Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sbc Mounts

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sbf001, Sep 24, 2016.

1. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

I am just getting started on my roadster project. I am using a small block Chevy 283 and 1931 A rails. What is the best way to mount a sbc? I've seen motor plates and frame cradles. Just wondering what mounts others have used.
    Thanks

henryj1951 likes this.
  2. Hombre

Hombre

depends on which 283 you have. Does it have side mount boss's?

henryj1951 likes this.
  3. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

Motor is from 1966 I can check it out tomorrow.

henryj1951 likes this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You have side mount bosses.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

image.png image.png Couple pics from pinkies hot rods

henryj1951 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. bab59

bab59

Buy some 1962 Impala V8 Motor mounts and fab frame to engine based off them. Real simple design with rubber insulation.

henryj1951 likes this.
  7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

You can use either the side or front mounts, either works well. I home fabbed front mounts on my last Model A and the current one got side mounts only because I had them in a box of junk. I think they're trifive Chevy truck swap mounts and I'll whittle away at them until the don't look like ass.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1474785639.820532.jpg

henryj1951 and mike bowling like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw this on an A Sedan last weekend at the East West Flathead run.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very simple and easy to fabricate.

henryj1951 likes this.
  9. Since you placed this question in the traditional forum; probably the most fitting mount would be a Hurst saddle mount or Speedway's copy. Depending on your other build choices some Chassis Eng mounts as Mr48chev posted above may suit your needs for something sorta old looking due to the use of Ford style biscuits.

henryj1951 and F&J like this.
  10. Manager

Manager

If you are going to run cross steer the front saddle mount mentioned can save you a bit of grief with mounting the steering box.

henryj1951 likes this.
  11. mike bowling

mike bowling

3x3 angle and a set of "hockey puck" cushions- 25-30 bucks total
    Billet crap from a hot rod shop? hundreds of dollars ( that's a lot of beer)

12. Speedway probably has the most comprehensive selection for mounts. Or at least ideas.

henryj1951 likes this.
  13. amadeus

amadeus

Like Mr48 Chevy posted ,
    In all my builds I have used the Chassis Engineering ones like the style pictured above, the quality of the CE mounts is excellent ! They use a different rubber compound thar doesnt deteriorate and or distort/flex and the biscuit style mounts allow you to "fine tune" your mount angles with just stacking thick washers , if you decide on the biscuit style i strongly suggest you stay away from the other cheap taiwan kits,the rubber falls apart and is super soft ! CE has the best ready made brackets and rubber mounts IMO

henryj1951 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  14. ^^^^ X2.
    I have seen the Speedway pads flatten out and even split in a short period of time and don't be fooled by the mounts Gearhead sells on ebay; they are inferior copies.
    Almost forgot there is another east coast seller that advertise (and pictures) CE mounts on ebay; but ships Gearhead mounts; guess they get away with that by a little red print note that the "actual products may differ from the images".

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    henryj1951 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  15. aaggie

aaggie

Probably the easiest mounts to fabricate. All you need is a bracket for the frame , a bracket for the engine and a hard rubber pad and bolt to connect them. It is very easy to get carried away with exotic machining and welding and end up with one part of your car that makes the rest of it look like an after thought. When you assemble the build it always makes sense to carry the quality theme the same for all parts so the total build just looks right from any angle. Like a high end paint job on a non descript four door econobox, it is just wrong.

henryj1951 likes this.
  16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

You have side mount s... there GTG...:cool: