Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chopped top and stock trim? Got Pictures?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59IMPALER, Apr 15, 2016.

1. I chopped my '53 AFTER it was painted, didn't plan it that way, I just changed my vision mid-stream. I was able to save all the paint below the beltline, so all of the stock trim (emblems, handles, stainless), was still attached after the haircut. The Kustom Handbook says it would be better smoothed, but I ended up liking all the chrome against the black. Also, a lot of the original pieces are art to me. Has anybody else used this non traditional formula on your builds? DSC_0167 (2).JPG

2. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

no pictures for you, but the chop looks really nice.

3. Boatmark

Boatmark

I'd keep the trim, black looks its best (in my opinion) with the chrome to reflect.

If you like it, keep it. What others think, or what "tradition" is, isn't really relevant - it's your car. Do what makes you happy.

4. 504640

Sorry, no pictures either. I have seen earlier iron with a chop and virtually stock other wise except for stance and rolling stock. I have envisioned myself having a later car with a mild chop and stock trim. Just enough chop to make a person guess. Although your chop is more than subtle, the result is stunning. The retainment of the stock trim is refreshing. Just how much was cut, and are you still running a 6? Keep up the good work; your 210 is outstanding. That car did start as a sedan, rather than a coupe, didn't it?

5. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's probably a more common occurrence to be smoothed and chopped since people would have worked their way up to the chop by starting with nosing, decking, door handles etc. then finally taking the leap in to chopping.

Doesn't matter either way, as your car rocks with the look you gave it!

6. rattlesnakedaddy

rattlesnakedaddy

I like how it looks as is, nice classic. Then, I think most cars look better with a few inches taken off the top, not much else needed.

7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Yeah, that's sharp.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I like '53-'54 Chevrolets with something shiny on the side, stock, modified stock, or something tasteful off another car. Your '53 looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. It's a 210 2 dr sedan, with a '53 150 back window and 4" all the way around. I bought a no-drivetrain project, and I had a rebuilt '59 283 on a stand. Otherwise, a 235 would have been really cool. Thanks for all the kind words everybody!

504640 likes this.
  10. BlueLodgeMason

BlueLodgeMason

That thing looks awesome! I wish my '53 looked like that!

11. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Less is more. Nice job!

12. clem

clem

Black and chrome, - the best colour to paint a car. IMO
    Looks great as is.
    You could be starting a new trend.......

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  13. 504640

Here is a 46 Ford coupe. The front sheet metal and trim is as it came from the factory, with the exception of the grill indentions being red.

Attached Files:

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Both of these came from the HAMB a while ago. I thought they were neat and unusual: Chop 53Plymouth.jpg

Chop DeSoto.jpg

...and this one, while it has some trim removed, has a similar character because of its very conservative stance:
    54ChevHTchop.jpg

59IMPALER and 504640 like this.
  15. 504640

Good job Fraud! The Plymouth is awesome, with a great chop! The Desoto looks disproportionate, almost like it has been photoshopped. But what a great car and rare material to build from. The chop is a little to deep for practicality. The Belaire hardtop is the essence of practicality, in regards to it's stance. The car is definitely not overdone. I can't get enough of Moonglow clones, but this builder took effort not to have his car another Mooonglow clone. The absence of spots, lake pipes and skirts, and the deviation from blue or white, makes the Kustom unique and refreshing! I second your neat and unusual!

59IMPALER likes this.
  16. 504640

Here is one at the West Coast Custom's show, Santa Maria:
    SantaMaria201627LarryDavidson-vi.jpg

timmy2times and 50Fraud like this.