Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squirrel

squirrel

modified an electric wiper motor to fit the Edsel. so now I have a wiper. Yay.

kiwijeff and Daniels Auto Repair like this.
  2. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

metal flaked my dash today in silver...crappy pic's...cab is still taped up til I get a bit more clear on it....the rest of the body on the outside is electric blue metal flake over ford color,blueprint....just hope none of the silver has escaped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Turn around trip to Buckeye Arizona with my Nephew to see this. And yes, he brought it home. [​IMG]

4. Muttley

Muttley

No, just the single speed Red Band coaster hub. I'd like to get one of those for my next project that I'll be starting soon but they aren't cheap. I'm putting a blue '65 together next, I'll post some photos when it's finished.

5. Got to drive these two . Model A built in 1958 . 33 has flathead with 3x2s , 39 Zephr trans . Both were lots of fun . Blue
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Slid my new engine in the same way, with trans attached. Sure beats the tranny bench press/stab routine from underneath. Fire up this weekend. Now's when I start wondering if I forgot to torque any rod nuts. ;)

Daniels Auto Repair likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Made and snapped into place some ABS interior panels for my RPU.

20160813_192124.jpg 20160818_124938.jpg 20160818_125056.jpg

8. triman62

triman62

Temperature dropped to mid 70's from mid 90's, so I decided to cut out some more rust and weld in some patch pieces. Picture0818161916_1.jpg

9. Unloaded the coupe from my return trip from Bonneville as got home around noon. Now all I have to do is clean the complete car after tearing it all apart. But it's worth it as Bonneville was a total blast this year. Over 600 race entries.

10. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

finished off insulating my rod
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and Daniels Auto Repair like this.
  11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

12. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Thought I would replace the coil springs in the Merc. I don't think I have ever seen one that needed changing this much. No wonder it rode so bad. Has anyone ever seen on this bent? 20160822_135820_resized (1).jpg

Daniels Auto Repair and kiwijeff like this.
  13. Im working on getting these tobys painted.
    They are the plugs for gas station fuel tanks, and the small one may date back ti the thirties.
    I paint them for my auto sparky, whos a vintage car guy.
    Just got a few touch ups to do, then he will be guving me more to do.
    Its a fun job. 20160823_135637.jpg 20160823_135644.jpg

14. LAROKE

LAROKE

Still hot in South Florida. Eighty degree nights, ninety degree days with one hundred ten degree plus heat indexes. Too uncomfortable in the BillyBob Shop to spend much time out there. Don't even spend enuf time in the short shop sessions to justify opening up the beer of the day. Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours with the Latham supercharger. The identity tag is missing but I did find "0084" stamped at the front mount bracket under the pulley.

When this arrived at the Krash Lab, It was broken down in two packages. Carburetors and manifold were not bolted up. On Saturday, I assembled the Latham assembly in Deerslayer's bed, the only uncluttered space I still have in the shop currently. Took a bit of pondering but I eventfully got it together. I was only short two hex nuts for the manifold. Everything else was there tho' I don't think there were two carb bolts alike.

It was nice to see all the complicated carb linkage was in place and workable. The carbs on each side are ganged together. From there, a vertical rod goes down to a bell crank on each side which is connected to a shaft running under the supercharger. I wouldn't want to figure out something like this on my own. The carbs all have their sheet metal tags, something that usually goes missing with the first carb rebuild. These carbs are Carter YH 3172S carbs. The manifold is a two piece thing and I will be able to take the top portion and adapt it to a nailhead four-barrel manifold without too much trouble.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jet96, falcongeorge and kiwijeff like this.
  15. I think the heat finally broke here on the Island. Been 90*-103* for the past 7 or 8 weeks. It was 56* this morning at 6, usually been around 75*.

Took my car over to a buddy's shop on Saturday, put it on the lift, did the 2nd oil change. Adjusted the drag link, looked at my Muncie leak, turns it was over-filled, will watch the leak. Adjusted the rear brakes, checked everything under the car to make sure it was tight.

16. Yesterday afternoon I finally found that damned annoying rattle on my old Deuce beater that has drove me nuts for almost a year and it took a oil change to find it.

I'm still not able get down on the floor and crawl around under the car so I took the sedan over to my pal Earl and got it up on the lift and let him change the oil,while we were talking I ask him did he hear the rattle when I drobe the car on the rack and he said he did.

As soon as he was finished with the oil change he got a ladder out and climbed up to crank the car and we were under the car and started looking and listening for the noise.

Nothing was visible loose and we went front to rear,and we finally located the area where the noise was coming from,Inside the passenger side tail pipe,Earl tried a telescopic magnet and sure enough he found the culprit.

A 9/16" nut,I have no idea how it got there but I can honestly saw the ride home was pleasant and rattle free ~ now I can hear all the squeaks! :rolleyes: HRP

barryvanhook, Jet96, Petejoe and 5 others like this.
  17. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Installed some carbs. 20160916_145706.jpg

19. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Looks like they were heated at some point.

20. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

21. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

First outside with cardboard, then to metal on car. This was Sunday, Mondays adventures.

22. Showed the owner the rude mosquitoe that had landed in his freshly painted Harley rear fender.
    I painted it last weekend, and not two minutes after being done, the mosquitoe decided to become one with the fender, bastard!
    I'll respray it this week. IMG_20160916_170138.jpg

23. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

I have my interior out. As well as my gas tank. Painted my gas tank.

24. Got a shroud on the car, seems to make some difference, need to drive it more in traffic.
    914-025.JPG 914-028.JPG

25. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Started to dig out my 303-324 stuff for Hershey. Found a set of Moon and Holmes valve covers i forgot i had.My son and I cleaned up the shop too. We were rained out for tonight at Ohsweken Speedway for the Canadian Sprintcar Nationals so decided to get caught up with things that need to be done. Sometimes the rain helps out! Fedco

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bugger all. Was supposed to have a work party at a buddys house, and haul my fingerbrake home, but its the first "PNW fall day" (which means monsoon downpour, combined with such heavy cloudcover it looks like dusk all day:() NO ONE in the PNW does anything on the first day like this, we just stay indoors, and feel all depressed as the realization that its going to be like this till March sinks in. It takes time to adjust...:(
    I baked a loaf of bread, work party was postponed, even the guy that needed the help doesn't want to go outside...:rolleyes:

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Finally got this mess cleaned up yesterday, like George, pissy PNW weather gave me an excuse to sit on my ass today.

Cripes, women drivers!

20160514_143129.jpg 20160624_130402.jpg

More better

20160917_145647.jpg

LOU WELLS, Jet96 and jeffd1988 like this.
  28. Well I rolled out a pair of door skins a while back when I had some slave labor to help . Today I cut the old skin off and marked the inside with a scribe ,then went over to the bead roller with tipping die and pulled up the edges , and trimmed off excess . Tried them on the door frame and made a few adjustments . Pulled it off and dug out my blast pot and cleaned up inside the frame . I brushed a coat of KBS on thick and after an hour I refitted the skin . Rolled all the edges , kind of hard on the reverse of the COE door . You have to stretch then shrink . Welded up seam , should do all my welding in morn before all the coffee and Mountain Dew might look a little nicer , dam the old man shakes . Will grind in morn , and do a little hammer work then do other door . Blue
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg The light makes it look like its warped bad but it's not .

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Weather is great here. But I am staying in my A/C controlled basement shop working on off topic project.
    If I go outside my yard work is haunting me.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

At least she missed your mailbox! That first day of heavy rain after summer ends is pretty depressing, isn't it! After a day or two to accept and adjust, we just gotta get back on it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.