Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A Coupe Y-Block Build (Father&Son)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NathanxStewart, Jan 4, 2016.

1. The johnny joint came from Currie Enterprises. They invented them, for off road purposes. They have 30 degrees of articulation , as opposed to 22 degrees with a regular heim joint. This is the biggest one they make. Part # CE-9111. It uses a 3/4" bolt. I used a grade 8 bolt.

2. Mart

Mart

Impressive stuff. Well thought out and excellent workmanship.

Mart.

metal man, hipster and NathanxStewart like this.
  3. Thank you sir, it'll just be the small details I'll know about then!

4. Thank you very much Mart! Appreciate the kind words.

5. Used a 47' pickup truck pedal assembly and got it all mounted up with the dual reservoir master cylinder. Had to make a bell crank cause the clutch pedal is a pusher and the clutch fork pulls.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452473493.324448.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452473562.141298.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452473653.454121.jpg

6. v8caddy

v8caddy

I like the bell crank idea , lesson learned lesson applied

BradinNC, NathanxStewart and hipster like this.
  7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks really good. Great progress. Have a question for ya. In a previous post, you showed the trans with shifter further forward than in your latest post. I think you said it was a t5. Which tail housing are you using? Plan on using a t5 with the shifter in a forward position, looking for info, tips. Thanks

NathanxStewart likes this.
  8. salf100

salf100

Was that the bell housing on a 3 speed trans??

9. hipster

hipster

Looking great! Nice job on the bell crank. Will be a shame to hide all those slick details, but paint's going to make it even more over the top. Looking forward to the conclusion!

metal man and NathanxStewart like this.
  10. cretin

cretin

Looks like a cool hot rod in the making. Nice work.

11. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Like your Idea with the bell crank. I was going to use a slave for my F1 now you are giving me some ideas on a different approach. Nice build well thought out details,Looking Good!!

12. Nathanxstewart, you've peaked some yblock/T5 interest here....
    At some point, could you give the P/N for the bell housing you used?
    Thanks

NathanxStewart and mike bowling like this.
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

X2^^^^^^^^^^ A complete breakdown of parts would be excellent- I'd love to get that monster off the floor and into something! I already have a spare T-5 too; seems like the right way to go.

The work you guys are doing is top shelf- I know you're probably sick of hearing it but your project looks excellent. Definately staying tuned in.
    (I see an awful nice coupe in front of the blast cabinet- ????)

Sad news about Bowie.

14. Mark T

Mark T

I don't want to highjack Nathan's thread but this may help, here is a link to John Mummert's website with information on the Y-block-T5 conversion.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/t5in-trucks.htm

I'm currently putting one together with the same bellhousing but I'm using all of the stock Ford parts to run a hydraulic clutch.

15. Thank you!!

16. Thank you! Yes it was farther forward because we thought the shifter would be too far back, we used a s10 tail housing to move it forward. It ended up being too far forward so we put the mustang tail housing back on to move it back in the right position. If you plan on using the s10 tail housing might want to use a longer shifter arm so you can reach it.

17. Sure was!

18. Thank you! Yeah I agree but the small details are more for me and I'll know they're there haha

19. Thank you sir!

20. Thank you! Glad we could help out a little!

21. Thank you, and I can actually give it to you right now!

TAAM-7505-B

22. I put the P/N to the bell housing in post #81.

The clutch fork is original to the '62 3 speed bell housing.

The clutch and pressure plate are '68 Torino (new)

The throw out bearing is the only part other than the bell housing ,that had to be modified . We cut the ring off of the '62 throw out bearing that the clutch fork fit into, and carefully tig welded it to the new '68 Torino bearing flange, getting rid of the clips that were on the Torino bearing flange. The Torino throw out bearing fit the snout on the T5 perfectly. It was a piece of cake, and now it all works very smoothly.

Thank you Mike, really appreciate the kind words. No I couldn't ever get sick of hearing someone appreciating our craftsmanship, thank you again. Yep that's a customers '34 coupe, really cool car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. We talked to John Mummert before starting on that and he helped us figure out what clutch pack to use. I believe we did it the same way he does, except he has his own throw out bearings made ( not for sale separately ), and we combined the '62 and '68 bearings to make it work.

24. Used the original steering box off my dads 1940 Ford Standard Coupe

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452539541.524816.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452539601.851680.jpg

DylanHill1931, D-Russ and AHotRod like this.
  25. Mark T

Mark T

I've seen the throw out bearings modified in a few different ways, some guys use the stock throw out bearing that matches the bellhousing and sleeve it internally to fit the T5 bearing retainer, I had my T5 bearing retainer sleeved externally to match the truck throw out bearing. Like they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

The clutch that I bought is a common Ford 11'' Long style, Ford used them in trucks and in performance cars, should be the same as yours.

26. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Wow, I've just found this thread. I can see the apple didn't fall far from the family tree. Great work Nathan. You don't know me, but I first met your Dad and Grampa when I was driving across the U.S. in the summer of '92. Realizing you are the SON of Jimmy Jnr. makes me feel really old!
    Cool looking car.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

27. Hey Stewart! Yeah I know you, met you once when I was a kid and we actually talked at the Detroit Autorama 2013 I think it was? Thank you for the kind words. Hope everything is well with you!

28. I plan on building a single hauler motorcycle trailer to tow behind my coupe so we built a trailer hitch. We used a special broached tubing made for hitches to get a perfect fit.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452563486.065402.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452563578.994638.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452563640.158534.jpg

DylanHill1931, D-Russ and AHotRod like this.
  29. metal man

metal man

How about this? Nathan is less than a year younger than I was that year. That really was a fun summer that I'll never forget.

How old is Hannah now ?

30. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Going off to college in the fall!
    We will be at Cobo on the Friday.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.