Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP! Ford mechanical tachometer, need ID and more info on this!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dannerr, Apr 13, 2016.

1. I found this cool mechanical tachometer at a swap meet, and bought it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I'm in need of finding out more info. I have a lot of guesses on my own, but if you know this, or someone who does, I'd really appreciate it! :)

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

Hi, this color scheme and lines/layout is typical of Ford gauges from the mid 1930's and into the 1940's.

Being mechanical and given that the rpm range is limited implies that it is industrial/truck or tractor.

This may include stationary engines,
    Irregardless, the round shape and the lines and color scheme make me think mid to late 1930's but Ford re-used that round style speedo for years with only a hint of color changes...

But just as you have already figured out/thought,
    this is 50% speculation + 50% guesstimation + 50% Dick Tracy.

It may be of more help to determine what it is not...
    Being mechanical driven, it's obviously not car,
    Being 3000 rpm, it's obviously not truck or tonner...

Since you are in Europe, I wonder if this is Military/Tank/Or???

Sorry I couldn't be of further help......

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  3. All these thoughts, I have had too - except three things: I'm open to it being from the '50ies also (european Ford design might have been slower to update), I dont think, it's tractor (most tractor has other stuff in the one meter), and I cannot rule out it being from a car... yet! I was thinking a lot about the smaller european Ford cars (model Y, Popular, Prefect), or the early vans (f.ex. Thames), but google hasn't helped me yet.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The "42" stamped there could reasonably be a date. RPM range would be reasonable for a BB or a governed V8... if German in origin, both engines were in production into the 1950's. It might have arrived in Denmark accompanied by lots of people in grey uniforms...

Dannerr likes this.