Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Second Coming... Again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Second Coming... Again...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If you think 1932 Fords are expensive,,,,,,
    Price a 356
    But they, to me, have the same beauty but I was raised with a sports car mechanic father.

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So cool. Knew you caught 356 fever (again) with Jay's Revs Institute stuff.

Edit: No, I know . . . you have never recovered from 356 fever.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  4. Nobey

Nobey

Expensive; Yes, there was a steering wheel for one on E-B this month, $6995.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Need more slow days/short weeks! Great video and I especially like the fact that Rod pointed out the great work Neil did with basic hand tools and gas welding

6. 427PostGalx

427PostGalx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So Cal

Always refreshing to see classic vehicles being worked in different directions by talented people with passion. Great post.

Landmule likes this.
  7. Cool video. I follow Rod on Instagram he does some really nice stuff. Rod is finishing a car his grandfather had started but never finished at Valley for his Dad as well.

8. tallhtrddr

tallhtrddr

Very refreshing. Liked the video. Very cool he still has the car his grandfather helped him build

9. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Rod is the man! I had the joy of helping him do the 3D work for the Gmund he just restored.. you'll be seeing more out of him in the future in the traditional world.. I hope :)

10. tuckpoint

tuckpoint
    from omaha,nebr

11. jroberts

jroberts

I too have a sports car background to my interest in cars in general. Several friends of those days had 356's and I always lusted after them. This video was an incredible reminder how really neat those cars are. Thanks, for posting this it brightened by day.

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Ryan,

My friend, and mentor, when I was starting in radio was KXOK/St. Louis Air Personality Johnny Rabbitt. He bought his 356 new when he was working in Phoenix, drove it to St. Louis when he got the job here.

Here's a pic of it when we had it on display at the 1965 KXOK Autorama at Keil Auditorium. The date was October 17, 1965...and that's Kathy, my girlfriend at the time, on the hood of Rab's White 356 o-so-cool Speedster ! (BTW: BOTH bodies were in excellent shape !)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for this cool thread !

NOTE: Starbird, Farhner, Casper, etc., were all at this show.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

13. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Cool video....I'm passionate about most any car genre as long as it's 'tastefully' done, whether restored or hot-rodded....356's are really in a top-notch class any way one looks at it....wish I could win a lottery and buy one!!!:D

14. I have always lusted after the 356's having had a friend in high school that had a coupe,I fell in love with them,especially the speedsters.

Problem is I looked at a 1956 speedster back in the 80's before they got expensive but my friend who just happened to also be Rod Emory said with me drive the car it looked like a piss ant hauling a bale of hay.

I didn't buy it but have always regretted it. HRP

barryvanhook likes this.
  15. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

since we're all about history here...

bob-o, autobilly and Jimmy B like this.
  16. It must have been his dad I met at Bonneville about 3 years ago? Had a long beer fueled bench racing session with him at the KOA.................

17. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Great work in the family tradition. Cool video. A 356 Cab sits in my garage next to my two hot rods. Hard to say which car I like the best.

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Nice to see something different...........on a diffrent note kind of,I never knew or even thought about putting the front fenders off the bugs on the back and cutting them off short for a more extended swoopy look (???)on the baha bugs but it makes sense for a better look than just lopping part of the back ones off I guess.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  19. Hot Rodder or not, who would not love to drive that sucker through those curves?:cool: Actually many of the same design concepts of building a hot rod. I always loved hot rodded sports cars.

20. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

21. flamingokid

flamingokid

My parents had a pair of 356's before I was born,later had 911's .And BTW,I've always liked Valley Customs work and was stunned when I found out that Neil and Rod Emory were related.The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree,does it .;)

22. longhorizon

longhorizon

Hot damn! Thank you Ryan. My dad was a Porsche dealer (p the 356 era). I learned a quirky appreciation of cars from him but the rod and custom stuff was a world that I didn't know even existed. Interesting, what we pass on (and what we don't pass on) to our children... Lucky and talented man that Rod. And of course his father and grandfather too. ...on an unrelated note, I'm *definitely* buying one of those T-shirts!

23. autobilly

autobilly

Only a bit OT. An interesting film that ties in nicely with "Neil" and "Valley".

24. catdad49

catdad49

More car history, what a way to start the New Year. Looks like Rod is carrying on the family history quite nicely! The run thru the twisties. was cool, although they weren' t really pushing it. Love the Louvers!

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Not only is Rod inspiring to watch as a craftsman he's also inspiring as a father and family man. I'm in constant amazement at how much he is involved with whether it's cars, his kids or his wife. Definitely an ambassador for what a hard working family man looks like and a great appreciation for cars!

27. That was me!

bob-o likes this.
  28. I left out our meeting "area" since it sounded a little awkward! I remember you had some stuff you needed posted? BTW, it was great meeting you! And the 356 stuff.......pure gold.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  29. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll get no complaints from me.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451778987.612642.jpg

30. bob-o

bob-o

I've done some finish body work and 3D laser scanning for Rod off and on over the past year. Dude is as talented as he is kind hearted. Can't say enough good things about the man.