Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. B and C altereds, or funny cars in the mid 60's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tell me these weren't "real race cars"!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nope. NHRA segregated automatics in gas classes for a couple of years or so, too lazy to look up when.

4. X class 4 bangers were cool! Tried to star a thread, few takers and pics are very hard to find. Most people don't know X dragsters existed!

thehazguy likes this.
  5. old flopper

old flopper

They were and real stable on high end too!... :rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  6. Just as stable as gassers and altereds were at the time! Not to mention very short dragsters.
    Not engaging in arguing here, just my opinion, my last word.
    Or maybe some of you have forgotten.

7. I LOVE Nitro fx cars.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  8. thehazguy

thehazguy

9. thehazguy

thehazguy

10. thehazguy

thehazguy

11. Another X/Dragster!

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Love to see all the great photo's of the cars with great names on them from the good old day's of drag racing.

Jimbo

thehazguy, Gary Reynolds and loudbang like this.
  13. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    You want X/D's Gary? Here is one from the other side of the planet. Don Sawtell's 1600cc Hillman powered car seen here at Castlereagh (Sydney). This is the original version with the straight pipes and SU carburettors. Later it was punched out to over 2000 cc and had side draft Webers and a collector style header.
    Incidentally the car in the background is Ron Early's blown Y block Ford. Ron is still racing and his current ride is the former Brendan Murry Stirling that ran NT/F on this side of the Pacific but is now powered by a blown small block on alky.
    [​IMG]
    Don's older son John is seen at the wheel here. This car was built in an open front, dirt floor shed in Don's back yard. Gas welded mild steel, sand packed and heat bent where needed and painted (Apricot 'flake) in that same open front shed.

Roo

14. loudbang

loudbang

One of the strangest but most fondly remembered Ford drag cars was the swoopy Super Mustang dragster. This “off the books” and expensive Ford effort was shoehorned into its plans while taking a break in 1967 to pursue the Cobra Jet program. With a Logghe chassis running a Ford SOHC and a Ford-designed streamlined body that was wind-tunnel tested, it made its spectacular debut at the ’67 Winternationals. With an incredibly tight cockpit and a bubble canopy that squashed driver Tom McEwen’s head, it was an uncomfortable ride at best. Times were never good, running mid 8s at 180 mph at a time when dragsters were running in the low 7s in the 220-mph range. Showing up at only a couple more events, the dragster was never really sorted out and was unceremoniously parked for decades

ford-super-mustang-dragster see email.jpg

Embryonic Funny Cars are seen in these two “Factory Experimental” Mercury Comets of Jack Chrisman and Dyno Don Nicholson, debuting at the ’64 NHRA Winternationals. When Chrisman dumped a blown, injected, nitro-burning SOHC in this Comet for the Nationals, it became a car looking for a class, running against dragsters as it no longer fit into any stock-car class. With that, the Funny Car was born. Both Chrisman and Nicholson were instrumental in the development of Mercury’s Funny Cars for years.

mercury-comet-embryonic-funny-car AFX see email.jpg

The Jim Costilow non-Dragonsnake Cobra was piloted by Bruce Larson of USA-1 fame at the ’64 Winternationals. This was a used ’63 that was taken to Larson to prep for drag racing by Costilow. The metalflake purple Cobra set a ton of records and won a number of national events in the ’64-’66 seasons in various Sports Production (SP) classes. In May 2006, this car sold at auction for more than $1.6 million.

Note both cars have "T" windshield stickers

See email cobra.jpg

15. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are brake levers and then there are BRAKE LEVERS...

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is a shot of my old friend Ron Gorans Streamliner, mentioned in the caption. Gorans streamliner.jpg

18. The NHRA had automatic sub classes in A, B & C in 60, 61 & 62 by 63 they could see that they were no longer needed.

Bill

loudbang and Gary Reynolds like this.
  19. Ade Knyff and Bernie Regels A & B Speed from Somerville, Mass. I loved looking at this car in the pits at Sanford, Maine. image.jpeg

20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

At Dover! One of my favorite along with the Logge & Steffe (sp)

Pat

Attached Files:

loudbang and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. What a monster! Anyone know this powerplant?
    [​IMG]

Dean Lowe likes this.
  23. M/T's 4 cylinder Tempest
    [​IMG]

Dean Lowe, Gabe Fernando and loudbang like this.