Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kustoms blues? I need to see some kustoms....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

6. 'Mo

'Mo

Jack Peed's (Chesapeake, Va.) Chevy is another great custom that has been around since the little pages.
    Sonny Daout had a big hand in its build, and Jack owned it for half of forever, mostly in black.
    (Photo is in its initial green phase.)

[​IMG]

Long gone are the Buick Nailhead and Packard trans, but the car is now looking better than ever, under new ownership by Gary Minor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Stebo27, 1947knuck, drdave and 6 others like this.
  7. Jack Peed was in this car at the '83 Leadsled wearing it's gorgeous black paint. He was interviewed by one of Rowdie's gals.
    On video, the car looks like liquid licorice when it cruises by the camera. One straight car.
    Glad to see she's in good hands! E

JackPeedChevy7-vi.jpg

Stebo27, 1947knuck, drdave and 6 others like this.
  8. Wow Sancho. I never think about the possibility of owning a car like this--especially with a "famous pedigree". C'mon lotto...........(lol)! E

9. Hope you have better luck than I do!

OG lil E likes this.
  10. Karrera

Karrera

upload_2016-7-14_19-14-10.jpeg

upload_2016-7-14_19-14-33.jpeg

upload_2016-7-14_19-20-47.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  11. 'Mo

'Mo

Well, just get 350 of your closest friends to contribute $100 per, and it's yours! ( Joint ownership.) No brainer!:D

12. And everyone gets it one day of the year.

'Mo and OG lil E like this.
  13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

14. ^ Interesting taillight treatment on that C10.

OG lil E likes this.
  15. waylow64bird

waylow64bird
    from Buffalo MN

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool concept drawing, thanks for posting the pic...

waylow64bird likes this.
  17. waylow64bird

waylow64bird
    from Buffalo MN

18. 'Mo

'Mo

Though I'm not a big fan of El Capitola's design, I find it notable that the roof crown (white section) has been recessed 1/2" into the top, by hammering. (Zoom.) This metal craftsmanship is mind blowing!:eek:

Incidentally, this was a "post" car that has been "hard-topped."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Stebo27, 1947knuck, drdave and 5 others like this.
  19. Was this car ever known as the Street Sneaker??

Attached Files:

drdave, straykatkustoms and OG lil E like this.
  20. No Manny, that is the "Hint of Mint". The Jetter's had another '57 they built that was the "Street Sneaker". E

MannyK likes this.
  21. Dug around a bit and found a pic,, Very similar taillight treatment

Attached Files:

drdave and OG lil E like this.
  22. Found one. Remember, not HAMB friendly. Let's play nice..........E

Image-L.jpg

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was not a fan at all until I saw the article in Kustoms Illustrated. Luke did a great job with the article and I fell in love with it. Thanks for posting the pic, it really shows off the recessed top.

'Mo likes this.
  24. The Hint of Mint 57 and the rear shot of the Street Sneaker are the same car, but the grey 57 with the front air dam is neither one of those. Roger and Dan found the Hint of Mint in very poor condition and restored it. It also did have a hint of an air dam when they redid it, but not the same as the grey one above. They just recently sold it.

As a side note, if I remember right, the Hint of Mint is the same 57 that AMT styled their custom front and rear end treatments for the 1/25 kit after.

MannyK and OG lil E like this.
  25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Dr Dave is correct Manny K...when I first rebuilt the radical '57 and put it in primer, I named it 'Street Sneaker and hung a set of pink sneaker out of the trunk.. When the car was painted Mint Green, I changed the name to "Hint of Mint II", since it was originally named Hint of Mint. That was about the time my gray '57, shown above, was completed and I liked the name, so it became "Street Sneaker."

Dr. Dave is also correct about AMT styling a model kit after the car...NOW, to make the AMT story just a bit more interesting, AMT ripped off my "Z" graphic design on the sides of the gray car (above) and included it in one of their '57 model kits. I had an attorney send a formal letter to them stating that it was my "intellectual" design and if they continued to use it, I'd sue. Of course, they responded and said "go ahead." I found out the suit had to be filed in the state they did business in and it would have cost me a bunch, so I didn't pursue it farther and decided "imitation is the greatest form of flattery...!!!" Thanx for the flattery AMT...!!!

R-

MannyK, drdave and OG lil E like this.
  26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW its to the point where all I do is drool over all the Kool Kustoms that are posted on here . I don't have time to click the like tab . There are a few I think the Lacquer fumes must have got to the builder . Thank you everyone for your posts. Not only is history being shared but inspiration and reference for new builders is being passed on.

rodncustomdreams, OG lil E and drdave like this.
  27. Thanks for the info guys,, had no idea you owned the car, 40StudeDude,, big fan of the Chevy and your Cadillac

OG lil E likes this.
  28. I turned 10 in '55, which is about the time my appreciation for car design appeared. It was a great time to come of age. My grandfolks had a drug store with a magazine stand, and they mailed me ALL the car mags each month. I would read them for hours at a time. Back then, the purpose of building a custom car was to make improvements on its styling. And most of the pro's at that time did just that.

But as the 60's wore on, things changed. Customizing didn't necessarily improve a car's looks; it was all about getting attention. The more radical and garish the car's looks, the more press it got. That's when I strayed away from customs and became more interested in Hot Rods, but they soon followed the same path.

But now that I've found the HAMB, all is well again! :D