Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Good thing you have a Bryant Crank & Carrillo rods!

2. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

What's the dome volume?

3. Got to look it up on Solid Works Monday. Then we'll compute with the chamber, gasket, deck, crevice, gas port, and dome volume. It should be more like 14.5/15.0:1

402BOSSMAN and Uncledirty616 like this.
  4. Used Vaseline around the piston and in the gas ports. It was straight up but I noticed the plug hole is not truly at the top so there could be a bubble in the top. I'm going off of memory on the 111 head volume. What will 2cc do to the number?

5. The cam is 280 @ .050 that might need lots of squeeze anyway.

6. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

I will check my notes but I believe it may be closer to 115cc on the chamber. Dome volume and how far the top ring is down is all the more info I need to check on my end. Ric has a handle on it anyhow.

7. 2cc is about a 1/4 point of compression. Yes, that Wale will like 16:1, but my original math, with the dome available, was more like 14.5/15.0, check it out tomorrow.

8. That is pretty dam slick there Tony!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  9. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Is it April 30 yet?!?! I'm so excited i cant hardly stand it

Higgy's Henry, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't know what's happening, but I keep losing the subscription notification of posts on this thread. Have to put another post over on Letters to the Editor, I guess.
    The way I was taught years ago to figger dome cc on a pop up piston:
    1- Lower piston a measured amount from TDC far enough that dome is below deck.
    2-seal with Vaseline, level deck, cover deck with plate with hole in it, and measure cc
    3- compute cc for that cyl ID with flat top piston and the amount piston is lowered form TDC as the stroke
    4-subtract the cc measurement you got with step #2 above from amount in step #3, and the product is the dome cc.
    Then the formula you have should give the cr after you factor in head gasket thickness and chamber cc.
    Hope this makes sense.

11. 111cc Chamber + 9.2cc Gasket =120.2cc
    120.2cc - 51cc Net effective dome (after accounting for valve pockets, top land crevice volume, & gas port volume)= 69.2cc compressed volume
    Swept Cyl. volume is 956.5 cc + 69.2cc = 1025.7 divided by 69.2cc = 14.82:1 Compression
    Tony, if you bought your CC Buret, the same place as your first (off shore) third member, there is the problem. I have seen Burets off by 5 cc's in the past, that would account for just about one point (more in your case) of compression ratio.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

No comments on my suggestion on how to measure dome cc?

13. Takes too long...

:)

loudbang likes this.
  14. DOM - in a HEMI dome chamber, the fluid volume at TDC method is way easier. For a Small Block Belly Button wedge pop up, I agree with your method. However - if the 3D modeling guy can run the numbers, that beats all .... especially since Chinese liquid measuring tools are not so accurate.

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

OK, didn't realizethat those fancy pistons actually came with a dome cc spec. Even more impressive!
    But at least I got a subscription notification this time.

Tyresmoke, Dog_Patch and allwilly like this.
  16. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Is there no way to check the accuracy of the burnet? It just seems odd that they can't come up with a way to calibrate it or something. I'll admit this stuff is way way over my head. But as always I enjoy following along with all the cars and can't wait till Greer.

17. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

How much Squeeze will C116 gas stand? 16:1 is approaching Diesel territory

loudbang likes this.
  18. moby-dick-medium.jpg VP C16 is the NHRA Spec fuel for Competition Elimnator, and is recommended by VP for Blown, Turbo Charged, and Nitrous applications, as well as normally aspirated engines up to 17.0:1 compression. Static compression is one thing, but what will that Whale's pumping pressure/dynamic compression be, once Tony adds his Matterhorn camshaft? Only Capt. Dog Patch Ahab will know!

19. That method works too!

20. All I can say is this custom engine work is time consuming .... start out the day with plans to slap on the heads and paint. Better check the valve clearance to the gasket and bore. Too close for me. Its closer than it looks in the pics.

IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG IMG_2575.JPG

The clay doesn't lie.

IMG_2582.JPG

So shave the copper back and notch the cylinders a bit .....

IMG_2583.JPG

Now I can sleep at night. :rolleyes:

IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

Time for the good help to arrive and do the heavy lifting. :D

IMG_2594.JPG

21. Now you know why good custom engine builders charge a fair bit for custom engine assembly, especially if its one they don't often, or have never done. As Axle Rose would say "WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE"!

saltflats, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  22. AmishMike

AmishMike

Better get that "heavy lifter" some steel toed boots. Also better on cold concrete floors here in Pa. - at least for us old guys. Like the picture above his right hand - want me to come down & turn sweet little wild piggys into BBQ?

Dog_Patch likes this.
  23. PS. I sure hope you got all those grinding boo gets out of the engine! That's why I winced when you out all 8 in, before have the heads back for a trial fit. Nice McGyvering though

Dog_Patch likes this.
  24. Damn that guy - he has his driver's license now so he drove to my house ;) it was an automatic :(. I've been after him for a year to wear jeans and boots but when the torque wrench comes out for 110lbs, not gonna complain. Pink shoes o_O. 100% positive a girl hasn't busted his balls on his shoes yet - he'll come around as soon as that day arrives. Yeah those Georgia hogs need thinned out.

Yeah my masking methods consumed the day. The plan was to do the notch back in the early part of the build but you need to put things in motion early in this game, so I figured on masking and grinding late in the game. It was a fair trade.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  25. WAC Customs built a killer chromoly straight axle to replace the bent Speedway axle ;) Check those welds!

[​IMG]

He also made a bigger drag link - its actually lighter than the Speedway drag link. This should stabilize the front end a bunch.
    IMG_2606.JPG

BCCHOPIT, powrshftr, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  26. Hot damn! Looks awesome! Can't wait to see this thing tear up the track in a couple months!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  27. Hell yah, that and a nail powered truck:)

allwilly likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

When she grows up and a spot of red paint she could look like this :rolleyes:

ca45721383cacfd615e5568e07ef746d4a3915e0.jpg

Mtn Goat likes this.
  29. Interesting to see the progression of the body styles.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Getting somewhere now - the weather has been super nice. Got the front axle set up and welded the brackets on. Brakes are installed. RAM re-did the clutch from last season's abuse. Trying to make it to Paradise Dragway on March 19th.

Check this Bryant crank - its hollow - needs a plug in the end to hold the oil inside. Its 14 lbs lighter than stock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like new!
    [​IMG]

Recruited Shawn The Hippie to lend a had - he says "that's a damn big engine"
    [​IMG]

30 minutes and its in. :)
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, loudbang, enloe and 9 others like this.