Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Hillman Husky 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskyV8, Feb 28, 2014.

1. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Thanks Denny. Tried to keep is as close to stock as possible including colors. Only real difference is that the floors would have been covered with rubber mats.

2. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Had the front bumper chromed. Old chrome was flaking off and was sharp. I may change to a different style grill at some point.

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

Dog_Patch and Peanut 1959 like this.
  3. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Took all day Sunday and Monday night but I got the last of the interior panels cut to fit. I had to make a template and then test fit, cut, cut some more. Once it fit i painted it. This panel had a few more things needed so it took longer than the other panels.

I'm not happy with the cut out for the rear door release latch so will probably machine a bezel out of stainless. As is it looks unfinished. The stainless door is where the brake master cylinder hides. There wasn't room for it anywhere else. Panel colors look a little different but I think the one in the back was painted a while ago while the other one was just painted. If I have to I'll take the back one out and shoot it again.
    IMG_1651.JPG

Dog_Patch likes this.
  4. cfmvw

cfmvw

I'm very impressed with the engineering and level of detail that went into this build - you've done a fantastic job at bringing it all together!

5. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

One of the last big projects is to fabricate a parcel tray for the front. I have pieces of the old one but it won't fit with all the changes that were done to the firewall. Not sure if I should go with steel, original hardboard fiberglass or something else. Last time I went with one of those round concrete forms and cut it to the shape I wanted.

Here's what's left of the piece from the passenger side. I cut it down so its only 4" deep.

IMG_1652.JPG

It can't be that deep on the driver's side because of the offset steering box.
    IMG_1653.JPG

Here's what it looks like in the brochure. I may do a similar look for the center and mount a speaker behind it.

IMG_1655.JPG

6. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Thanks. I never like throwing things together. I like working out the little details and that's why its taking so long to get it finished.

7. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Spent some time on the car this weekend getting the parcel tray under the dash finished. My buddy Dave whipped out the sheet metal and then we covered it in carpet. Turned out great and looks a lot like the original piece.

Cut out is where the steering passes through. I'm leaving the vent pulls even though they don't do anything.
    IMG_1656.JPG

I had painter's blue tape on the bottom rail and it removed a lot of the original paint when I removed the tape. There wasn't any primer under the original paint so I guess it did ok to stay on there as long as it did.

IMG_1657.JPG

Dave hand formed the piece around the column.

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

I found an old registration holder for the column so I don't have to worry about it blowing around.
    IMG_1662.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  8. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

The stone guards add a nice finishing touch. Still need the rubber trim around the edges but I like the look.

These are off a Hillman Minx. Fit is a little different between the two cars but they turned out pretty good.
    IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

Unkl Ian, Dog_Patch and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Can we get a whole car pic soon?

10. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Yeah I'll snag a few. Will try and get a video too.

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey Husky, Where did you get that nice simple overflow bottle? I think I have a couple of projects that they would work perfect on. Thanks.

12. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

It's a bottle from a windshield washer set-up on a Sunbeam/Hillman. I added the brass fittings and mounted it using the original mount. I liked the bottle because it says Rootes which is the company that made Hillman.

You can purchase the bottle from Sunbeam Specialties 408-371-1642. I think it was around $40.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I could use one for my Austin. And, it's even a British car part!?! I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

14. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Took some photos yesterday while I was out driving around.

IMG_1666.JPG

I think I'll swap out this grill for another one that is original to the car.
    IMG_1667.JPG

A nice shot of the weeds too.
    IMG_1668.JPG
    I'm on the lookout for a better rear door....in the same color.
    IMG_1669.JPG

Need to throw on some wipers and a mirror on the driver door.

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

15. That is one sick ride... you have done well.

loudbang likes this.
  16. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I like it. Find a way to run hubcaps and you would have quite the sleeper.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  17. dehudso

dehudso

18. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Thank you!

19. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I already went the hubcap route on my other Husky with a V8 so thought Id do something different on this one.

These are original wheels but I had the hoops widened a bit for bigger tires. Pictures are a bit older. Since these were taken I had them powder coated again in a less orange color. Husky.jpg

My old Willys wagon hiding in the background.

Husky3.jpg

mgtstumpy and Dog_Patch like this.
  20. verde742

verde742

they are sooo darn cute,, great job, wish it hadn't ended....:(

:confused: personally don't like the chrome, doesn't fit, IMO

21. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

It's not done yet. Still loose ends to chase. Lots to do like weatherstripping, new windshield, windshield wipers, interior trim work, changing fuel and brake lines, and some seat work to add some strength to them.

Still can drive it and have some fun.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  22. Man what a great car. Hope my 52 Minx convertible will look as good as yours. Mine is still very rusty and without an engine (have a 302 Ford for it)

Hennie

23. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Sounds like the 52 Minx will be a fun one. Post a picture....would love to see it.

24. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Its been a while since any updates but I finally crossed two more of the to do list.

This is the correct grill for the car. Found it NOS on eBay. Also got the windshield wipers on.
    IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

This is the old grill which would have been correct for an earlier Hillman.

IMG_1670.JPG

25. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

This was the big accomplishment over the weekend. The temp would creep up a bit at idle so I wanted a fan shroud. Gives it a more finished look too.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the fan is half in and half out of the shroud. My buddy Dave made the shroud for me. It started out as a generic shroud from Summit and Dave modified it to fit.
    IMG_1731.JPG
    Just a bit of orange peel but this is what you get with rattle can paint in California.

IMG_1732.JPG

Haven't had a true test to see how it works. I did drive it today and it stayed right on 180. Shut it off and let it heat soak up to 190 then started it again and let it idle its way back to 180. Its only in the 70s where I'm at so not a real test.
    IMG_1733.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    mgtstumpy, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  26. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Got a tach on the way. Its pretty small 52mm so hopefully I can find a place for it. They didn't have one less than 8,000 RPMs.

350260001sib140.jpg

Also have this clock that will go in somewhere.
    smiths-52mm-clock-black-dial-with-half-v-chrome-bezel-167-p.jpg

mgtstumpy, loudbang and cfmvw like this.
  27. LTM75110

LTM75110

Looking good,Still loving those Daisy`s

28. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Thanks. Always loved them too.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Can you direct me to the Summit shroud your buddy started with? Perhaps a part number? I need to build one too. Thanks.

30. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

great job, it came out really well!