Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods paying for a car not near me.... need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Oct 3, 2016.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

I am buying a car out of El Paso, TX and I am in Austin. I have a shipping arranged, but not sure how to pay the seller. He's old school and wants me to pay in person or he saidhe would take a check. My concern is blindly sending a total stranger (off Craigslist) a check.

Any thoughts on how to make this happen.... Normally I'd just go get it, but I am work is soo busy, I don't have the time.

What have other HAMB'ers done in this situation?

2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Maybe have a good friend go look at it and pay if everything is good

3. See if ya can get the guy to bring it to you.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

I wouldn't pay anything except a deposit until I had possession of the car and a signed title. A good way to pay the final amount is with a wire transfer or cash.

Gary

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Maybe a reliable Hamber can lend a hand?

117harv likes this.
  6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Can't be that far away, both cities in the same state. Hahahahaha. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

belair and chevy57dude like this.
  7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I don't want to sound like a "dick" but it's 8 hrs away if you can't take time off from work (do you work 7 days/week) you probably should not by the car. Maybe pay 2 friends to go get it.

Pat

8. 73RR

73RR

Yeah, if the car has any 'real' value then take off on a Saturday and go get it. 540 miles has you back home on Sunday
    with the car and no scam worries.

9. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask if he has a paypal account but if hes old school then probably not. Google his name and see if something comes up. Long distance purchases makes me weary paying ahead, but its worked out so far.
    I'd like to see a pic of your new car. good luck

10. Hombre

Hombre

Here is my experience with Long Distance Craigslist. I recently found one of the Hemi Mock Up blocks on craigslist. These things sell for around $550 new, this one also came with a 727 Tranny ( mock-up as well) and the price was damn cheap at $200 for everything. I called and talked to the seller and asked him if he would ship it for me. I told him that I would of course pay for the shipping and give him an extra $50 for his troubles. Didn't hear back from the guy for over a week and then he call's and says it's ready to ship. I with reservations sent him payment but thru pay-pal, I did this not the friend and family thing but for "goods" so that I may have some chance of a little protection. I also pay'd the 4% charge that pay-pal gets for sending money for Goods. I got that block in three days, so for me it went like it was supposed to.

Now with that said I don't believe I would ever send some guy cash and after all a check is cash once its cashed at the bank. If my deal had of been as close as 500 miles I would have made that drive even though we are talking a lot less money for my block that for your car.

Use your head here, if I was closer I would gladly go and get the car for you. If I feel that way surely you have someone who you trust that can do the same. Hell pay for there fuel, food and is they need to spend the night cough up the money for that as well. Sending some stranger a handful of money may not be the best thing you ever did.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I could not imagine buying a car without looking at it so I would hand him cash when I went to have a look and pick it up. I don't have any idea what you should do.

12. clem

clem

a) Miss some sleep and go and get it in person.
    b) Or miss a little sleep while wondering if it will all go well.
    c) Or, miss a lot of sleep if it doesn't.

I would go with a) - around 600 miles each way

Hopefully someone here will be able to help.

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Second on the bank wire transfer. Have him email/fax a copy of title with a receipt showing all terms. With a wire transfer, you are protected somewhat.

verno30 likes this.
  14. BJR

BJR

I would send him a check for double the amount you were quoted to have it shipped and have him bring it to you. If you don't like it you are out the shipping, and he gets paid for his time and gas. If all is good you pay for the car and he gets paid for his time and gas for delivering it.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And the assumption here is that the seller has a way to haul the car. If not, and the assumption is that he's driving it to deliver, how is the poor bastard gonna get home?

If it's me interested in a car that's 577 miles away, to the point that I'm considering sending the seller the payment, you can bet that I'm hooking up the trailer, and tag-teaming the driving with a buddy. Hand the seller the cash if it's as advertised. If it's not, I'm back home in another 8 hours, and I've got a story to tell about how happy I am that I didn't do what you are considering doing.

Several years ago I sold an O/T car (67 Charger) to a fellow that lived about 8 hours away. He bought a cheap round-trip ticket and flew out to look at the car, with cash in hand. I drove the car to the airport to pick him up, he test-drove it, said it's a deal, handed me the cash, did some paperwork, dropped me off at home and drove it back. If I had misrepresented the car he would have jumped back on the next flight and gone home.

16. upspirate

upspirate

I bought my truck near New Orleans...a 11 hour drive I think it was.
    Towed a U-haul trailer out there, (cheaper than one way) stayed overnight, tested the truck,handed him cash,(would have got the cash from my bank out there, but they didn't have BOA in Louisiana ?!!)went to their DMV for transfer, then drove home. Cheaper to take a day or two off than loose the whole shootin' match !!!

17. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

In my opinion, a wire transfer from his bank to your bank. worked for me when I bought a car from New York state.

18. Road trip, road trip!!!!

19. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

DON'T.............. I bought a car with out seeing it, paid a lot of money and 2 years later still regretting it. I wanted this body style real bad but forgot the Golden Rule of buying. that is don't buy until you or a friend or an appraiser can check it out for you. I tried GG, NSRA fellow pages and couldn't find any one to check it out and it was 2k miles from me air, motel and rental car came to over 2 grand so I jumped the shark and bought it, when it showed up there was dirt from front to back on it, he had a tire bearing fire and when he opened up the rear trailer door he grabbed sand and dirt and threw it on the fire, he got the fire out but when he went back to driving the tar flooring that had melted down between the floor boards blew up on the car so when I saw 9 hours later with all the crap on it and the other things wrong all I could think of was what dumb ass I was for letting all this happen. I've spent the last 2 years working on this POS.

20. upspirate

upspirate

A problem with the transporter has nothing to do with not seeing the car first....it didn't have that before the delivery. Or am I missing something ?

21. r2c1

r2c1

evo I'm from El Paso. Going down tomorrow to work on my roadster and probably again Sat. PM me info and I'll check it out for you. Ron

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. I would not schedule transport of a vehicle that has not been paid for in full.

Payment terms are up to the Seller - not you.

He already told you - cash or check.

I would not release a vehicle I sold until the check had cleared my bank.

Jim

verno30 likes this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

When I paid for my truck under similar circumstances I checked the seller out thoroughly. Ran a background check. Long time resident, owned his property, owned a business.

24. Sold a OT 72 Mustang my deceased uncle had owned since new to a person in Minn. a few years ago. Took it to a local body shop of his choosing for inspection and photos of areas he was concerned about. He was happy. He wired money to my bank and I overnighted title to him. I think there are Escrow services that can be used as well if there is significant money involved. Of course Pay Pal seems to offer good protection for purchasers as well.

25. Yamaha970

Yamaha970

Have them meet you halfway then make them buy you lunch because you know they will have money..make sure you pay them before you eat though...win/win

26. With me living in Alaska , I can not just jump in a truck and drive to the states to look at vehicles nor can I just jump on a plane. I have bought several vehicles without physically looking at them. All deals went well.
    Here is what I do , spend several phone calls chatting with the seller .
    ask all kinds of questions , just to get a feel for the seller
    ask for specific pics and a lot of them
    I always ask also if the vehicle can set there until I can arrange shipping
    ask if the seller has legal documents and can generate a bill of sale
    if all the above has been met. I pull the trigger and send a cashiers check.

This is risky but if I get screwed , you can bet I will jump on a plane or drive my
    vehicle down to bend someones nose.
    I have had to visit one guy before , the end results were verry satisfying
    Vic

27. I'd take Ron (r2c1) up on his generous offer. Ron definitely knows what he's looking at & I trust his knowledge.
    You couldn't find a better guy for the job.

Mick

Snowman454007 and r2c1 like this.
  28. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

LOL, I was think the same thing when read the original post.

Ummm...nothing to add except only buy a car sight-unseen if it is a parts cars. JMO.

29. patterg2003

patterg2003

I was interested in a truck that was 4 days of long driving, plus gas, 3 nights in hotels, food etc. I found a reputable classic car appraiser that did a thorough study of the vehicle & reported the findings. Flying down & back with travel would have been more than the inspection as the nearest major airport is 4 hours in either direction. Really envy those who are well situated for getting out to swap meets, searching for parts etc. & part of a larger group of hobbyists.

The inspection cost was $400 including a bit of mileage. Truck sold faster than expected so the expense was avoided. Seemed like a reasonable way to avoid buying a vehicle that may not have been all that. The risk was the sellers perception and representation of condition vs the opinion of a critical eye of a professional checking it out from top to bottom. Not to say the person selling was misrepresenting but everyone has a different opinion of condition, "minor rust", minor repairs etc. when selling as opposed to buying. It is great to see Hamber's jumping in to help one another.

30. oldscl

oldscl

Please don't forget that the seller is also selling to a 'total stranger (off Craigslist)'.

It may be amusing to search and find posts just like yours, but the opposite way round: "Bloke wants to buy my car sight unseen, how can I be sure I'm not being ripped off with him just reversing the Paypal after it's shipped?" ANSWER: Cash or bank cheque.

The seller has his terms and unless you can meet them, you have to accept there is risk on your side.

Best of luck.

upspirate likes this.