Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Divco milk truck 6 lug

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flappnfenders, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Flappnfenders

Flappnfenders
    from carrollton

I have 17 in 2 piece divco milk truck wheels that are 6 lug. I'm wanting to use I-beam axle for a suspension. I need to know what I can use hub for a set of spindles

2. Most Chevy sedans (pre- '49?) were 6 lug, many pick-ups are 6 as well. I have found that all the 6-lug stuff I have looked at had the same stud pattern, only varied in offset.

3. ironrodder likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd measure the bolt hole spacing to see what I had first. I drug home a set of 17 inch six lug wire wheels a few years ago and then found out that they have a much larger than chevy bolt

If they fit the Chevy bolt pattern I'd just look for a 51/54 Chevy pickup front axle that had Bendix brakes and go from there.

5. F&J

F&J

You said 2 piece Divco wheels.
    If these are what wheels you have?:
    [​IMG]

If yes, look at the massive offset with maximum backspacing. These won't fit a I beam, hubs and spindles that were made for conventional wheel offsets.

They will fit in too deep and hit the steering arms, etc. And if you think spacers will work, they would need to be 4 or 5 inches?? That will be way too much stress on a normal spindle and bearings...as well as thin king pins, small tie rods and ends

Look at the front bearing cap on this truck. That huge cover indicates a massive spindle snout and huge bearings.

Or, just give it a try and find out what "layin' frame hard" means

73RR likes this.
  6. post a picture of your wheels

there are a few styles

7. If you are talking about these high clearance wheels or accessory wheels. Two ways to do it, have 16" Ford 5 stud wheel flange welded in the hub area. The other way is to try and get a blank Ford hub & drill them to 6 stud.

Not directed at anyone but in general I wish people would stop calling them Divco wheels.

Attached Files:

8. I have a Divco front axle, if interested... Includes wheels and suspension. I have the steering, engine/trans. It was in a standup truck, one designed to be driven while standing up. Had one peddle for the clutch and the brake. Trans has an offset shifter, also. The shifter lever only moved forward and back. Has some other mechanism to move this selector from the 1-2 position to the 3-4 or Reverse.

It has been converted into a doodlebug, homemade tractor. This one has 2 4-sp transmissions and a heavy ford truck rearend.

I used to take it to tractor shows and drive it in the parades, but quite because it was so heavy, about 3500 pounds.

9. F&J

F&J

He said "two piece", so I think it must be a lock-ring type, and I know I've never seen "high clearance" 2 pc wheels for cars and light trucks from Ford or Mopar.

Back to what I posted about Divco needing heavy duty front end parts: Even though the Divco had a beefy front end to handle the GVW, the wheels themselves are very heavy, and the weight alone must be
    considered when planning to use them on another front end design.

Jimmy B likes this.
  10. Ive got a 1ton 65 ford that has the 6 lug split rims its a big pattern heavy wheel. It will not fit the chevy 6 lug hubs. Ive got a 17 inch spoke wheel that has 7 lug holes. I think it was a REO?

11. These below are 17" 6 stud split rim they are the same centres as the Ford and Chev 18" minus the dimple for the valve stem. The centre will fit in a '32 18" rim, I just need to find some
    [​IMG]

My dads 3/4 ton '40 Chev. Holden body. Wheels were original equipment. This was Australian WW2 military vehicle.
    DSCF3939.JPG

12. I'm using 1960 Ford F-350 wheels, which are 6-lug, 3-3/4-inch radii, 17-1/2-inch and have an old-style appearance. The 1960 Ford I-beam that they came off of is sturdy and should be just what you're looking for, although I'm using a 1929 Ford AA I-beam for my applications. These 17-1/2 inch wheels are single-piece, not split-rim "widow makers."

13. Flappnfenders

Flappnfenders
    from carrollton

I'll get a pic tonight

14. You'll be lucky to find anybody willing to mount tires on those old split rims. They were called widowmakers for a reason. Knew one guy who was critically injured by one and almost died, knew another guy whose father was decapitated by one.