Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What The Hell Just Happened?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 1, 2016.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

One official " ATTABOY " for this gentleman, I have never owned a car of this caliber, very happy for him, EVERYONE enjoys some regnition for their time and efforts and this is as BIG as it gets.

Born a HotRodGal likes this.
  2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There were more than a few "traditional" roadster in contention this year. While these cars exceed most mortals ability to pay attention to detail, I though that Tom Lieb's '29 with a flathead was a top contender.

3. What The Hell Just Happened?
    The judges get it..
    Great Car-Excellent

4. anybody know?

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I know that those are mirrors under the car, but I keep seeing this and thinking "oil leak?"

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. I believe there are 12 judges and each ranks the cars from first to last on a number of categories like stance, interior, engine, paint etc each judge also picks one car that they feel is the AMBR they use some combination of these to declare a winner.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

All these guys that have any complaints about this car need to step up and build their own AMBR winner....not just a contender but a WINNER!

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

First let me say I'm glad a somewhat conventional, driven roadster won Worlds Most Beautiful Roadster. But then their must have been some pissed off contenders as there always is. I remember a local guy where I was living at the time, East Bay Nor. Ca. entered a radical S.O.C. powered T at Oakland I think in the '70s. When he didn't win he sued the Show promoters and lost. He ended up committing suicide. Not sure why he did it. Maybe not because of the car show thing at all. Just interesting.
    Back to the winner this year. I wonder if the judging has any strict rules in what they are judging for. Weather they give points for a driven rods or knock off points for road rash. It seems these contestants are at the mercy of the judges yearly whims.
    Again that's why I don't build show cars. Or maybe I'm not that much of a perfectionist and I never had much $ and I was too practical to make my family suffer for my obsessions. I've heard stories but I won't name names.

Gary

Atwater Mike and mctim64 like this.
  9. Beautiful car and well deserved. Congrats to al involved.

10. ... but your own car isn't too bad either. ;) It deserves a AMBR trophy too in my humble opinion. Especially because it has the right motor :D, a very beautiful dash with amazing gauges and many more nice details. It would have been a tough decision for the judges at GNRS if both cars would have contended side by side. I confess envy. BTW great article in HOP UP Magazine Vol 11 No 2 about the built of the cars.

11. Yes ... According to the rodshows.com website:

... but note that the AMBR judging procedures were "revised" in 2011 ... Here's a couple of articles explaining the criteria currently used:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  12. It doesn't really sound like a point system in the traditional sense and how it use to be as you don't get "points" for certain things. It sounds more like a ranking system where the judges rank various aspects of the cars compared to the other entrants.

HEMI32 likes this.
  13. blackanblue

blackanblue

Nice job and congratulations,,,rotten avocadoes usually end up in the trash.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just from the pics here the fit and finish of the winner is beyond "...Most Beautiful...". It seems that the qualities that make such a winner are unencumbered by anything added for effect. Still haven't taken it all in from the TRJ feature, just musing about what I see here in the event coverage and this topic.

15. blackanblue

blackanblue

I like it,,but I hope it doesn't become the new black.

Atwater Mike and jcmarz like this.
  16. blackanblue

blackanblue

That's where you shinny up the pole and paint on the way down.

17. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

When I saw the finalists, I didn't think this car had a shot at winning...
    Not because it wasn't good enough to win, but because it didn't fit into the normal box that the usual winners come from. No radical display, no radical colour/striping/graphics, no overly blinged up engine, very little plating, no overly rare/expensive speed parts.
    When the winner was announced I thought maybe Steve Harvey announced the winner.

Im glad to see it won, congrats to all involved!

Now I wonder how many people are rethinking their 2017 AMBR build plans after this winner. It definitely changed the show car landscape.

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Spelling police are on the ball!!! LOL.

thirtytwo, Jake Sippl and moefuzz like this.
  19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very simply a beautiful car! Congrats to all involved . Then again , look at the hot rod pedigree of the ones who built her....pure class!!!

20. verde742

verde742

HEY ! Be kind to Foose !!!
    He's a good guy,, and Besides everyone is fighting some kind of Battle !!

rod1 likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was privileged to meet Darryl at Austin. He is Roy Brizio's bro-in-law. The car is flawless yet subtle. His color choice is almost as confusing as Sid Chaver's roadster sitting across the row from Darryl's. I love red Deuce roadsters, of course, but their choices are so off-the-wall yet so welcome. These guys, along with several other roadster drivers who had NO tops, drove the 1500<> from the West Coast and apparently had a cool time. Definitely a hard-core bunch of rodders.

HEMI32 likes this.
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEAH, Dude. I second verde742's EMOTION.

verde742 likes this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now THAT is a car for the ages; early Hemi, Deuce body/frame, and it is driven. Gets no better than this !

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Fat47, please don't give up on Austin and the Roundup. There are plenty down-to-earth rides roaming the fairgrounds and the various eateries around town. Many very creative builders bring their wares to romp and stomp and have a good time. My wife and I are 69 & 72 irrespectively, and there is plenty to do and see even for oldsters.

25. I find your comment a bit comical ... considering the Foose, Brizio, & Hollenbeck families are long time friends ... and I'd bet Chip was one of the first "competitors" to congratulate Daryl & Terri.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. What a sour serving of Haterade spilled on a respectful discussion.

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I think Darryl just wanted to make sure his trip to Austin and return would be mechanically excellent. This MOST PROBABLY couldn't happen with Henry's flatmotor, not at the speeds these Kats ran. He wanted to have a successful 3,000 mile trip, not a 30 mile trip.

28. thanks, reading the way the car was judged says a lot for the build AND they make sense. using driver seating comfort, sound, over all look with doors and hoods closed, and drivability will make real hot rods contenders and not just the blingy, chromey, electric doo dad, display happy useless show cars will win.

HEMI32 likes this.
  29. BIG Kudo's for all involved with this build..........absolutely 1st class on ideas & execution thru out.......

Major break-thru, to my thinking, is " AMBR Winner is a road warrior " and won this Award with some serious road miles already under it's wheels.........

Love Fuzzy's pic of Chick's 32 AMBR contender and recall seeing this car driven to Deuce Days in Victoria just 6 months after GNRS making me think a new trend was starting then........also was on Curmudgeon Tour last fall with Chick & his 32, it goes down the road real nicely.........

30. GeeRam

GeeRam

Absolutely......:cool: