Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

It looks like an original design very well done. Maybe a '49-'50 Merc rear and side mated with a '53-'54 Stude top. Laid out in fiberglass. Whoever built this knew what they were doing. The close clearance of the tire/wheel radius passing through compound curves is something else.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Seems like 'zoomies' started showing up around early '64. I'm not at all sure about the clutches but I'm sure somebody out there does. (late sixties maybe?)

3. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

That picture is taken during Goodwood festical of speed a few years ago, don't know by whom though.

4. 296ardun

296ardun

If I remember right, "zoomies" first became popular when Frank Cannon ran 199 at Lion's in '65 (I was on the other side of the world then so just read about it in Drag News). Woody Gilmore built Frank's car, and the headers that went with it...very quickly the fuel cars switched to zoomies. But they were used before this...I remember Jimmy Nix running his Chevy fueler at Fontana in maybe '63, running zoomies. You could tell as the tire smoke made the rooster tail pattern that zoomies did....and there were others as well...

I think that Keith Black innovated the slipper clutch around the same time....I don't remember the year, maybe '65, that Prudhomme won the Smoker's meet by slipping the clutch, no tire smoke. They had to replace the disc each run, but they won the meet. Then Black, with Paul Scheiffer, figured a way to use multiple discs, a floater plate, with centrifugal weights, to allow a slipper with two discs. The pressure plate began to fail because of the heat, so Sheiffer then stamped pressure plates from 4130 chrome moly.....(the other story I heard is that Black was at Riverside in '59 when Jocko Johnson ran an 8.35 et with his streamliner, no tire smoke as Jocko had put the clutch disc in backwards by mistake..and Black realized that low et's came from slipping the clutch, even accidently)........I am constructing this from memory, so those of you who remember better please chime in....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  5. Thanks Gabe, and 296 Ardun, there is so much history and information on this site.
    Speedy

Gabe Fernando and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. hoop

hoop

That was a Lloyd .I believe it was German car.

Speedys Garage and Gabe Fernando like this.
  8. Greybeard

Greybeard

Does anybody recognize this crank blown twin? I don't recall having seen it in the 60s or 70s

Attached Files:

9. That car is one of Mickey Thompson's many variations on a Top Gas car from the sixties. Jack Chrisman is standing at the back with his helmet on.

Bowtie Coupe and 296ardun like this.
  10. Greybeard

Greybeard

Paul Blevins (RIP) - knew him pretty well back in 65 - 67. I met him when I worked at Duffy's in Red Bank before moving to Ocean Auto Machine in Southard where I did heads and got some support to run my G/G Henry J. I found out Paul lived just south of Freehold, next door to a life-long friend of mine, so I got to see him about once a week and hung out.. I watched that Nomad get assembled and saw it before it was lettered, sitting in his driveway. He was the first serious racer I knew - he wanted nothing less than to win at Indy. When I enlisted in the Navy in the fall of '67, I sold my '57 4 door wagon to that same friend, who -ironically - sold it to Joe Scotto (whom I didn't know).

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Greybeard thanks for filling in the gaps I encourage everyone that can to add some history to some of these pictures. I appreciate the effort that the people who have contributed to this and other post/threads or whatever you call them have made but I am disappointed when there is no information on them. Now guys don't get on my case for saying that, I do appreciate your work just try to have some info to go along with the photo. As always thank you for your contributions.

Pat

tommyd, Bowtie Coupe and 296ardun like this.
  12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I remember the story about when Paul Blevins was running Pro Stock and Dick Moroso bet him $1,000 dollars that he could not out qualify Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins.
    Dick lost the bet when Paul out qualified Grumpy.

Jimbo

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks for posting...Holly Hedrich lived in La Canada, CA, right outside Pasadena (same town as Don Montgomery), and came into Blair's to buy his parts and his nitro when I worked there. He later built a rear engined blown Chrysler modified roadster to race the Speed Sport roadster, but the car was too heavy to be really competitive. It did make the cover of Hot Rod Magazine, though. Holly later went to work at Scheiffer Clutches, and also worked for Keith Black. Interesting that he towed in the pre-interstate days to Lawrenceville, IL....remember that there was no money in those days, just a trophy. I doubt that Ray Godman is actually driving the competing roadster as Ray was shot in the spine by a sniper during the Korean War and paralyzed from the waist down (but who knows for sure?) Ray would field the famous "Tennessee Boll Weevil" roadsters and top fuel dragsters....won a bunch of national meets over the years.

14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I heard that when taking apart the GBP car one time they found that their clutch was set up wrong, and that Keith figured that is whey they went fast that nite and from then after is when they won 245 runs and it is all history after that

Then the slipper set up's were made after their long winning streak at the beach, since Keith did want to let their secret out while they were putting every body else on the trailer

15. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Greybeard - here is another photo. Two aluminum V8's, one Oldsmobile and one Buick. The Buick was available in a Pontiac Tempest but for the most part was a Buick engine.
    [​IMG]

16. Greybeard

Greybeard

Thanks TTwomotor!! Truly appreciate it.

hipster likes this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hoop
    Wow, that thing must have been sliced and diced if it started out as a Lloyd(Alexander).
    I can only say that because (quite coincidently) a friend of mine built two Lloyds in the
    late 60's/early70's, one was a sbc powered sedan, the other a Mopar powered wagon.
    Ok, I looked again, kinda does look like the roof is off of a Lloyd wagon, but reversed.
    Quarter panels also look Lloyd(ish), but those coves on the side look strangely like an early Corvette.
    Pretty wierd looking car either way.

hipster and Gabe Fernando like this.
  18. jivin jer

jivin jer

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

22. jivin jer

jivin jer

23. jivin jer

jivin jer

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

28. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I posted a pic from the '62 AHRA Championships with zoomie's on an AF/D.
    Green Valley Nov. 1962 (41) Zoomies.JPG

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Syndicate twin, unsure of date.
    [​IMG]