Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest EVER TALK YOURSELF OUT OF A SALE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you ever been about to sell or give away something hot rod related and then decide it is not the right person for it? I have the original engine and trans out of the Austin Somerset (Gasser build). It is a 1200 series that made 42 hp and was in a ton of cars: MG, Austin, Morris, Metropolitan etc. etc. Anyway I hated to toss it figuring someone would want or need it. It has been on Craigslist for ever asking $100 but I would give it to anyone that needed it.

Last night out of the blue I get a call on it from a very excited guy. He asked my bottom dollar and I said man if you can use it just come get it. He was at my shop an hour later. We are starting to dig it out and I asked what kind of car he is working on? I about fell over when he said it was an air cooled auto that shall not be mentioned on this site. He said he wanted something different and thought this would be cool adapted to the car. I couldn't believe it. I said don't take this the wrong way, but I am not giving it to you after all.

He was not very happy but then I explained it made about the same hp as his original engine but twice the weight. All the bolts and nuts on it are British Standard Whitworth, which is a big pain in the backside etc. etc. etc. I could have just kept my mouth shut and got it of my shop but it just didn't seem right. It will find the right home someday, but not with this yahoo.

Surfcityrocker and Hnstray like this.
  2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've never gone that far before pulling out of the deal, but I have had things for sale that I've told people it wasn't what they were looking for after talking to them a little bit. On the other hand, I've sold (just about gave away) things to people that I later regretted as well. I do applaud you for sticking with your gut and not giving in just because he was there.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, in High School had a '55 Chevy Hot Rod that a older guy with his teenage sons came over to look at / buy. we agreed on price but, did not have enough cash with them. I gave up on them. then about two weeks later they show up out of the blue to buy it. during that two weeks I spent some money on the car. so, told them I would split the amount I had put into it. the dad said no, that we had a agreed price before. he really pressured me but, I said no deal then. they left, and about a two weeks later the sons show up where I worked to ask if I still had '55. I say yes but, it had been totaled by a drunk driver crashing into rear of car. I bought a '57 Chevy and put '55 drive train in it.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've removed items for sale at swap meets a couple of times when the prospective Buyers became a little too mouthy in downgrading some aspect of the part, apparently to get a lower price. I've told them that I hadn't realized how bad the parts were, so I was removing them for sale. Had a few change their tune and ask to buy them anyway, but I refused to do so. After they walked away, I put them back on the table and usually sold them with no problem.

5. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

This is some what like the topic, I have 2 cars too many and decided to take my 36 Roadster to LARS in June of 2014 and try to sell it, at the last minute my bud said he couldn't make so I drove the 300+ miles alone as I dove in I asked myself, what the hell are you doing, the car ran so nice got so many thumbs up from people that I decided not to sell. I got at least 18-20" What are you asking for it" and dumb ass me told people that is was not for sale, Drove home, great trip, and 3 months later I changed my mind and put it up 4 sale again, since then I've had a few low ball offers but no buyers now I just wonder if any of those LARS people would have....................Dumb S---t..

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had guys call who wanted a 40 dash. They asked if I had any. I asked then what they were going to use it for and they said to cut down/fill to put in whatever. Told them sorry but they weren't for sale to be ruined-they weren't happy--oh well. Latet gave one to a guy redoing a nice 40 sedan.

timwhit likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sold my 62 Caddy to a guy that I should have told him no. he didn't seem to be a car guy at all, and was just weird, this was a really nice car with a perfect black leather interior. original paint but had a few issues. but real nice from 20 feet away. 6 months later I saw it in the Auto Trader for $500.00 not running. looked like it was sitting on the side of someones house in the weeds. I hope someone got it who knew how to keep old cars running and nice.

8. oldolds

oldolds

Availability of an item can change according to customers attitude.

TagMan, partsdawg and blackout78666 like this.
  9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Not a car, but a recent sale of a go-kart that needed work. This geeky guy and his kid showed up and after some talk I knew they weren't cut out for a project like this. Funny thing is the more I tried to talk them out of it, the more they wanted to buy it. I let it go.

studebaker eric likes this.
  10. I like to make sure the guy or gal that I make the deal with is totally happy to get whatever I'm selling. If I'm going to be forever married to them, I want us all to be happy!

11. A friend of mine had some nice original '50 Pontiac tail lights and this guy came up and wanted them. They were marked $50 and the guy started chizzling on him to lower the price. My friend said, "If they ain't worth 50 bucks, they ain't worth nothing", and threw them back in the truck. You should have seen the look on the guys face!

12. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I had acquired an extra 1960 Ford 352 engine and transmission, which ran fine, when pulled, and I was keeping it as a spare setup for my project. It was kind of getting in the way, and decided to sell it and put the cash into my car build instead. Some guy showed up after a phone call, and was totally excited about the engine. As I hoisted it up into mid-air, he told me it would go into a 1978 MGB "street cruiser"....rubber bumpers and all!!.....I nearly choked from laughing, and told him "I just can't do it dude'' shaking my head. He got upset of course, and told me I wasted his time, but I just snickered because he made me laugh the rest of the day!...........sometimes, ya just gotta say ''no'' and respect the moment!o_O---- Ray

13. This reminds me of the time a lady called me to do a little upholstery work on her car..The very next day her husband called me and asked why I hadnt picked her car up yet,,really gave me the riot act,,,,I( knew her husband was a professional head shrink.so I just told him,,,"Sir,In view of your current thinkung about this,,I dont really care if I work on your wifes car,,,Find someone else"..never heard another word from him or her.

14. 327Eric

327Eric

I used to care. Got a yard full of junk to prove it. I have been known to stick to my guns with lowballers, but after the last couple swap meets I went to, I could care less what happens to it. Show me the money, don't show me what you did with it.

15. S.F.

S.F.

Ill never understand this concept of thinking. If you are selling it/giving it away....why do you care what happens to it? If you care so much, than just keep it for the rest of your life. Ive sold parts, I don't care if the guy takes it right down to the scrap yard and crushes it; or he could turn around and make $10 k off of me. It was my decision to sell it, if it was worth 10K more than what I sold it for, that's my fault, I should have researched the object.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    2deuces64 likes this.
  16. I think you did right. Some people don't deserve cool things. I think I would not have the nerves to send him away......

On the other hand I hate it when people sell their car, bike, whatever and then whine forever about how bad the new owner treats it now, what ugly colour he painted it, what odd choices he made,...
    I once had a OT rare vintage vespa scooter, sold it and the new owner tossed the super rare original engine, threw in a modern one, painted it metallic flake and chromed every piece that he could remove.
    It was stupid but nothing to complain about, it was his now. (But probably I would have sold it to someone else if I'd knew what he would do.

17. Thats funny, the intake alone probably weighed as much as the motor he pulled out of the car.

18. exactly my way of thinking. i didn't want it so why should I care what happens to it.

19. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I like british sports cars for the most part...I myself have a TR3 off to the side, but when he told me the engine swap into his engine bay of his MGB, I was flabbergasted!....parts are hard to come by sometimes, and when someone just presents it into ''any old car'' scenario and doesn't seem realistic, it just makes me feel like I'm 'participating' in a dumb setup....I did sell the engine to a guy who used it, ''in a Ford'' and was pleased with it. Just something seems odd when a car isn't ''big enough'' to hold the engine, and leaves me shaking my head in confusion, and I couldn't realistically sell it to him knowing that whole setup was wrong...just too odd, and the fellow was dickering over the price at the same time....didn't feel right....sure gave me a laugh though!

czuch likes this.
  20. S.F.

S.F.

Right on....its pretty simple really. Now if you HAVE to sell it to pay for a family members medical bills, than I understand....but outside of that; sell it and don't look back.

21. oldolds

oldolds

S.F. You probably haven't sold enough stuff to understand what these guys are talking about. I saved that hard to find item waiting for the special car to put it in. I never found the car good enough to put it on and your going to do WHAT! with it! Is where these guys are coming from. Not like selling a used tire, more like selling a N.O.S. 32 Ford fender to a guy that says he is going to cut it up for his 37 Henway rat rod!

Montana1 and Pinstriper40 like this.
  22. stimpy

stimpy

once its sold its theres to do what they want , as most of the time its to people who have great ideas but no nohow

23. S.F.

S.F.

Man...I'm gonna have to show this to everyone

TailDrag likes this.
  24. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I suppose some would 'value' a part or car a little more than others...some would just simply throw anything into the wind for a cash value....if it isn't 'ethical' to me for whatever reason to sell it to a particular buyer, it isn't worth anything to me in the 1st place, or why I got it, and held onto it. I don't like selling something to someone who isn't interested in the value or emphasis of what is at hand....I'm not in it for ''the money'' and I can simply ''walk away'' because it's a not up to standards as I place on the item. To each his own of course, but some of us ''value'' the things we sell for whatever reason 'in the moment'...but if it's not worth the 'value' to the buyer as I had have seen it,-------who says it's wrong to step away and 'not' follow up a sale, and reserve the parts, or whatever, to someone who indeed appreciates the item(s)....I will reserve judgement 'in the moment' and sell an item in what it is worth to the individual....or give it away if it's truly worthwhile and appreciated in the same breath. To each his own;)

25. When I sell something, and the buyer sAys "I am going to put in a V10, I Am going to pAint this pink, I am going to put green leather seAts", I just think to myself- A- "you will never do Anything with this car because you are just another dreamer"" and B- After you hAve pAid me, you cAn stick the whole thing up your Arse for all I care"

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get it...it sounds a bit hokey, but I really believe in CARma...if you will. Now there are any number of everyday parts that I have had and sold with absolutely no care in the world as to who took it or what the hell they did with it. But then there are special parts. Parts that belong somewhere. I sort of made that engine a promise. I said I would find it a good home before I ripped it out and dropped a blown big block in its place. I know that sounds goofy to some, but I really did. If that is not crazy enough for you, I actually said it out loud. CARma ....and just like with actual Karma, what comes around goes around. AND you would be amazed at what has come around through the years! LOL

Raiman1959 likes this.
  27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sorry I dont get it, karma will come around when someone backs out on you.
    Seems like if you told the guy he could have it then you shoulda stuck by your word no matter what he was gonna do with it, maybe you shoulda ask the guy what he was gonna do with it first.

I cant say I would never do something like that (Ive made lots of mistakes)but if I did I would hafta admit I was in the wrong.
    None of us are perfect so.....

Hyfire and 1956 F100 like this.
  28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Not me, but...

A guy in California was selling a '50s convertible and made a deal with a guy on the east coast. Price was 50k firm.

The east coast guy flew out with his son, and drove a rental car to the seller's house. They see the car and start pointing out flaws in the paint, chrome, interior, etc. You see where this is going. Finally we get to the part where the deal is made. They offer 35k, cash, right now. The seller thinks for a moment, tells the father and son to step out of the garage, and without a parting goodbye closes the door in their face.

29. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Interesting!....I guess the whole ''car parts'' sales diorama is unique to the individual, who either buys or sells an item. I suppose I would fall into the ''value'' of a part, not really the monetary scenario. I know there is money to be made in selling parts, and I've bought from them myself. But, that said....I do hold a personal opinion that if a part "I have'' is not going to be valued and appreciated, because of the purchase, or way I gained it, to let go of it...then I have an ideal that someone 'should' be able to appreciate my items, as they were appreciated by me. My parts stash isn't great or grand, but I took the effort and time to accumulate my needed parts...and I would want the same appreciation I put into my own car to also relate to another purchasing those same parts. I just have never had the luxury of merely selling something, and saying ''good riddance'' to the whole lot. I scrimped, saved and put value into every little treasure I gathered, and still appreciate the bit I've invested. I would like to know it's gained an 'added' respect to whomever I've sold something too, during a sale, to the best of my knowledge at the moment. Nothing fantastic, but simply a decent and reasonable 'worth' of my time, and deciding to let something go. I guess it really does come down to a person's outlook, and leave it at that......it really isn't always about the money in this hobby/lifestyle.;)

30. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

great strategy, LOVE IT!!!!