Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I think it has been mentioned before, but why did the starting rollers go away?

3. Because of these.
    [​IMG]

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

5. My photo from Connecticut Dragway.

6. dmorago

dmorago

Never knew they tried turbo's.

7. My photos, top one from Connecticut Dragway, bottom two from New England Dragway.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  8. Yep, smoked the tires like crazy, too much power. Turbo lag was still a problem then
    as well.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    hendelec likes this.
  9. Thanks for the cool pics of Kosty! Nice shots.

10. rooman

rooman

Photo by me from late 60's, maybe 1970. Coonamia drag strip, Port Pirie, South Australia. 1/8 mile, club run facility. The dragster is powered by a Holden "grey" motor--pretty much a scaled down Blue Flame Chevy six--came from the factory at 138 cubic inches but typically racers got them up to 155 cu in.

Roo

11. I've always suspected that there were safety concerns with starting these cars in gear in the pits, where there was likely to be lots of spectators nearby. I don't know the exact details of the process but can imagine that there were instances when a fired car could get off the rollers and cause some mayhem in a hurry. :eek:

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  12. Roller were dangerous in comparison.
    Still better than push starting on pit roads! A kid was killed at the Winternationals in 68-69? when an altered went out of control in the pits.

296ardun likes this.
  13. 296ardun

296ardun

275505.jpg
    From George Klass...Carroll Brothers from Texas, Bones Carroll drove, blown Olds. They later went on to field some very strong fuelers.

1442994.jpg
    Also from George Klass: Bader & Ferrera at Riverside. Gas altered from Cypress, CA, powered by a blown Cad.

1539820.jpg
    and also from George Klass: Bivens & Fisher, Tom McEwen was one of the several drivers

3093992.jpg
    final one from George Klass...early Peters & Frank...like a couple of other twins, they tried one blower, later both engines got lungs.

ds-ewald3.jpg
    Don Ewald at Beeline

Goosic brothers.jpg
    Goosic Brothers, from Arizona. First ran as a regular roadster, then body moved back to make it a modified roadster.

goosic brothers2.jpg
    Here is the earlier version of the Goosic brothers roadster. Notice Lefty Mudersbach on the right.

scan0047-5.jpg
    Yes, another 554. Can't get enough of this car, in the Garlits Museum now.

dr2.jpg
    Jack Doyle's "Slider" AA/GD, thanks to 55 Nomad for ID.

Lazarus-vs-OrangeCrate.jpg
    Chicago's Palmer Lazarus in the '56, racing "the Orange Crate" Crosley altered. Union Grove, WI?

7017627.jpg
    Yet another George Klass: Vic Hubbard's "Flying Bedstead," late '50s, one of the longest dragsters of its time. Looks like Half Moon Bay.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  14. skywolf

skywolf

15. Fedman

Fedman

Wow! This Thread is really heating up again with some outstanding Pics!
    Thanks to all Contributors!

Gabe Fernando and skywolf like this.