Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Right? I might hang the main on my wall just for the optical illusion haha.

I think it will kinda look like a 1948 ish hotrod with a later rake and additude. If it doesn't feel aggressive when you look at it parked it's just an old car in my head. That make sense?

2. I believe you will have issues with the f100 brakes and the wire wheels. Other than that. Looks great. I love the plan.

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Hitchhiker I've got it covered.

My wife, Beaner, any one within ear shot and anyone that owns any relatable items had to listen to me drone on and obsess over it for about 6 weeks. Lol.

I'll cover what I end up with when I get there... But thanks for the intended heads up :)

Hitchhiker likes this.
  4. mike bowling

mike bowling

Mr. Ron Brown's Tudor- poetry in motion!

onekoolkat1950 and Tim like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Isn't it! Very cool :)

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well I headed over to Beaners today to take a look at his rear spring in the sedan.
    image.jpeg Well, they're just as funky as mine. Hard to see it even in person but if there better it's not enough that it would be worth pulling it out of
    The car to take apart.

My original plan was to mix some grafit and oil into a paste to put between the leaves like stock but now I think I'm going to use some Teflon strips.

I'll knock down the gouges the best I can and the strips should take care of
    The rest. I wanted to avoid using
    The strips because it can change the ride height of a given spring pack but right now it looks like the best option for my situation.

It'll ride better anyways and given the variety of spring sag I'll probably have to fine tune it after its in the car anyways so it's realistically not that much more effort or money involved.

Upside I did leave his garage with these cool 39 Plymouth lenses. They are just a touch beefier than a 38 ford tear drop but about the same size.

Not 100% sure if I want to run them but they look cool in my head so they'll at least get mocked up and stared at for a couple months before I change my
    Mind.

image.jpeg

n847 likes this.
  7. flatout51

flatout51

That is correct. 5.00x16 ribbed Firestones in front 7.50x16s in the rear. Looking forward to seeing this come together Timm!

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I've been meaning to ask @flatout51 do you like the ribbed fronts better than the old ones now that youve driven it more?

9. flatout51

flatout51

Considerably more. They handle and ride great! And they are the perfect size.

Tim likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Any dirt road/ rain travel yet? I love how they look but want to make sure I have the best option for cutting down country/ county/ un paved roads.

11. I've driven the ribbed front a fair amount in the rain. Not as much as the regular firestones, but I notice no difference.

Tim likes this.
  12. Also kinda figured you had the brakes covered, by how detailed and researched the rest of your build seems.

Tim likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks @Hitchhiker ! I've always liked the tread pattern of the ribbed tires just wasnt sure how they'd do in every day weather etc

14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

A good product for your springs is( Slip Plate Paint ) NAPA has is...its graphite paint in a spray can

Kan Kustom, Atwater Mike and Tim like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks, I'd never heard of that before.

16. The raven drove the hell out of the rib rubber on the roadster. He didn't get his directly from Coker and they were a little hard to balance. I have talked bought them both way from Coker and from other suppliers and they said that there was world of difference in the two. Just an observation, not a scientific study.

I never heard of it before either. I may give it a try. one of the things that kills us on our buggy sprung cars is that the springs don't slide. Compound that with a light car and it makes for a pretty rough ride.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. verde742

verde742

What about lathering each spring with "never-seize" anybody, thoughts?

18. @verde742
    We actually have some of the graphite infused grease that the rail road uses ( I got a never ending supply now) but it dries out and would be something that you would have to do over and over I think. But it is an idea. I use it on peddle assemblies and floating calipers.

That said I wonder if the paint would be any more durable. Both of our As are going to be drivers, as in I have to go someplace today drivers.

Tim likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I was thinking about "round" tires lately and dealing with manufacturer vs retailer.

Manufacture I may get more of a round tire, retailer I might have an easier time if I need to return or exchange them.

6 of one half a dozen of the other. Either way does anyone know a guy near Kansas City that shaves tires? I've heard of people rounding them out that way.

I recently saw someone with the car on jack stands- fender less car- and with the tire rolling just skimmed the tire road surface with an angle Grinder with some sort of scotch bright pad looking disc on it trying to get it round.

Figure it's good info to have knowing that these tires aren't always round and shipping stuff back and forth typically
    Is less than fun.

20. Your best bet on getting a tire shaved is to look at big truck shops. As bias ply tires go away tire shaving is getting hard to find. I know that there used to be a place in Springfield right off of I-44 but there ought to be a place closer.

I sometimes wonder if some of the vintage tire producers don't sell their seconds to outside vendors. When you can buy a tire as much as 1/3 cheaper from the vendor than from the supplier there has to be a reason.

Tim likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well turns out he was doing it for some cosmetic reason~ show car~ but I have seen people shave tires to round them.

Took a screen shot of the video anyways.....
    image.jpeg
    The tire moved/spun from the tool rotation I think.

Seems like it'd make a nice mess this way, normally I see more in the way of ribbons shaved off when rounding them out.

Wonder if a semi/ tractor trailer tire place would do that sort of thing? Seems like something you'd find there

22. Look at my last post. :D

A regular tire shaver is just a big lathe, I have seen them done two ways ground and cut. I think it depends on the machine manufacturer.

Tim likes this.
  23. flatout51

flatout51

I've been told Goodyear on Front street shaves them. Well big truck so that may be able to do passenger tires. I for one have never had a "round" issue from coker

porknbeaner and Tim like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Both good to hear, did you get your rubber right from Coker?

25. verde742

verde742

I had my radial T/A 's shaved in the 70's. Really fun to watch my brand new tires stream off,
    hitting the ceiling. Suddenly I had very little tread, and owner of tire shop said I owed him money.

I said "so sue me" while he ran along side of my lowered two drive Blazer, I left. Never ever heard a thing. Another tire shop Got a new T/A, and when it wouldn't balance, tech moved it on the 10x15 mag around till it did. Told me ALL tires have a heavy and light side, just like wheels.. No MORE shaving in my life 'cept face.

26. flatout51

flatout51

Yes sir

27. flatout51

flatout51

I think the main issue is a lot of people have no clue what they are doing and expect Bias Plys on 60 yr old wheels on a car with solid axles front and rear and buggy springs to ride and handle like a new Lincoln. Not going to happen.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Maybe like a new Chevy truck haha

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg Thought I'd post a photo of the 39 Plymouth lenses next to a 46 ford.

Though the Plymouth shape makes me think of fatter Plymouth and Hudson lenses it's still fairly small

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg
    On piece at a time.

I started working on the leaf springs, the original plan was the round the tips, bead blast them and move forward.

However with the divots I've got to work out I figured id get them as nice as I could by hand first. I like sneaking up on stuff like this so o don't take off to much material so I've been using the tools/methods in the photo from left to right to clean them up this morning.

About 15 minutes a spring and I move on to the next one. I'll then go back threw them all and radius the ends and clean them up better in the really rough spots with a more agressive process.

All in all it should be worth it when they paint up nice and ride even smoother :)

jurowe302000 likes this.