Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford Coupe Steering Wheel Adapters?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flat40, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Flat40

Flat40

I needed to put a smaller steering wheel in my original column and move the seat back because I am 6'3". I read lots of posts because I wanted the change to go smoothly. I bought the wheel and adapter from one place (Forever Sharp) thinking that would help things to work together. I got a 40-48 Ford tapered keyed adapter that connects to a three to five bolt billet adapter and then to the wheel. It seemed to go well, but there were almost no threads left for the nut. I tapped the keyed adapter with a wood block to make sure it was seated on all the way.
    Has anyone had this happen?
    Is there another company/adapter that works better?
    Is there a thinner adapter?
    Thanks for any info.

2. If the adapter is aluminum, it should be easy to get it to go further on the shaft. Just remove the key and put some fine valve grinding compound on the shaft. Put the adapter on the shaft and twist the adapter back and forth. It will not take much to get the adapter to seat further down.

3. dave plmley

dave plmley

I got mine from Speedway and had the same problem, I fit-up the adapter keyway and it's OK now

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Same here with a Speedway adapter, I haven't fixed mine yet.

5. fordor41

fordor41

If the adapter is thick enough, you could chuck it in a lathe and cut a recess for the nut.

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

As an option, purchase a 15" 40 wheel for your stock column. I am 6' 2" and don't have any problem.
    IMG_7596.jpg

7. As far as legroom goes, I've been playing around with my seat location, and for me, tipping the seat back by using spacers under the front in the stock location made it more comfortable for me. But then again I'm only 6'0"

8. 1941coupe

1941coupe

grant adapters allways worked for me, not sure if still available,try ebay

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Take a look at an adapter offered by Limeworks. I have one on my 32 roadster with a bolt on wheel on one of my repro 40 columns and it looks good

10. tim troutman

tim troutman

I purchased a grant adapter at auto zone part number 792291 don't know if its any different than the one you have but should be ez to return

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the wheel Pew suggested and move the seat back about 2 inches and tilt it up a bit in front as Dan Hay said.

12. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

Who sells a 15 inch wheel that fits my 40 column without using an adaptor? Thanks.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vintique and I'm sure there are others as well.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have put 15 inch wheels on a few stock 40 columns over the years (only do 40's)--will have to dig in my stuff to see where they came from-think Vintique though

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Lime Works offers a 16 inch 40 wheel with a tapered and keyed center to fit stock columns.

16. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

Yes, I knew about Limeworks having a 16 inch wheel that fits the tapered shaft , Was hoping to find a 15 inch wheel that was a direct fit to the 40 shaft with no adaptor. Don't know if there is such a thing but every one that I find has a GM spline and requires an adaptor. Hoping and still looking. Thanks.

Hot Dodge pickup likes this.