Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Four Banger, GMC Blower, and a flathead block, good to see you'r collecting. Bob

[​IMG]

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the comments, guys! Feels good just to work on this thing. It's like it knows and appreciates it, or something.

Oh Bob... Collecting. A little bit. I've picked up 3 more car projects since I moved to NC to pick at. The crazy thing is, I had all that junk in the background when I lived in CA! HA!

Left to right... AR banger, Hemi block with GMC blower, more Hemis, then another complete diamond block flatty A-banger that a HAMBer gifted to me for a 26/27 Roadster build. One thing at a time though... right? Thankfully that's the worst of the piles. I haven't totally reached hoarding status, despite the fact that there are more parts in the house and in the new shed...

3. 73RR

73RR

...just works of 'art' in the wrong gallery....

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Moving`s a bitch.Ain`t it?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES! It IS!! Worst one yet and hopefully the last one. It was bad enough that when we got here, my wife said, "You can tare down the house and build a new one, add on to it, build a new one behind it, whatever! I don't care, but we are never moving again!" And she still stands behind that statement. HAHA!

brEad, TexasSpeed and volvobrynk like this.
  6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright, alright! I have a small update for you. Nothing too exciting, but a good update none the less.

Rear brake lines are formed and mounted, bottom of the body painted, fuel shutoff switch mounted in the rocker area, rear exhaust pipes for the cutouts done and and cut to length, and that means it was really just time to put the body on, and I think for good!

Was getting really frustrating not having the room to work in here. Every inch counts with all this junk in here...
    [​IMG]

Brake lines...

Probably seems weird to see brake lines on the OUTSIDE of the frame, but since the car is channeled and has really beefy rockers, it made way more sense to run them outside then to try and wiggle them inside with everything going on under the floors. Fuel lines will also be run outside.

Standard coated steel lines with stainless steel tabs.

[​IMG]

I also wanted to keep the rear axle completely free of brake lines, so there are flex hoses at each wheel. I tucked the tee fitting up under the frame rail away from the exhaust, suspension, and will also be protected by the storage compartment in the rear of the body, once it's installed.

[​IMG]

After the tee fitting the line runs in front of the rear Model A crossmember, just above the lip, around the battery tray, and swooping up to the hose fitting and mount.

[​IMG]

Wish never took a good shot of the line running over the crossmember, for some reason. I'm definitely rusty on my picture taking lately. Guess I'm out of practice.

So with that, I guess the chassis is pretty well ready to accept a body again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Touch down!

[​IMG]

And back on the floor. Always feels so good to see it with the body back where it belongs.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I rolled it out in the driveway to stand back and look at it again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know the worst is still yet to come, since I really don't LOVE finish work at all, but at least it's starting to look like a car again.

Next up, I'll put some leather welting between the body and frame so it doesn't squeak, then tighten all the mounting bolts and check door alignment to make sure nothing has moved, through all of this. As long as all is well, then time to finish up some body work. I still need to strip and prep all the garnish moldings, media blast the window regulators and a few misc parts, and then go to work on the details. LOTS of little things left before I can start final paint.

All I have for now. Nothing you haven't seen 17 other times, but at least it's still going after almost 10 YEARS!!! :gasp:

brEad, Stogy, Tuck and 6 others like this.
  7. @scootermcrad Good to see Scott. I need to get back on mine, kitchen reno is almost done and then I will hit it. We will see who finishes first. :rolleyes: Like watching a turtle race.:oops:

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the update photos Scott, good to see you back making progress on it. Bob

9. Yay!

The scootie-tang content in my blood was getting low, and when that happens...I get mean! ;)

Good to see some more forward progress!

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Race you to LSRU 2016? ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scooter\'s.jpg

What is this one shock rear suspension setup? Some kind of trick NASCAR/HaasF1/Tony Stewart shit?

Seriously happy to see this moving to a conclusion. Scooter\'s.jpg

vic

Attached Files:

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys! Feels super good to have something more done. The little stuff is KILLING ME!

HAHAHAHAHAHA! It's top secret! ;) I was wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned the one shock. I found the other one in a box the other day. I need to pull all of them off and paint them. They have the original paint on them and aren't looking too hot. Another thing on the list. :mad:

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! You'll win!

14. hasty

hasty

Any progress during the past six months? - Such an inventive (and beautiful) build it deserves to be on the road

Hansa1100 likes this.
  15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey bud!

YES! A little bit of progress. I've been trying to wrap up the interior paint on the "cab". I painted the entire interior of the car in a homemade paint booth, then put it away. Came back out the next day and realized with the lack of lighting during the paint process that I had missed 3 or 4 spots. GAH! The weather has been crap ever since, so I haven't been able to get back out and do the touch ups. As soon as I finish the touch-ups, I'll post some pics.

I'll say this. Painting the inside of this car was a monster pain in the butt!! Was like trying to paint the inside of jungle gym with all the tight spots. MORE SOON!

K13 likes this.
  16. hasty

hasty

Thanks!
    Look forward to seeing the pictures.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

New Progress Photos, great way to start the new year! Happy New Year! Bob

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Are ya working on it ?

Thor1, Hansa1100 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. hasty

hasty

So, those promised pictures? ... (your post 75)
    Nice car - deserves to be on the road (sorry to hassle you!)

Hansa1100 likes this.
  20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gah. Sorry guys. Life happened again. I'll spare you the excuses. After 10 years there just really aren't any.

As for an update. I painted the inside and was getting everything ready for final paint and I just couldn't make it happen (leaving out the excuse). The parts are being stored in a room that now has to get a new complete roof so everything will be going back on the car until I can pull it all apart again and get back on paint prep. It's pretty depressing really, but it will be nice to see the car completely assembled again.

I'm proud of myself for not simply giving up, at this point. I've come very close on several occasions.

Sorry no real updates. I'll at least post something soon when the car is back together. I'm surprised anyone even remembers this build, at this point. :eek: Thanks!

21. Hang in there, Scott!

22. I feel your pain Scott I am in the same boat. One day one of us will finish our project.o_O:D

23. The day is coming Scooter!! And what a glorious day it will be!

24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brett,

Are you talking about Scott getting his car done or something else entirely?;)

brett4christ and Tim like this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I had been hoping that this build would not be added to the long list of never completed projects.
    Hang in there Scott you will get it done.

26. Hey Scott, you planning to debut at the Old North State Invitational?

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great to hear from you Scooter! Hope to have my Steelback side by side with your Murray some day. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What year? :(

brett4christ and D-Russ like this.
  29. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

This project is the reason I joined the HAMB... Seeing it finished is now on my bucket list! :cool:

brEad and sonic03bluegt like this.
  30. 50Fraud

50Fraud