Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A Coupe Y-Block Build (Father&Son)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NathanxStewart, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Hello, my name is Nathan Stewart I started building my first hot rod when I was 18 and am still building it now at the age of 20. I'm going to post pictures of my build from day one, just a couple of pictures each week. I'm a 3rd generation hot rodder, mechanic, fabricator, apsiring upholsterer. I'm building a 1931 Model A Coupe. My plans for this build are to use a 292 y-block with a 3 deuce Fenton intake, T-5 Mustang transmission, '57 Ford 9 inch rear end. Here me and my dad used 2X4 rectangular tubing for the frame. Modeled it after an original Model A frame. Pinched the frame in the front. Z'd the frame 3 inches in the front and 8 inches in the rear. Will be continuing to post pictures of my build. Thanks for looking!

-Nathan

image.jpeg

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Frame looks good! Glad to see you keeping it all FORD! Keep posting and i'le keep looking!

3. I'm with King Ford.Always good to see more young blood here.And father-son project to boot!:cool:

4. metal man

metal man

Grandfather, Father , and Son build. This is a third generation hot rodder, and his grandpa is still building hot rods too. This coupe will have parts donated from grandpa's early days in the fifties. It should be fun to see what the kid comes up with.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - doing good

NathanxStewart and metal man like this.
  6. is that your car in your avatar? if so I like the headers...guess I will still like them if it is not your car. I have a 292 in my '30 tudor also. nice looking frame, can't wait to see more.

7. Thank you sir! Early ford parts are our favorite

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Thank you! Fortunately old hot rods are in my blood haha

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Thank you!!

10. Yes it is! First pair of headers I've made, obviously had help from my dad. We used an original 36 Ford drive shaft and 1 3/4 " mandrel bends. Very cool, have any pictures? Thank you sir, they'll be plenty more to see!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  11. Didn't want the wishbones to hang down below the frame so I came up with these wishbone mounts and have a hole on the other side of the frame to get a socket on the nut.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452042375.242181.jpg

12. The start of my headlight bar/ shock mount. Had to widen the headlight bar 2 inches, was a bit too narrow. The headlight bar that we started with is unknown.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452043099.650063.jpg

13. mlake01

mlake01

Awesome! My Dad helped me build my first rod when I was just 14 years old, so I know what a special time that is. Cherish it!

That was 40 years ago, and Dad has been gone for 10 now. Sure do miss him!

Sent from my fart smone using crapatalk

14. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Great build, great to see a young guy doin' it like those before him. You are very lucky and talented.
    I'm subscribed.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hi, Nathan. Cooool teardrops at wishbone mounts! Frame is sanitary...Step in front effective, and subtle.
    Also a Y-block fan, mine used to EAT Chevys.

16. ...I love A coupes, yours looks rite on the money to me, very nice job , my compliments to you all....can we see some pics of the car, or do we have to wait?

NathanxStewart and metal man like this.
  17. Great recipe here! Family of builders/rodders + young talent + creativity + old Ford parts topped off with a Y-block. Going to be great

18. This is gonna be a good build thread, great pictures so far, so good to see a young guy here, and of course, welcome to the HAMB.

19. Thank you, it's for sure a good time! Sorry to hear that, I'm sure you have many good memories though!

20. Thank you very much! I'm definitely excited to get more involved in this industry as I get older.

21. Thank you! Yeah I didn't want the mounts to look plain cause they will be exposed plus we had to increase the thickness on the frame rail for the tapered shaft on the wishbone.

We plan on boring my 292 .060 over to make it a 301, we'll mill the heads for 11:1 compression, use bigger valves, and use all forged steel internals. I already have a steel crank. Were undecided on the cam.

22. Thank you! Haha unfortunately you will have to wait until we get to that point

23. Thank you very much sir, I'm really excited for this build since it's my first!

24. Thank you!!

1927graham likes this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Subscribed! Looking forward to watching this thread. Nathan, your skills and attitude are very impressive. I think you'll cherish these times with your dad and gramps for the rest of your life, as I do my memories of working with my dad, who taught me so much. Your shop looks incredible, so does the frame. Thanks for posting!

metal man and NathanxStewart like this.
  26. This is the johnny joint I'll be using at the front of the rear wishbone

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452102962.542869.jpg

Durbinspeedshop and Dog_Patch like this.
  27. Used the yolk from a 32 front wishbone and we welded the johnny joint to it to tie the 36' rear wishbones together.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452103434.047923.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452103512.853578.jpg

Dog_Patch, lothiandon1940 and Blues4U like this.
  28. We welded a gusset on the yolk with a hole in it for a possible future torque arm

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452103656.620918.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452103702.927656.jpg

Okie Pete, Spooky, kiwijeff and 8 others like this.
  29. Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm very fortunate for having the talented father and grandfather I have. Thank you again!

itsadisease likes this.
  30. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Always good to see another yblock as an engine choice!

Spooky, 1927graham, metal man and 2 others like this.