Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olio mattore

olio mattore

2. olio mattore

olio mattore

3. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gable.jpg
    I remember seeing Clark Gable's T-Bird up close several times. It had a McCulloch centrifugal supercharger on the engine. Clark was a "car guy" and enjoyed crusing Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake, which was near his home (ranch) in the SF valley...

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and Raiman1959 like this.
  4. garham

garham

Behind the Carl Simpson Buick and Opel Dealership on 1981BuickOpel.jpg , El Camino Real and Castro St, Mountain View, Ca. cars waiting to be sold but in a couple of years after this photo was taken it will be closed and the land sold. The little building at the lower left which stood for years at the corner of Castro St and High School Way was home to a auto part store, a used car lot operated next door was sandwiched between Simpson's and this little building.

loudbang likes this.
  5. garham

garham

Tire and service station on the corner of El Camino and Castro Street with big Mountain View gateway sign which was located across the street from Carl Simpson Buick and Opel. The sign was removed in the early 60's along with the garage in the same decade. CastroECR1.jpg CastroECR2.jpg CastroECR3.jpg

Trojan Horse and Raiman1959 like this.
  6. garham

garham

Across the El Camino Real at Castro St you will find Mancini Chrysler, Plymouth and DeSoto which has been posted before by others, most locals remember Ugo Mancini as a outstanding businessmen and neighbor. Mancini along with all the other car dealer left Mountain View for Sunnyvale for large locations on a much more modern El Camino Real.

This was corner was known to many as White City because of the bright white lights that lit the buildings you see in the photo.
    Mancini1.jpg

7. garham

garham

Another big car dealer that once called Mountain View home, Pearson's at 492 Castro Street operated at this located until it moved to Sunnyvale in the 60's along with Mancini's. Pearson.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  8. garham

garham

Downtown Mountain View in the mid 50's before the shopping centers and mall killed Castro Street. downtownmountainview.jpg

9. garham

garham

Mark Tuban Ford both Mountain View and Sunnyvale was the local Ford dealer since the mid 20's, in the early 80's he closed the Mountain View lot and kept the Sunnyvale lot open.

Left Sunnyvale.
    Right Mountain View.
    marktuban1.jpg

10. garham

garham

Moffett Drive In, 4 screens, a few years into the future this would become a walk in theatre called the Shoreline 10 and later 6 more would be adding. Next door to the drive in was a company called Arrow Development which at one time was the largest maker of steel coaster and thrill rides, they also made mini cars for parks and private buyers..

Most every thing in this photo has changed.
    moffett1985.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  11. garham

garham

Students at Mountain View Union Academy High School showing their cars, photos was sourced from a El Camino Real yearbook.
    mvahs1.jpg mvhsaud2.jpg mvhsaud3.jpg

loudbang, hotrd32 and Raiman1959 like this.
  12. garham

garham

School buses that served the students of Mountain View Union High School, ok I know I posted earlier a Mountain View Union Academy High School but it is not the same school. The first school bus is from the 20's and the second bus is from the 50's

mvhsbus1.jpg mvhsbus.jpg

13. garham

garham

A trade car from another great Mountain View car dealer. schaffner.jpg

loudbang and RichFox like this.
  14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The pictures of Mt. View really bring back memories. I worked at a Lyon Metals dealer on Mitalda Ave. between the Army and starting at UAL. Late '62 to early '65. Pearson Olds reminds me of Jay Cheatam. Runner up at the national Drags in '58 I think. Ernie Pereia was a engineer there and ran Marklies first tank with his GMC. I had my Bantam with the Dodge and life was wide open. There ws a long bell 331 Chrysler laying in the parking lot of United Technology's. They gave it to me to get it out of there. It later became an Algon injected 354 inch motor in a Studebaker Lark. Winfield ground my cam when he was in the city. Al Gonzales broached my pump drive for me at his shop in Oakland. Kent Fuller welded some of my linkage at his shop in Belmont. I was meeting some pretty cool guys.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    olpaul, gas pumper, garham and 2 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]

Pike's Peak.

63fdsnr and loudbang like this.
  16. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I live in the shadows of Pikes Peak, and I am constantly amazed at the old-time racers charging up that mtn full speed ...it's amazing!!!...compared with all the modern safety measures now...and it was a dirt road then! Total respect to the old days and what they had to work with...wow!

17. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

18. This photo from the Hudson Plant in Detroit taken during the Second World War shows a Hudson Invader 6 cylinder marine engine.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  19. Diesel engines for M4 Sherman tanks, Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant, Warren, Michigan, United States, circa 1944
    [​IMG]

Trojan Horse and dad-bud like this.
  20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I just discovered this vintage video of a different route up Pikes Peak. Very cool!

loudbang likes this.
  21. BornBuick

BornBuick

… Real nice post Barn Find. But did Chevy even have solid posi transaxles for 57 for their stock 3/4 to 1 ton 3100 series as this rig certainly appears to have ? Perhaps these guys used International axles under it to get up the hill, then switched back to stock GM axles for the non skid plate photo op at the end of the video. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.