Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Body Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Jul 24, 2016.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Now that I'm semi retired and no longer have any employees I'm checking to see what methods guy use to remove bodies. I'm doing a 32 5 window and need to remove the body from the frame. I've got a really nice body so don't want to screw it up. In the past I've always taken my cars to a shop for the heavy lifting and paint but thinking of doing this one myself? I've seen engine hoists used but don't know if their heavy duty enough?

2. flatford39

flatford39

An engine hoist is your best buddy. Has no opinions and won't drink your beer. Go for it.

deadbeat, Flathead Dave and Hnstray like this.
  3. F&J

F&J

I don't have pics, but I lifted many chevy truck cabs with doors and glass, seats, from 1960 to 1980 style with the old engine crane. (they are quite heavy)

the crane beam goes into the interior, through the side window... the forward center is where those balance. You can add ballast to level different types of bodies.

I put a plank through the window openings, across. Then I have a added 1/2" plate standing up, welded to the top/tip of the beam. (that orig'y was added for a keyhole for a chain anchor, but works for this:...) That plate digs into the plank and does not slip....the cab is just dangling. It feels sketchy at first, when you bump the cab, but I have moved cabs all around the shop like that.

Where you plank it, you don't want the plank to crush those roof parts, so I use thick upholstery foam, rolled plush carpet, or whatever will cushion it.

EDIT: The plank sits on top of the tip of the boom, and the boom pushes the plank up. No ropes or straps on closed car body

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  4. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I used an engine hoist and removed the doors and put it inside the body. I then rigged up some tie downs at all 4 corners and lifted it off. piece of cake.

5. This same question was answered over on the Fordbarn. Several answers there.

6. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Camper jacks (one on either side with a beam of some sort spanning the gap).

Barn Find and stillrunners like this.
  7. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Call up 5 of your best friends or build yourself a gantry crane. In that order. :)

8. I remember a 32 five window wasn't that heavy when I was 26. I think they weigh a ton nowadays...:confused:

clem likes this.
  9. Combination of floor jacks and engine hoist,then I got the body high enough then removed the wheels and slid the frame out.

I did this alone. HRP

Mvc387s-vi.jpg Mvc388s-vi.jpg

10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have both the overhead chain hoist and a engine hoist so I just attach slings at the front and rear body mount areas and lift from both ends and roll the frame out from the chain hoist end. But most guys don't have both. The engine hoist through the door openings works but I would still want a couple pre beer friends on hand to help balance it cause if it gets off balance, it is gone!! Do not ask how I know. lol And now you know why I have both! good luck Larry

11. I used two come-a-longs hung from the rafters when I removed/installed the body on my '40. Built a frame that attached to the hood hinge mount points on the firewall for the front and dropped a sling through the rear window opening to a 2X4 under the package shelf for the back... no sweat.

12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I used and engine hoist, with a 4x4 under the window tops. Pretty good balance with the 4x4 towards the back of the window.

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I highly recommend this lift for safety and easily remove the body with no damage . I have been using one for years and a buddy turned me onto one. You can find them for 500 bucks and you'll replace the engine hoist as well

Attached Files:

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I removed my 40 Tudor body the same as HRP did. By myself.

15. cretin

cretin

An engine hoist will be strong enough. I recently used a harbor freight engine hoist to move a Mill and a Lathe, no problem. A '32 body is a fraction of that weight.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Congrats on your partial retirement. You could raise the body an inch at a time and put supports under it as you go. Young and foolish and didn't have any help. Lucky we survived.

Attached Files:

17. Do you have young strong sons, sons-in-law, or grandsons?

18. Saw a 5w body lifted with wooden cross. Short end out the windshield opening. Right to left out the door opening. Long end out the back window. Centered the lift point and lifted using over head chain hoist.

19. Hgdoo

Hgdoo

image.jpeg Bronco is not HAMB friendly, 2 Harbor Frieght chain hoists from rafters works good if you
    got the ceiling height

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cherry picker & beam works great!
    [​IMG]

scrap metal 48 and F&J like this.
  21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

With my engine hoist and a bit of time I can move anything. When nobody shows up to help in the garage you and it will become best friends.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cheat. I bought this rotary lift 10 years ago and it is by far the best money I have ever spent. I work alone in my garage and this thing allows me to the job of several people.
    upload_2016-7-25_10-28-10.png

23. Big shop but no insulation? I bet it's toasty inside. HRP

[​IMG]

24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Here is how I did mine. Shop was a mess but I got it done. Note the lift brace I used across the cowl. 100_9440.JPG 100_9432.JPG 100_9430.JPG

warbird1 likes this.
  25. I usually wrap them up in a sheet, stuff them in the trunk, weigh them down with cinder blocks and dump them in the bay. :eek:

Sent from my prison cell using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    56don and lewk like this.
  26. I've done all the above.
    One day I had a few rounds of musical frames and bodies to swap around-So I broke down and bought a gantry crane.
    Easiest body lift adventure ever, super safe and almost a non issue no brainier. It's one of those things that you wonder why you've went so long without.

Almost bit the big one jockeying a finished 85 c10 cab with an engine hoist, scary day.

27. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

My son and I picked up the Model A body and just walked it back. Also used Engine hoist and pickup in middle of car as shown earlier. 32 cannot be much heavier then our body.

28. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

On my 32 5W I used 2 chain pulls hung from an I-beam and wrapped around the B pillar. With firewall on the frame and the trunk lid off it balanced very well. My 6 year old helped lower the body on the frame for the last time using using that method.

29. If you've got the time to build one of these, you'll probably find plenty of use for it. A frame & body hamb.jpg

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I seperated the body/frame on my 66 Suburban (by myself) I used a pair of those cheezy trailer tongue jacks that I made mounting plates for on the front cowl sides as the front sheetmetal had already been removed along with both front and rear suspension and drivetrain.
    I was able to get it close to height by "inching" and "inching" and "inching" it up with floor jacks and using every jackstand and big timbers I had.
    In the rear I built a framework with Heavy Duty wheelbarrow wheels, dropped the bare chassis down and rolled the body out over it.
    It's been quite a few years so I can't recall every step, but it was a white knuckle affair before it was done. I didn't get photos but I have a vivid memory of the "pucker factor".