Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ALTERED thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 3, 2016.

1. I need some help from you guys and I know it's a big long shot . It would mean so much to me and especially to my oldest son . We don't have my Dad's helmet it's the only helmet he owned he borrowed helmets before 1963 he use to keep it in his black race bag with his fire suit it has been lost between moves or it was donated maybe to a local track to a kid just starting out not sure . It would be either in Northern California or Vegas in the last 20 yrs not here in Tx My son asked my Dad where it was and he said he didn't know where it was or I got rid of it and didn't want to talk about it . Maybe by chance somebody has it as a cool vintage helmet to have this is the best picture I have of it with the purple metal flakes and Yogi Bear . We would love to have it [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 4 others like this.
  2. Here is the front of the helmet I'm looking for [​IMG]

EVL401, loner2, Stebo27 and 3 others like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maz
    If any car/driver deserves a free pass in this thread it's this one.
    Willie had some big shoes (among other things I'd bet), tough for anybody to fill.
    I never saw a single pass from WWB, but I have seen many, many passes by Mike at numerous CHRR's. There's a reason they call him "Big" Mike Boyd, and I won't be the one to tell him he's not relevant to this thread.
    A great guy I've heard. I'll resepect both perceptions.

Deuces, wraymen and loudbang like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Loudbang, I may have missed some earlier discussion about this.
    Could you clarify this statement, don't want to leave anybody hanging that doesn't know what you may have meant.
    Have you read the story about WWB's fake arm he strapped to the side of his F/C?
    There are articles on the web about it and other interesting facts about WWB.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I couldn't agree more.

Deuces and Dean Lowe like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

I understand where you are coming from, (here it comes) BUT we had a few too modern photos posted right at the beginning and you know that could cause the thread to be locked and from the pretty fantastic response of people that love altereds posting more and more that would be a sad thing.

I was grabbing photos and didn't realize that was not Willie and as much as Mike deserves credit for what he has done it was good of Mazzmal to point out my mistake so we can keep posting in here. :)

7. loudbang

loudbang

Well I'm confused about this subject. I always thought willie HAD to used the fake arm and even found photos of it that were posted earlier. So I'm now not sure myself if it was just a prank or he really needed it. If you know the real story let us know or later I will research the story myself to see if I can find any info.

8. Loudbang I'm pretty sure the #6"red monkey car is my Dad my sons looked at it also. I was able to get a close up of his helmet today and the 2nd pic is him sitting in a red car it seems close. What do you think ? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. loudbang

loudbang

Sure does look like the helmet in the roadster photo.

10. loudbang

loudbang

One more infamous photo that a lot of people have seen THE MOB AA/FA

Not only was it one of the coolest named AA/FAs of the golden era of drag racing, it was one of the longest running, hardest running, and winningest as well. The famed MOB fuel altered was piloted by Moore who had gotten his start in the AA/FA ranks by racing with Dave Hough and the famed “Nanook”. If the legend is true, it was Moore who came up with the Nanook name after looking at his girlfriend who was all bundled up in a winter coat. True or not, it makes for a good story.

After Hough and Moore went their separate ways, Moore reappeared on Southern California drag strips piloting the Friendly Chevrolet fuel altered which was powered by a big block Chevy sporting the perfect combo of a blower and nitro as fuel. After a short lived run with that car on his own, the team of Moore, Oates, and Bradley was formed up. The first letter of their last names made up the word “mob” and hence “The MOB” AA/FA was born and while the team members changed over the years, The MOB name was there to stay.

“The MOB” AAFA.jpg

Bradford This car was powered by an injected 427 Chevy on nitro with best times in 1967 being 8.60 ET at 178 MPH. The injected car was a giant killer and they were runner up at 3 fuel altered shows at Orange County Raceway in a row and won many rounds at all the tracks. During late 1967, the local promoters of fuel altered shows put pressure on injected altereds to add superchargers and so the Bradford Fiat complied. This was also a success as fuel altered racing was at its peek in southern California. for some great historical info see these two threads.

http://www.bradfordsfiat.com/
    https://www.hotrodhotline.com/content/bradfords-drag-racing-family

Bradford 1.jpg

Bradford 2.JPG

bradford 3.JPG

bradford 4.jpg

bradford 5.jpg

Bradford at night.jpg

bradfordflame1.jpg

Dean & White AA/A

Deamn and white 1.jpg

Dean and white 2.jpg

dean and white 3.jpg

11. loudbang

loudbang

Leon Fitzgerald made driving fuel altereds look easy in the ’60s and early ’70s. He made this picturesque pass at Lions during the AHRA Nationals, where 8.70s at 170-plus took him as far as the Altered Eliminator final. Leon gambled on Lions’s instant-green, “LL” (Leavers Lose) starting lights and lost, fouling to the much-quicker Willie Borsch (8.48/177.16). This nitro-burning Bantam was the original Pure Heaven, a name inspired by a friendly South-North rivalry with Pure Hell. Unlike Rich Guasco and other Chrysler defectors, Fitzgerald stuck with Chevrolets exclusively, and still wrenches on the rat-motored Pure Heaven at nostalgia meets.

003-golden-age-of-drag-racing-fuel-altered-fitzgerald.jpg

A huge upset saw Tom Ferraro’s 9.36 hold off Dale Emery in Rich Guasco’s 8-second Pure Hell en route to the Blown Altered/Fuel Roadster victory.

tom Ferraro dale emery.jpg

During Bakersfield’s sixth U.S. Fuel & Gas Championships, Harrell, Borsch & Muse experimented both with and without a new, spring-loaded airfoil, whose angle varied with the T’s speed. “Wild” Willie Borsch’s early two-handed, no-smoke driving style earned the meet’s A/Fuel Altered Roadster class trophy at 9.59/171.59.

WILLIE     harrell-borsch-and-muse.jpg

The famous 554 coupe nitro burning altered.

554 coupe nitro-burning-altereds.jpg

Jim Dunn & Henry Velasco A/A Fiat in the winners area

jimm-dunn-and-henry-velasco.jpg

Hydro-motive-equipped 1938 Austin coupe. GAB on door
    Edit: info from Dean Lowe....
    The Bantam coupe with "GAB" on the side is Gabby Bleeker, as hard a runner in fuel altered as there was. Gabby later ran a Chrysler in another version of the Bantam coupe.

hydro-motive-equipped-1938-austin.jpg

Jerry Dilbeck coupe C/A

jerry-dilbeck-coupe.jpg

More Mike Sullivan Fiat

Mike sullivan.JPG

Jim & Oeda Mcmurtrey 1960 comet D/A. "Mac's Cafe Special"

jim-and-oeda-mcmurtrey-1960-comet d A.jpg

Bob Moody's traditional C/Altered coupe vs Al Vander Woude's converted Super Stocker AWB

flying-dutchman-moodys-garage-1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  12. loudbang

loudbang

You were correct and I was completely faked out for many years LOL.

Veteran drag racing fans and historians of the sport will surely recall the unique driving style of “Wild Willie” Borsch in the 1960s, in which he would perform his burnouts and most passes with just his right hand on the tiller while his left arm remained firmly planted trucker-style along the edge of the famous “Winged Express” Altered’s cockpit.

But how many are as familiar with the false arm that Borsch continued the tradition with after he made the switch to Funny Cars in the Revell’s “Wild Man” ’71 Dodge Charger?

[​IMG]
    “Wild Willie” Borsch

In a brilliant marketing move, Borsch managed to bring his trademark look over to the flopper by constructing a fake left arm from a dismembered mannequin, a left sleeve severed from an old fire suit and a discarded left glove. It all added up to a remarkably realistic-looking limb that even made its way to production in the Revell-issued plastic model of the car.

from here: https://dragillustrated.com/wild-willie-arm-up-for-auction/

A bit more

According to former partner “Mousie” Marcellus, Borsch didn’t initially drive the Winged Express one-handed to show off but because the seat was too big for him, so he held on to the body to keep from sliding around in the car. Once he became known for the crowd-pleasing style, he maintained it, and his strong arms – developed in his occupation as a tile setter who routinely had to carry 80-pound buckets of tile cement – allowed it.

from here: http://www.nhra.com/blog/dragster-insider/2012/07/17/id-give-my-left-arm-to-own-that/

13. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

Randy Bradford is one heck of a nice guy.. March Meet 2016

Attached Files:

cruiserjohn76, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  14. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Peanuts & Gefre. Minnesota Dragways, about 1965

Speed Gems, Pufff, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  15. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

My dads A/ Fueler:
    977189_593294577394549_1362841984_o.jpg

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 9 others like this.
  16. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

17. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Another from Fremont:
    1898886_662930457097627_877262194_o.jpg

18. The Bantam coupe with "GAB" on the side is Gabby Bleeker, as hard a runner in fuel altered as there was. Gabby later ran a Chrysler in another version of the Bantam coupe.

19. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Really enjoy this thread, thanks for it!
    As for local nostalgia races Michelle, head up the road a little ways to Little River April 2 for the Southwest Heritage Racing Assoc.event. www.shraracing.com. Little River is also home to the Kontinentals' Day of The Drag Race event. And if you make it to the Lonestar Roundup you can visit with the Texas Timing Assoc. at the cackle.
    333 la 3.jpg This is the car that hooked me, as I owned it for a short time as a teen-the Doc Eiland car from Louisiana.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  20. loudbang

loudbang

Good stuff added it to the photo. Gee you must have spent a good part of your youth at drag strips to know all these people. :p

21. Yep, and when not at a strip, my face was buried in the latest Drag News.

22. loudbang

loudbang

Got some good ones in today's batch. :D

Starting with PURE HELL

Not only did Dale Emery drive one of the more memorable drag racing vehicles ever, Rich Guasco’s famed Pure Hell AA/Fuel Altered roadster, but he also has enjoyed one of drag racing’s lengthiest careers. He began in 1955 and remains very active as a tuner and parts supplier for nitro-burning nostalgia cars.

Pete Ogden, who built Emery’s Top Fueler, had also constructed a blown small-block Chevy-powered roadster for Guasco, Don Petrich, and Fred Cerruti that was known as Pure Hell. When Petrich quit driving the car at the end of 1964, Emery replaced him in the driver’s seat in 1965, and he continued in that role through the 1969 season.

“We had a lockup clutch with the small-block Chevy,” said Emery. “And it was a real handful because you never knew which way it would go when it locked up at half-track. If the tires were still smoking, it would be OK, but if it hooked up, the car could go in any direction.”

The team solved that problem by installing a slider clutch that stabilized the car’s handling characteristics, and the Chevy was replaced by a more powerful blown Chrysler Hemi, which put them deep into the seven-second zone at nearly 220 mph

EMERY and linda.jpg

emery pure hell 1.jpg

emery pure hell.jpg

EMERY-5.jpg

The Northeast had some wild creations in the 1960s, including this Henry J. Running in B/Altered, this car has an extreme amount of engine setback, as you can see by the injector stacks sitting where the driver normally resides

b A henry J.jpg

Burkholder brothers Pete and Hairy altered

Burkholder Pete and Hairy.jpg

M.A. Madden and son, Bill, gained a national reputation with their homebuilt 1940 Willys sedan out of Anniston, Alabama. Dubbed The Chicken Pickers (Madden owned a poultry farm and processer), the '40 ran as a Gasser and in D/Altered, and was an NHRA record-holder and serious threat at any race.

madden-1940-willys-sedan.jpg

Dave Bowman's "Mental Cruelty" Bantam

Dave Bowman\'s Mental Cruelty Bantam.jpg

Unusual for sure ......
    While most folks who jumped on the nostalgia bandwagon might consider this car a gasser because of its appearance, it wasn’t allowed in the Gas class. Because of the drastic changes in the Corvair’s drivetrain, it was forced to run in the Altered class. (Photo Courtesy Richard McFalls)

covair altered.jpg

Westland, Michigan's Dan Parker bought this outdated Logghe Funny Car chassis for a dollar-store price and then repurposed it as a record-holding B/Altered. Dan's homebuilt, injected 426 Hemi had plenty of power and was a force in NHRA Division 3 Comp Eliminator in the early 1970s.

with just a tad of chassis twist. :cool:

-dan-parker.jpg

Chicago's Jack Ditmars' heavily modified 1934 Ford was a popular Comp Eliminator racer. Ditmars was noted for wild wheelstands as he rowed through the four-speed. He gained further fame with Der Mini Brute, a normally aspirated, Chevy-powered Opel alcohol Funny Car.

-jack-ditmars.jpg

Toledo, Ohio's Dick Titsworth ran this clean 1948 Anglia in the 1960s, first as a Gasser and sometimes as an Altered. His Seaport Automotive was a northern Ohio force for race engines and machine work. He later ran alcohol Funny Cars with equal success.

sportsman-racers-dick-titsworth-1948-anglia.jpg

23. loudbang

loudbang

South Jersey-based Seabrook Farms is a major frozen foods supplier. Owner Charlie Seabrook's weekend hobby was this E/A powered by an Aston-Martin DOHC DB-6 engine. Since the car was originally motivated by a GMC 6, Charlie kept the Jersey Jimmy name. Seabrook won class at the Nationals and set E/A records. He's seen here at Maple Grove, Pennsylvania, in 1975.

sportsman-racers-charlie-seabrook.jpg

The Sock It To Me!

The Sock It To Me!.jpg

And last but not least for today more Richard Petty barracuda

Richard Petty’s infamous Barracuda drag car is seen here at the AHRA Winternationals held at Bee Line Dragway in late January 1965. This was the first event that featured a class for cars that pushed the limits of Super Stock. The new Super Stock Experimental evolved into what we now call Funny Cars. (Photo Courtesy John Durand)

petty 1.jpg

Richard Petty is seen here in his infamous Outlawed Barracuda, facing off against Dick Harrell in the first running of the Factory Experimental class, held at the 1965 AHRA Winter Nationals. (Photo Courtesy John Durand)

petty 2.jpg
    petty.jpg

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 8 others like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Keep them coming just noticed we got a "Featured" Star for this thread, thanks to everybody posting "good stuff":D

25. Thank you for the information. i will have to check it out. I see on there site at Little River they have street racing do they win money at that raceway? I checked out San Antonio also and i see they do there .

Deuces likes this.
  26. Jibs

Jibs

I always liked this photo of the 15 oz coupe.

15 oz coupe 2.jpg

27. A note on the Dean & White altered T roadster. The blown Chevy was the same engine Nolan White used to run 220 at Bonneville in his highly modified Glaspar sports coupe.

EVL401, Deuces, ProEnfo and 2 others like this.
  28. One of Billy "The Kid" Scott's Dad's race cars.

[​IMG]

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 9 others like this.
  29. On a Sunday in June, 1959, at Pomona, I snapped this photo of the Burkhart, Bramer and Burns altered roadster. Normally running a blown Desoto, on this day they were running Frank Cannon's blown fuel 392. The crowd was stunned when this steel roadster made the first ever high gear only pass for an altered. The car ran 9.90's at 163, and nearly got around Ted Cyr for top eliminator!

[​IMG]