Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buick Info needed! (1957) W/ 9351 Orig Miles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Solospeedshop, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

31.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 27.jpg 5.jpg Hey Gang!
    Just picked up a 1957 2 Door Post Buick Special 3 on tree all stock w/ 9351 original miles
    Was looking for some Buick guys to tell me how rare this car is! Is it a sought after car? Tks in advance Bill @ Solo Speed Shop

2. 55xgasr

55xgasr

I can tell you that it takes a 3 prong flasher...LOL

CQQL car and was fun working on it with you this past weekend.

3. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i'm betting the odometer already rolled over once at least... some photos of the interior and pedals please! still low mileage regardless...

4. williebill

williebill

3 on the tree is a huge plus in my book. Had a 65 Wildcat with that a few years ago, PO of that car said he'd checked with GM, and the production numbers were damn low. In 57 it probably wasn't as rare, but at least it ain't a Dynaflow.

5. Looks like Broderick Crawford's car from 'Highway Patrol'.... :)

Rare, not all that rare at 23k built. Desirable, more than a 4dr. It was the least expensive Buick available.

6. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! No not rolled over real miles! Lil old lady bought new! Really never drove! Died in 79 & estate car put in storage & never drove til 2015 Seat all ready redone just cracked & dry rotted no arm wear on drivers garnish moulding & both T 3 S still in tact! Column Shifter shifts like butter! 19.jpg 8.jpg 26.jpg

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  7. belair

belair

Rare is a hard word to define. Unusual, yes. Awesome, yes. Desirable-to the right guy (me being one of them). Worth a ton of dough, no. But it is a GREAT car. Buy my transmission for a spare.

8. Very cool find indeed!! IF I remember correctly, the speedo had a cardboard cylinder in it that turned as you drove to indicate the speed. Also a setting that would sound a loud buzz if you exceeded the setting. If that's correct, your speedo is stuck on a 100! Very cool car, I wouldn't mind having found it. Tim

9. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys Tks for the replys! The HAMB is great for info & input from other car guys! Keep the schooling coming! Tks Bill

10. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedo! Bought a shop manual & speedo is like a barber pole & works off a magnet & springs! its not stuck it just flashes white & red LOL Odometer works! I pulled cable & greased but didn't help! Saw a beautiful 57 Roadmaster @ GNRS this weekend ( Big Buck car) His was also flashing red! I asked him about it & he said forget it he tried to get his fixed & no help! Anybody out ther know how to fix them? Tks Bill

11. biscaynes

biscaynes

cool find! not alot of post cars, most were hardtops. love the rear window styling on them!

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

A great score. Great patina, the chrome and stainless looks amazing. Don't care what anyone says, a three speed 57 Buick tudor post with less then 10K miles is a "rare" car. If it were mine, I'd keep it completely stock bodied with all the original chrome and stainless it left the factory with. Keep us posted on your progress.

Gary

13. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So far! 1 parking & 1 Brake light Bulb & a 3 way flasher! Another question how many cars made with push the gas pedal to start? That was weird first time starting! Also ignition is on in the straight up & down slot! Why would GM try this just to say Buick is special??? Tks Bill

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try Nailhead Buick shop, Grass Valley, CA 530-272-1564

15. Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  16. elba

elba

That's a nice Buick. You could make 3 Hondas with the steel in those huge bumpers.
    I have never seen BUICK dog dish caps.

17. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

that's just the way that you did it back then in the Buick. lots of cars had weird starting systems back then.

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Solospeedshop,
    My '53 Special 2dr Post, Model 48D, was the same way...floor starter & all. You can see pix of it in my Profile page info.
    Your '57 Special was the ONLY 2dr. Post Buick made in '57...all the rest of their 2dr.s were Hardtops. They cranked out about 23,000 of your model...so, yes, not many 2dr.'s survived through the years. Some were cannibalized for parts, many just traded away, sold, rusted-out and died.

SO, I'd hold onto yours...it'll be a cool ride if you decided to keep it. And, yes, Buick did have those "dog dish" caps that would be on a, at-that-time, "lowline" Special. It was the least expensive Buick you could buy...and still have a Buick crest on your new car !

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  19. elba

elba

Question : Is that large piece of trim between the rear bumper and wheel well chrome or stainless ?
    Once again NICE CAR !

20. Gerrys

Gerrys

Had a 4 door century back in 80. I took the speedo apart and oiled it. worked good. but graphite would be better. The cylinder should be metal. Mine had flaking paint. Any speedo shop should be able to fix it. If it has the speed warning there should be a knob under the dash on the left hand side. it sounds a buzzer when you get to theh preset speed.

21. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

You found a great looking car with amazing chrome. The best thing about 3 on the tree these days is it's the best anti-theft device you can get. I've always loved 2 door shoeboxes.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

It has rust, little hubcaps, wrong tires, not even an automatic transmision. If I was you I would donate it to the guy in Ohio(ME) for his Buick collection.:)

Arabie777 likes this.
  23. skoh73

skoh73

Man, that is a gorgeous Buick! You scored big!

24. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Welcome to the dark side...we have cookies!

Arabie777 and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cookies! Peanut Butter Please!!!

volvobrynk and Nailhead Brooklyn like this.
  26. One of my favorites ! This is my wife's.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  27. haychrishay

haychrishay

That's a cool car!

28. The first thing I would fix is the mileage, I'd Drive The Wheels Off HER ! LOVE IT !!!

29. chargin03

chargin03

One cool car!

30. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

X2 on COOL car. If it were mine it would get a good bath, polish the chrome, dual exhaust for some rumble sound and a new tire rubber rake. Is it rare? I suppose that is debatable. I would bet you could put another 50K miles on it and not run into another one like it. Great score. I wish it was mine and you had a better one.