna be a V-8, automatic with air. NO BAGS, just old school down low and comfy.
    Best of luck.
    Tom

clem, oldsjoe, 41 mopar and 1 other person like this.
  8. That was a terrible decision, I think you should just pack it up and send it to me- I will pay the postage, of course! That looks like one neat Chevy you got yourself!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Think I need another 54. would be my 4th. I see the wagon I traded off 10 years ago still bouncing around town in the same condition

chriseakin and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. belair

belair

Cool. What engine will you use?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Unless a great running 235 falls from the sky it will be the same ole thing. The free 350 350 that I've been offered. Actually two 350 long blocks of unknown condition.

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

54's are some of the best looking cars out there! Right on the cusp of big styling changes for Chevy.

Durbinspeedshop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. belair

belair

Look on CL for a 235. You never know...

kbgreen likes this.
  14. Dick,that's a good looking car and I know exactly what your talking about.

Like you I am a Deuce nut but I remember driving my old '54 Ford as a teenager and dreaming about a deuce,now that we have Brenda's wagon on the road we are really enjoying both,I am sure you will do the same! HRP

15. Dick,where's the link? I see there are more photos.HRP

16. I would bet that most of us on here at some time have said we are building our last car, only to buy another one when it comes along. If its in your blood, its what you do until you can't move anymore.

17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

My first car was a 54 Chevy 210 2 door sedan and I keep looking at them myself. If I ever get the coupe I'm working on finished I would like to find another one. Looks like a good solid car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'll GIVE you a 270 if you come get it ... there's already enough 350 $&#$#$#&*(&%@# around.

19. 2935ford

2935ford

My brother gave me his beat up '53 convert back in the 60's cause he couldn't get it started. He came home from work and I had it running.........he took it back!
    That's ok, I didn't have a drivers license yet!
    Showed him what I did to fix it.
    Took me off to buy me a triple scoop ice cream cone.
    He traded it in on a 4dr post '57 bel air which he let me drive when i finally got my license.
    I'd rather have had that '53 rag top!

They are good solid cars, enjoy!

clem, oldsjoe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Danny I'll try to figure out how to do the link stuff. But I'm thinking I can get it too your email. Thanks
    HRP check your mail. 50 50 chance it's there.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Put a nice 283 in it!

afaulk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Got the e-mail,I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. HRP

23. In High School one of my classmates had a 54. It was nosed and decked with elec doors. Had a nice 6cyl in it with 3 one barrels. 3 speed on the floor. It was kinda candy red with black primer where it was nosed and decked as well as where they removed the door handles. The big plus was it had a solid white tuck and rolled interior. At the time I thought it was one of the coolest car I had ever seen. If I had money I would make one just like it today.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So.....he has a 350, but he should look for a 235?? Is that right?? Man, I don't think I will ever get this traditional" hot rod" thing...:confused:

25. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice solid looking car! Free is an excellent price,I would be going to get that 350\350.

26. Rand Man

Rand Man

That reminds me of the '54 hardtop I almost bought when I turned sixteen. The interior was full custom. Seats, dash, everything.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. belair

belair

Read post 11 George. Sounds like he wants a 235.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Still not clear what getting rid of a 350 and replacing it with a 235 has to do with hot rods? I don't get it...

29bowtie, HiHelix and cactus1 like this.
  29. 'Cause its traditional to slam SBCs duh! ;)