Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 Poly dragster engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dolmetsch, Jul 21, 2012.

1. 35desoto

35desoto

Andrew wouldn't know how to do an intro - he's too busy showing guys how to paint!!
    Welcome aboard Andrew and how's that 61 of yours?

2. Way late getting to this thread.
    Now I know why my mom's 57 DeSoto wagon could hold it's own against a lot of the stuff in the high school parking lot.
    Motor made power down low like a John Deere! And...Took an incredible amount of abuse from my sister and me....

3. Where are you now Don, with this 318 poly build?
    I'm starting a Poly build with my 64 D200 motor.
    Not sure whether to go steel crank +60 or,
    360 Cast crank 4inch bore...etc...
    Cheers and Happy New Year from John.

4. Hi Don,
    Are you still doing Poly stuff?
    Cheers from John

5. George

George

On the crank the cut down 360 works if you have a '62 & up block. If not mentioned earlier Moparmarket.com is an Aussie site with info on doing the 360 crank into a 318.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

You could build a 392 based poly with 301 heads most people wouldn't know.

7. George

George

A 392 Poly with 354 Poly heads....

8. 73RR

73RR

....careful..... not everyone knows about the 301 Spitfire and might be confused by the Plymouth 301......

As for the A series Poly, as George notes, the crank swap is only practical with the 62-up block.
    If you need specific details on the A series Poly then here is a starting point: http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318.html

9. BabylonBob

BabylonBob
    from Babylon

I'm in the process of building a 57 Plymouth 318 highway patrol engine. The block has a 60 overbore. Getting high performance pistons was a tough nut to crack. I wanted forged pistons that would provide a quick and clean flame front. Working with Randy Gillis of RaceTec Pistons, the final outcome were the infamous 318 dome piston developed in 57 by the Plymouth Race Team for NASCAR. We were both pretty shocked when the computer spit out a dome piston as the best piston for peak efficiency and powewr. RaceTec provided me a set - and put my name on them. Since I'm basically building the engine to 57 Fury specifications, I got the 9.25:1 CR.

Attached Files:

10. cavisco

cavisco

Those look like nice pistons BabylonBob. Is there a part number for those? Can I ask what was the price? There is a very active Poly group over on Yahoo groups and I'm sure this would generate some interest.

11. BabylonBob

BabylonBob
    from Babylon

The numbers on the bottom of one pin boss are 1013858 and 18544 plus the casting number is A3818F. and my quoted cost in the beginning was $754 but I got a discount for helping out. When I checked the valve to piston clearance the intake valve landed dead center in the valve pocket. Just perfect workmanship.

Attached Files:

12. Very nice Babylon BoB!

Are there any more piston sets available?
    I was thinking a stroker build but this may be easier...

Best wishes from John