Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. I'm finally getting my project back in to a garage I can work on so I feel your pain on having a project for 10 plus years and it still being not running lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Thank you! I appreciate the kind words!

Thanks buddy! I always think of your comment about projects like this having a tendency to not get done when they go on this long. It's one of the few things I still REALLY hold on to, to remind me how important it is to finish this car. Even if it takes longer than any other build on here.

52plybizcoupe and Hansa1100 like this.
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess what!? I'm doing an update! Not what I would have hoped to share, but it's all I have for now.

I've been forced to work on our old home for a variety of reasons that I will share later, but with all the irons in the fire, the Murray has had to wait. That being said, the room that all the parts were being stored in when I blew it apart for paint, is now undergoing a mandatory major gut job (roof structure included) so the best place to store the parts is naturally ON THE CAR! So here's how she looks. First time it's been mostly back together (less garnish molding and a bunch of small parts and about half the screws and bolts) in about 4 years +.

Wish I had more to report, but at least it kind of looks like a car again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you can see sort of what the gloss machine grey interior sheet metal will look like against the Washington blue and black parts. Also mounted the chrome shifter for the first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pwmcx95, brEad, Stogy and 12 others like this.
  4. They look so much better as a roller and not in pieces on a shelf. We have faith in you.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome back! Great to see the project again, hope you can find time to do some work on it. Bob

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm so close, guys. It's really just been the whole paint thing that has me screwed up. I had a friend and great local painter lined up to go ahead and finish the "cab" portion of the car for me, (which says a LOT about the state I'm in, when I'm going to outsource something on this car), but when my Wife and and got back from our long overdue honeymoon and found storm damage on a portion of our house that was only going to be partially covered by insurance (read: not covered) the car got pushed off again. My goal was to actually have it done for GoodGuys this weekend, but... well... like I said. Shit happens. And it happens every time I give myself a deadline on this car. No more deadlines. It'll get done when the man upstairs wants it to, I guess.

7. Didja ever hear of a scrub line? ;)

8. 73RR

73RR

...pretty sure that Scott has that covered.....

Stogy and scootermcrad like this.
  9. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Scott, looks great sitting there. It will look fantastic when painted and driving. I can sympathize and empathize with you on this. I understand the need to have things come before this and wanting things to come before this. Now that my Corvair has sat for years with nothing done to it as I have had to do things and wanted to do other things before getting back to it, I can understand the state you are in. I know it has not been as long as you, but I understand how things get away and time slips by. You have done a lot since you started the car, couple of new jobs, moving across the country, marrying a wonderful woman, buying a house, repairing said house, etc. Take your time, do it your way so you are happy and proud of the outcome. Fuck deadlines!!!

Stogy and Drewfus like this.
  10. I asked only because that first picture he posted looks a bit iffy. The front of the body looks to be about 2" off the pavement. Maybe it's an optical illusion.

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Scott is one of the more skilled fabricators on here. Hell, he works for a NASCAR team. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, chaddilac, Hansa1100 and 5 others like this.
  12. Here's a deadline for you which of us can get our perpetual projects done first?:rolleyes:;)

Stogy likes this.
  13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's "late to the party"? ;)

Thanks brother! Miss ya!

Awesome! Success! Pretty much just an illusion, but there's a lot of illusions (or maybe delusions) on this car. That's always been the point here. There are some newly added band clamps for the exhaust that push the limit pretty hard, but the car is actually a solid 5+ inches off the ground except at the front axle center. I also made sure that the frame is the lowest point on the car, so if anything ever did happen, I'm hitting frame and not hitting components that would lead to a catastrophic event. I will certainly be watching where I drive, none the less.

Thanks man! I'm just a stupid engineer though. They don't let me fabricate very often. :D HAHA I got nothing on some of the incredibly talented fabricators in the shop! OH!!! And what the hell!?? You've been coming to Charlotte and not stopping in! You better plan on seeing us next time you're in town!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Stogy and Late to the Party like this.
  14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES!!!! Hahahahaha!! Exactly!

Stogy and K13 like this.
  15. Mine's been done for a year ... what's takin' you guys so long? ;)

Stogy and K13 like this.
  16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Scrub lines are for squares!!!

[​IMG]

scootermcrad likes this.
  17. hasty

hasty

Such a nice car - great to see it together. Very sorry to hear about your house problems - wish you much better luck here on in.

scootermcrad likes this.
  18. llonning

llonning

Good to see you have accomplished something. Best of luck getting it finished!!

Len

scootermcrad likes this.
  19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it's new years eve, and I basically haven't accomplished much car related this year, yet had many inquiries regarding the Murray. Even some offers to buy it (which really threw me off). But here's why...

...My wife and I had a beautiful little girl, Hannah, and right now she has to rule our lives.

[​IMG]

The car itself still looks like the previous pictures posted towards the top of this page.

Many of you have hung with me for YEARS on this car. I think we're over 11 years now, if I'm calculating that right. We literally are planning some time off of work for me to finish the paint on the car in 2018. This will push me over the edge and allow me to finish the car. In the meantime, I guess I need to find a new photo host, since Photobucket has single-handedly decided to destroy the internet. I will post pictures as I make more progress of the car.

Thanks to everyone that cares about this weird car! I'll have some updates this year and I'll try to fix whatever pictures got killed or will repost them.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    S

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    patmanta, brad2v, 54reno and 9 others like this.
  20. I'm just waiting for pictures of the baby seat, you, the wife, and that car on the banks of the nearest high oval track in the Carolinas. That car will 'scoot.

21. Sooooo, it's New Year's Eve 2018 ... I assume the car is finished now?

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit Dave.... Don't you need to update your avatar picture, or something? ;)

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I play my cards right, GoodGuys is at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Or... maybe I can poke around at work and see if I can get hooked up with 15 minutes to take a couple laps. HA!

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That is one cute kid!

scootermcrad likes this.
  25. mgermca

mgermca

Thanks for the update Scoot, looks like you have your hands full. Congrats. Many are subscribed here so we'll see your updates when you get around to 'em.
    Best wishes..

scootermcrad likes this.
  26. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Dude. Congratulations! She's awesome! It's the greatest thing ever. Completely sidelines everything you've been doing, but is so crazy and fun. Keira isn't much older, I hope we can get these two together someday man! It's funny how much a lil girl will change you- My wife is always laughing about my seemingly militant feminism.:D

IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG

27. hasty

hasty

Beautiful side project! But what about the car? Happy New Year and I hope you get time to work on it in 2018 - much too much promise to sit there.

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyy.The new boss has arrived.Now you are outnumbered.
    Have a healthy,happy safe and prosperous New Year from me and mine to you and yours.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

chryslerfan55 and scootermcrad like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bet you're sorry you ruined that Fordor now, cute kid. Happy New Year! :):):) Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. You are so close and have stuck with it more than I would have. It looks great all together and I can envision it in final color.
    Not many people have taken a car from their own mind to paper rendering to completion. I hope it works out and you get it finished Buddy......You and Holly have a beauty in Hannah....Happy New Year!

chryslerfan55 likes this.