Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Full-Fendered Side Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Great Job Guys, I love seeing Keith in action, I remember the days @ The Orchard when he was still doing his flatty powered 29 RPU, The Flip's 27, The beginnings of your Coupe to his days in his RR shop off of Todd RD.

I have pics of him doing a set of 32 rails with the reveals on both the inside and out that was going under a 32 sedan.
    Never got to see that one come to fruition.

That Keith could make a Sour Lemonade taste like Sweet Orange Juice and that takes time and talent to ripen that citrus up. Ryan, You've got the right brother working side by side with you and Keith has a great lady in Mary making sure that the Chow is not missed so you guys can keep that High Energy Field Motor-vating!!!!!

IDK if this was turned yet, but whoever ends up with it is going to have years of Kool Kruising ahead of him as this was meant to drive. Congrats, can't wait till the next one.

2. TimDavis

TimDavis

I also haven't seen any transmission shots with the plumbing for the Hyd. Throwout bearing.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry guys. Slammed getting ready for the round up... I'll try to get out there tomorrow.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Had a second, so I ran out there real quick. Keith is fabbing up a floor board at the moment, so good timing.

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

5. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So has a pic of this beauty been posted in the "Full Fenders Forever" thread yet?

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never a big Model A fan, but I'd make room in my garage for this one. Great build !

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What steering box is that? I'm glad I'm driving to Texas and can just look at the car it was hard narrowing down my list of questions to just one lol

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

note to self...slap Rand Man to sleep next time I see him for not using a Muncie

kidcampbell71, Moriarity and Baron like this.
  10. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Sounds like a lot of you guys are friends and meet up at events. i don't know anyone and i wouldn't know Rand Man if i fell over him but if i did I'd be begging him for a ride.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Late, frustrating night last night... Progress was mounting and then, for the third car in row, brand new wheel cylinders from Macs leaked like mad...

126.jpg

127.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

Do your wheel cylinders have the dreaded "crooked port" disease? Need to make sure the shoes are adjusted all the way out to the drums before putting fluid to them. The old fashioned internal springs in the cylinders help too, if you can find some.

13. OMG NOT AN SBC!!!!!!!!!!! ANYTHING BUT AN SBC!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    Sorry I just wanted to be one of the cool guys. :D
    Sounds good, and it couldn't have landed in a nicer coupe. Just took a quick scroll and that one is tits my friend. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    volvobrynk and Just Gary like this.
  14. You're real world cool beaner. You'll never be internet cool. ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Just Gary likes this.
  15. LOL I am also a dork in the real world, but I am just me. :confused:o_O:p:D

57 Fargo, enloe and Just Gary like this.
  16. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'll take the heat on using transmission technology that's only 30 years old. The first thing I'm going to do with this car is enjoy an almost 600 mile drive home. Overdrive is here. Get used to it. I live on a very hilly-curvy road. I like having lots of gear choices to find that sweet spot at every point along the way. I walked the line on the engine. Please don't harsh me on the trans man.

volvobrynk, Just Gary, D.Lee and 2 others like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Crazy story about the transmission... So I had a WC T5 tranny bought about three weeks ago. A week goes by and no tranny, so I call the guy. Turns out he had a heart attack... Damn the luck. So I find another, pay up and wait another week... then, I call wondering where my tranny is.

Guess what? This dude had a heart attack too...

I guess rebuilding T5 trannies is stressful as all hell.

Anyway, Lee Pratt calls and he has one on hand. So we are all set... The morning I was gonna go pick it up, UPS shows up with a T5 from the second heart attack victim.

kiwijeff, volvobrynk, v8paul and 4 others like this.
  18. louisb

louisb

Note to self: Don't sell transmissions to Ryan.

If someone climbs under the car and complains about the transmission just kick them in the arse while they are down there.

--louis

kiwijeff, volvobrynk, v8paul and 8 others like this.
  19. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Kiss it chumps

Ref Rand's t5 response

20. Nice video. I like to see the management working, however the lunch break at the end seems to be quite long.;)

21. I did a lot of reading on the brake cylinder problem over the years and a lot of searching. I ended up ordering Raybestos wheel cylinders thru rockauto and have had no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

-Brent- likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The plan all along was to have this thing running and driving for the round up without doing some kind of a hurried thrash. Keith and I just don't really believe in thrashing on a car... Sure it can be fun if it's a private car for yourself, but if it's a customer's car it just seems kind of irresponsible.... or, at the very least, a plot for a reality show... I hate reality TV.

Anyway, this plan was going swimmingly until last night. Keith was buttoning up the car, getting her full of fluid, etc... He fired it to warm up the motor and tune the carbs when he noticed some oil on the ground in front of the car. Further investigation shows what appears to be either a bad front main seal or a bad seal at the front of the oil pan. Whatever the case, the motor has to come out for a proper fix...

So, rather than thrash we've decided to leave the car at the shop this weekend. Shit happens...

Mattsbidnuz and AHotRod like this.
  23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

That's just the "Active Undercoating" dealer-installed option

raven likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There were two different thickness front oil pan seals for sbc.
    But I would think oil would be pouring out with the thinner one.

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

Nothing more vintage than a total loss oiling system.

26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

It is a Model A after all...

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Bummer aside... We did roll it out this morning...

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

28. Perfect stance! How much recess is in the firewall?

29. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Just very nice ;)

30. I am quickly becoming a believer that everything should be fired up on a test stand.
    That's a bummer, but that car is awesome.
    Great job!

volvobrynk likes this.